• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Daisy

Like others have said, can you please call and say you need some pain relief? Or take her to another.. I'm sorry your vet has been useless but she really needs pain relief.... How can they leave a poor bunny in pain, so so stupid! Hope you find another vet that will help!!

Just did her second feed since the vets, she had 9ml of Oxbow and 3ml of water, when we put her down she had a tiny slurp from the bowl of water (put one in incase she would drink from that instead - bottle still there)
Still refusing to solo feed, but that's an improvement still. She was more into the oxbow this time around!
Did a little tummy rub as well to hopefully move things along - also read that erm.. rubbing her bumhole will stimulate poop, so we did that too... she wasn't impressed lol!

I've never rubbed the botty - that's a new one on me :lol:

have you any Infacol? If you haven't, you should acquire some, as it's really useful stuff.

A bit of reading - which you may have seen before:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

Keep posting Sharpie :wave:

Hey all,
Just been in with Daisy and managed to get her to syringe eat 6ml before she stopped taking it,
She definitely looks in a lot more discomfort today..
I'm going to call and see if i can have some pain meds, but does it cause more issues for the tummy? As in, make her even more constipated?
She still hasn't pooped yet, i've just put her back into her single house for the day.

Hey all,
Just been in with Daisy and managed to get her to syringe eat 6ml before she stopped taking it,
She definitely looks in a lot more discomfort today..
I'm going to call and see if i can have some pain meds, but does it cause more issues for the tummy? As in, make her even more constipated?
She still hasn't pooped yet, i've just put her back into her single house for the day.

If she has not poo'd then she needs to go back to the Vet straight away. She really does sound to be in need of inpatient care :cry:

Please read this link about gut stasis and how serious it can become

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Unless you can be 100% certain that she does not have a gastrointestinal obstruction then I would not attempt to syringe feed her any more. Syringe feeding an obstructed Rabbit can make things much worse. I really do urge you to get Daisy seen by a Vet again this morning. Daisy already sounds to be getting worse and at the very least she needs pain relief.

If she has not poo'd then she needs to go back to the Vet straight away. She really does sound to be in need of inpatient care :cry:

Please read this link about gut stasis and how serious it can become

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Unless you can be 100% certain that she does not have a gastrointestinal obstruction then I would not attempt to syringe feed her any more. Syringe feeding an obstructed Rabbit can make things much worse. I really do urge you to get Daisy seen by a Vet again this morning. Daisy already sounds to be getting worse and at the very least she needs pain relief.

Just got off the phone, they said they cant give me any medication without being seen again, but there's no free appointments today, all they can do is put me down so if a vet finished a consultation early he can see me quickly but that could mean waiting hours to be seen :/

I'll have a chat with my dad as he'll be taking me and will also ask if he can help pay the bill as i used my cash yesterday.
When i was giving her massages i could feel a gas build up (used to get it with Lady Blue) and as i massaged she started opening her eyes again, as she's been squinty this morning.

Will let you know how i get on

Spoke to my dad.. He said he only has £10 at the most and can't take me there today as he's busy... -_-
As it's also a saturday i'm stressed now as well as it'll be weekend rates which is loads more.. ughh i don't know what to do!?

The Vet said she is bruised somewhere which is making her not eat, causing her not to poop, but as i said i can feel gas inside her, he couldn't..

Spoke to my dad.. He said he only has £10 at the most and can't take me there today as he's busy... -_-
As it's also a saturday i'm stressed now as well as it'll be weekend rates which is loads more.. ughh i don't know what to do!?

The Vet said she is bruised somewhere which is making her not eat, causing her not to poop, but as i said i can feel gas inside her, he couldn't..

I would not be happy with this from your vet. Firstly on examination yesterday they thought she had sustained an injury and yet didn't give painkillers and now they insist that she has another consultation to prescribe them when you phone to say she appears worse.

If I were you I would phone them today, explaining that you can't afford a second consultation and that she really needs painkillers at least.

Poor Daisy :(

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous.. I'm not taking this out on you, but seriously poor daisy needs pain relief!! I've never heard anything like it and they are being so stupid! Can you not at least please try another vet?! Or seriously keep on at them until they are willing to give you some! I'm sorry but daisy seriously needs some and some gut mobility drugs?

I don't want to scare you, but the longer the leave it, the worse it is getting and surely you want her better? It really isn't going to do so without medication and she'll only get even worse! What vet are you using? There are loads of people on here that live in London so maybe someone can suggest one for you?? Maybe start another urgent thread! Xx

Just got off the phone, they said they cant give me any medication without being seen again, but there's no free appointments today, all they can do is put me down so if a vet finished a consultation early he can see me quickly but that could mean waiting hours to be seen :/

I'll have a chat with my dad as he'll be taking me and will also ask if he can help pay the bill as i used my cash yesterday.
When i was giving her massages i could feel a gas build up (used to get it with Lady Blue) and as i massaged she started opening her eyes again, as she's been squinty this morning.

