• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dash is not well :( *Update - 16/05*

No metacam :( Will an ear infection be simple to treat?

I would not say 'simple', but it can be treatable. It can be prolonged though. Morse was left with a chronic infection which he lived with for over 4 years. He was not on treatment all the time, but he was more often on than off. He had numerous procedures under GA too.

Here is some more information :

Otitis Externa (Outer ear infection) http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/eye_and_ear/otitis_externa/overview_of_otitis_externa.html

Otitis media and interna (middle and inner ear infection) http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

I would not say 'simple', but it can be treatable. It can be prolonged though. Morse was left with a chronic infection which he lived with for over 4 years. He was not on treatment all the time, but he was more often on than off. He had numerous procedures under GA too.

Here is some more information :

Otitis Externa (Outer ear infection) http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/eye_and_ear/otitis_externa/overview_of_otitis_externa.html

Otitis media and interna (middle and inner ear infection) http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

Thanks I'll have a read, I have read a bit online already. Just been back to shed and he was on top level so he can obviously still get up there. I had another look in his ears but couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Aw I hope it's not prolonged :( Seems just as I was finally getting their accommodation sorted after they bonded so well, things are going wrong now!

Thanks all, he was on the upper level this morning and came for breakfast but not eaten much and he dropped 2 tiny poops, at least he's pooing but he's obviously not eating enough, probably due to pain :( He did hop down the trofast steps though without any wobbles which is good but he went to hide under his table again :( I hope the vet can figure out what's wrong cos there's definitely something going on poor boy :( Will update when we get back, appt is at 9.45

Well the appointment went pretty well, bless Dash he was so good :love: He's got ear mites :( He's got Baytril and they're also treating him for middle ear infection and EC as a precaution. And they've all got a course of worming treatment - I didn't think worming was considered necessary for rabbits now? She said I've been very observant and obviously it's always best to catch things early! So that's good. Hopefully he'll be feeling better very soon, he's got a follow up appointment on Friday - my day off work luckily!!

Well the appointment went pretty well, bless Dash he was so good :love: He's got ear mites :( He's got Baytril and they're also treating him for middle ear infection and EC as a precaution. And they've all got a course of worming treatment - I didn't think worming was considered necessary for rabbits now? She said I've been very observant and obviously it's always best to catch things early! So that's good. Hopefully he'll be feeling better very soon, he's got a follow up appointment on Friday - my day off work luckily!!

Poor chap. The 'wormer' (Fenbendazole) will be as a precaution against any EC involvement rather than to treat intestinal worms.

Did the Vet also prescribe Metacam and was he given Ivermectin for the ear mites ? Your other Rabbits would need treatment with Ivermectin too as Ear Mites are contagious

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Psoroptes_Inf.htm

Poor chap. The 'wormer' (Fenbendazole) will be as a precaution against any EC involvement rather than to treat intestinal worms.

Did the Vet also prescribe Metacam and was he given Ivermectin for the ear mites ? Your other Rabbits would need treatment with Ivermectin too as Ear Mites are contagious

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Psoroptes_Inf.htm

I asked about the others being at risk and she said they'd need the worming course as a precaution? He's got another medicine on order to collect tomorrow, not sure what it is, just got the Baytril today, she didn't give any metacam.

I asked about the others being at risk and she said they'd need the worming course as a precaution? He's got another medicine on order to collect tomorrow, not sure what it is, just got the Baytril today, she didn't give any metacam.

But ear infections are painful :cry: Personally I would be insisting on having Metacam.

So glad that you have an answer and have treatment for him.

Sending lots of vibes for his recovery xxx

You will probably be getting the Ivermectin tomorrow, why not today? Can you see any signs of the ear mites and a q for JJ do ear mites cause ear infection? I hope the others don't catch them and hope Dash is better soon.

You will probably be getting the Ivermectin tomorrow, why not today? Can you see any signs of the ear mites and a q for JJ do ear mites cause ear infection? I hope the others don't catch them and hope Dash is better soon.

They had to order the other medication in so it will arrive tomorrow. I couldn't see anything in his ears but the vet could see them when she looked in with the torch thingy they use!!

Secondary bacterial infection can occur, yes.

Right I got a call from the vets today saying the medication they were ordering wasn't available so they would give me panacur instead, so I was confused as I thought he was getting something other than a wormer. He has the Baytril. Luckily I managed to get there after work before they closed so I got the panacur and asked if that was all he needed and she said she didn't want to give him too many things at once, he's not being treated for the ear mites but will see how he's getting on when I have the follow up appointment on Friday. I'm so confused!! I also asked about pain relief so she gave me some. I said I felt he might be put off eating if he's in pain as he is eating but not with much enthusiasm :( I'm hoping things are clearer after my appt on Friday! I like the vet I'm seeing on Friday (she sorted my dogs eye problem after a failed treatment for conjunctivitis) and she has a special interest in rabbits.

And I'm so unpopular with all 4 bunnies now after having to medicate/work them all :roll: Had to go get them some fresh willow in apology!

Glad you managed to get the painkiller for Dash. I'm surprised the vet didn't treat the ear mites though :?. I'm not an expert, but I don't think they'll disappear themselves.

Back