• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Daisy

Sharpie

Warren Scout
Hey all,

I let my fluffs out this morning (around 10:30) and normally the second i open their door Daisy is amongst the first out and nomming their special morning hay/herb mix i put out for them, but today... she just sat in the corner (she took her morning tiny treat)
I've offered her lettuce, carrot, cabbage, dandelion leaves but still she just turns away.. :/
My dads checked her teeth with me and they're beautiful, we've felt around and she has no lumps or bumps anywhere on her,
I put my ear to her tummy and it gurgled but no popping noises (used to doing it when Lady Blue was ill)
She also vibrates..? it feels like vibrating but looks like shes shivering (only every now and then)..?
Her breathing is normal, no sharp breaths or noises, no gunk at her nose...

Ive put her into our temp cage inside their enclosure so she can still talk to her friends, but i can monitor her to see if she's going to eat, if shes drinking and more importantly if shes pooping! as i cant tell in the hutch as there's 3 other bunnies.
I'm going to check on her in an hour or so, if nothing has changed then i'm going to have to try and borrow some money from family to get her seen to, i haven't a penny to my name atm and don't get paid til next week :(

Scared to hell that its G.I Statis... praying it may just be some gas making her not feel well.. any ideas?
Ive put a little dish of Oxbow Critical care in there with her aswell as it was the only thing Lady Blue ate when she refused all other foods, so hoping she may eat some of that?!
16406542_1212039995558810_6837811760666092079_n_zpsvrgduf07.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Hey all,

I let my fluffs out this morning (around 10:30) and normally the second i open their door Daisy is amongst the first out and nomming their special morning hay/herb mix i put out for them, but today... she just sat in the corner (she took her morning tiny treat)
I've offered her lettuce, carrot, cabbage, dandelion leaves but still she just turns away.. :/
My dads checked her teeth with me and they're beautiful, we've felt around and she has no lumps or bumps anywhere on her,
I put my ear to her tummy and it gurgled but no popping noises (used to doing it when Lady Blue was ill)
She also vibrates..? it feels like vibrating but looks like shes shivering (only every now and then)..?

Ive put her into our temp cage inside their enclosure so she can still talk to her friends, but i can monitor her to see if she's going to eat, if shes drinking and more importantly if shes pooping! as i cant tell in the hutch as there's 3 other bunnies.
I'm going to check on her in an hour or so, if nothing has changed then i'm going to have to try and borrow some money from family to get her seen to, i haven't a penny to my name atm and don't get paid til next week :(

Scared to hell that its G.I Statis... praying it may just be some gas making her not feel well.. any ideas?
[/URL][/IMG]

Poor girl :cry: The shivering may be pain related. Do her ears feel cold ? She does look to be very uncomfortable :cry: Do you know when she last ate/poo'd ? If she has not done so overnight and is still not now then she really does need to be seen by a Vet. The sooner any problem is treated the better the prognosis. Is she moving about at all or just staying put ?

I hope that someone will be able to lend you the money to get her seen by a Vet today x

Poor girl :cry: The shivering may be pain related. Do her ears feel cold ? She does look to be very uncomfortable :cry: Do you know when she last ate/poo'd ? If she has not done so overnight and is still not now then she really does need to be seen by a Vet. The sooner any problem is treated the better the prognosis. Is she moving about at all or just staying put ?

I hope that someone will be able to lend you the money to get her seen by a Vet today x

Hey!
I put them to bed around 7pm last night and she was devouring her veg then, She hops a couple but then just sits there, after we had held her she stomped and ran and sat in their cardboard box and was still there when i came back out with the temp house :(
Her ears are nice and warm as was her body temp, i checked around her neck (on the skin) and she was nice and toasty..

As for the pooping, i haven't a clue as she lives with 3 other bunnies, there's tons of poop in the house, but i couldn't be 100% if she had done any :(

Hey!
I put them to bed around 7pm last night and she was devouring her veg then, She hops a couple but then just sits there, after we had held her she stomped and ran and sat in their cardboard box and was still there when i came back out with the temp house :(
Her ears are nice and warm as was her body temp, i checked around her neck (on the skin) and she was nice and toasty..

As for the pooping, i haven't a clue as she lives with 3 other bunnies, there's tons of poop in the house, but i couldn't be 100% if she had done any :(

I would see if you can sort out some funds for a Vet visit this afternoon. Could the PDSA help

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/vet-services/eligibility

Sending lots of vibes for her!