Will let you know how i get on

Hi Sharpie

I'm sorry you're in this position with Daisy. Would you have to pay another consult fee if they fitted you in today? It wouldn't be fair on you, as they have only just seen you and didn't cover all bases when you were there last time, in my view!

I sent you a couple of links in my earlier post to you - one of them talks about Infacol and massages ...

If, and only if, your vet has completely ruled out a blockage on your last consult, you can do tummy massages. You can give Infacol anyway, regardless of the problem Daisy has. I would definitely do this today, if you do nothing else! Dosage - 1ml per hour for three doses, and then three times daily.

Thinking of you both x

I agree with Ruth that she needs to be seen by another vet quickly. I'm in London too and I've used Wanstead Animal Hospital, East London, in the past for OOH emergencies. Not sure if that's anywhere near you? I've seen a different vet each time but whenever I've taken one of my rabbits in when they've stopped eating they have carried out very thoriugh checks: tummy, teeth, ears, temperature, blood glucose and weight. Unfortunately they are expensive so that may not be much help to you in your current situation :( I don't know if you can pay by instalments with them, would be worth checking.

Also, when you've phoned the vet have you spoken directly to the vet or a nurse or to a receptionist? Unfortunately I've found that receptionists don't always realise that a rabbit not eating and pooing should be admitted as an emergency and not a regular appointment.

Please keep us posted, but I will add my voice to all these others to say this is a critical situation now. You urgently need to see a vet (a different one if you can, that understands rabbits better) and make an agreement to pay them in instalments. Also the Infacol that MightyMax mentioned is only about £3 in the supermarket and will help to disperse any gas (it's in the baby section). It isn't a substitute for proper drugs and painkillers though. Good luck.

Hey all, I broke down earlier as I could see she was in so much pain yet could do nothing to help, I ended up texting everyone I knew to ask if I could borrow some money. Luckily my friend online (I've never met her only play games online with her) said she'd pay the fee for Me and I could pay her back whenever I get the funds, so I quickly got daisy booked in as a "when possible" appointment.
got to the vets for 3pm and waited nearly an hour before being seen.
He said she had some small spurs on her back teeth but nothing to cause issues.
Her temp is low, she has gas and a possible blockage.
He gave her a gut mobility injection and an anti inflammatory and told me to continue with oxbow and to give 5ml pineapple juice 4 times daily to break down anything causing issues.
I managed to get some infacol after I wrote on here and gave her some.

She's chilling in our room atm and she seems do much better, she's hopping and drinking water, she isn't hunched as much and isn't squinty no more.
She's just had 6ml of oxbow and some pineapple juice (she loved it)
Just waiting for signs of poo now!

Glad to hear Daisy is doing better. Amazing of your online friend to lend you the money! Do you have painkiller to give her at home now? That is really important. Also the pineapple juice thing is not particularly modern thinking. I would look around for a more bunny savvy vet if you need to go again as it really makes a difference with rabbits. Loads of vibes for Daisy and we'll done for getting her seen again. Keep us updated on how she's doing x

Phew. Happy to see that a vet has seen her again and that some pain relief and gut mobility meds have been given.
Did they give you any meds to give her at home with you? What a lovely friend you have!
Xx

Hey all, I broke down earlier as I could see she was in so much pain yet could do nothing to help, I ended up texting everyone I knew to ask if I could borrow some money. Luckily my friend online (I've never met her only play games online with her) said she'd pay the fee for Me and I could pay her back whenever I get the funds, so I quickly got daisy booked in as a "when possible" appointment.
got to the vets for 3pm and waited nearly an hour before being seen.
He said she had some small spurs on her back teeth but nothing to cause issues.
Her temp is low, she has gas and a possible blockage.
He gave her a gut mobility injection and an anti inflammatory and told me to continue with oxbow and to give 5ml pineapple juice 4 times daily to break down anything causing issues.
I managed to get some infacol after I wrote on here and gave her some.

She's chilling in our room atm and she seems do much better, she's hopping and drinking water, she isn't hunched as much and isn't squinty no more.
She's just had 6ml of oxbow and some pineapple juice (she loved it)
Just waiting for signs of poo now!

Hi Sharpie

I'm really glad your friend was able to help you out :)

Just to say, please keep a very close eye on Daisy to make sure the syringe feeding is helping her and she *is* getting better. A low temperature and a possible blockage would raise my concerns with syringe feeding, but I am trusting your vet has got it right!

Pineapple juice is still often recommended by vets, even good ones, so it's worth doing as it will hydrate her and be tasty. Just for future info, the vet can easily supply you with gut motility and anti-inflammatory meds for you to give by mouth. They are much cheaper than being given by injection. However, vets often give the first one by injection as it's absorbed so much quicker.

Loads of vibes for you and Daisy :)

ETA: Your vet may have meant Daisy could have a cecal impaction. Read about that here:

http://rabbit.org/disorders-of-the-cecum/

Guys!!! WE HAVE POO!!!! 4 poops just turned up!!! One is just like a fur ball! I'm so bloody relieved!!!

Back