Is there any chance you can give her a handful of fresh hay, any grass or even herbs/veg to help tempt her to eat? As pellets will be the least thing she'll probably fancy!

Like Jane said is there any chance you can take her to the vets ASAP and then arrange payment later this afternoon? Normally the vets will always be Willing to help and the main thing is to get her treated with the correct medication and give pain relief as she does sound to be in a lot of pain. I'm sure the vets will be willing to help out?! Xx

Last edited:
Oh dear. Good plan putting her separately to keep an eye on her output. When the head of my quad (Frosty) gets a tummy pressing episode I find that a gentle massage and encouraging him to move helps. I also find that brambles go down well when he has a bad tummy (tummy pressing and refusing food).

I hope you can get her to a vet. Mine will do installment payments. Worth a try. Good luck.

Hey all
i managed to scrounge together £30 and my dad said if needs be he could pay the extra.
We went to our vets for 2:20pm.
Vet said he doesn't think she has a blockage or G.I Stasis (Yet) but rather an injury, like a bruised side or mouth from a fall or attack?
I said she's the stroppy one, so i cant see my other 3 attacking her, if anything shes attacked them and as theyve run theyve booted her?
He said her teeth are perfect, no lumps or bumps anywhere, tummy feels good and her temp is good.
Was told to force feed oxbow and water and continue watching, if she still wont solo eat by monday then to bring her back and they'll sedate her and investigate further (i.e checking mouth for problems)
Brought her home and me and my OH have managed to syringe her 6ml of Oxbow and 1ml of water before she had enough and wasn't taking anymore in.
We're going to continue doing this all day as vet said as long as she has something inside her her gut wont shut down.
Come bedtime i will put her with the others as the temp house isnt warm or safe enough for nighttime, but during the day ill keep her in it to monitor poop.

Fingers crossed she'll solo eat by tomorrow!
p.s She currently has nugget, herbs, hay, cucumber and oxbow in her house in case she decides to eat - along with a bottle of water :)

Sending lots of vibes for her!

Is there any chance you can give her a handful of fresh hay, any grass or even herbs/veg to help tempt her to eat? As pellets will be the least thing she'll probably fancy!

Like Jane said is there any chance you can take her to the vets ASAP and then arrange payment later this afternoon? Normally the vets will always be Willing to help and the main thing is to get her treated with the correct medication and give pain relief as she does sound to be in a lot of pain. I'm sure the vets will be willing to help out?! Xx

I tried Hay, mixed herbs, cucumber, carrot, dandelions, nuggets and even her fave treats and she refused, she's now been seen by the vets :)

Has she had any pain relief ?

No he didn't offer me any, he was going to give me some tablet for her tummy but he said for now he'll leave it as it can upset their bowels even more,
and he said about giving her an anti inflammatory but said the same, it'll upset her tummy more so best not to?

Hey all,

Ive put a little dish of Oxbow Critical care in there with her aswell as it was the only thing Lady Blue ate when she refused all other foods, so hoping she may eat some of that?!
[/URL][/IMG]

Hiya Sharpie :wave:

Sorry to hear this ... Just come online to see your message ...

Glad you've seen the vet. Did they give you any gut motility drugs to take home, or any pain relief at all?

Cross posted with you. I see your vet thought better of it?

Hiya Sharpie :wave:

Sorry to hear this ... Just come online to see your message ...

Glad you've seen the vet. Did they give you any gut motility drugs to take home, or any pain relief at all?

Cross posted with you. I see your vet thought better of it?

Yeh he said he doesn't want to risk giving her anything in case it makes her tummy worse?
I offered her her fave treat again and she seemed more interested, she sniffed it and nudged it around but still never ate it, but that's an improvement from just totally blanking it?!

Yeh he said he doesn't want to risk giving her anything in case it makes her tummy worse?
I offered her her fave treat again and she seemed more interested, she sniffed it and nudged it around but still never ate it, but that's an improvement from just totally blanking it?!

Well, um, she really needs to eat and poo :)

Well, um, she really needs to eat and poo :)

I did find it a bit odd, him saying she's in pain but not giving her pain relief :/
I'm just going to keep force feeding her, if she starts to really refuse then ill take her back up there and demand pain killers :)

No he didn't offer me any, he was going to give me some tablet for her tummy but he said for now he'll leave it as it can upset their bowels even more,
and he said about giving her an anti inflammatory but said the same, it'll upset her tummy more so best not to?

Oh dear :cry: Well a Bunny in pain is unlikely to eat. I cant really understand why the Vet's thinking on this one.

Poor wee Daisy :cry:

I did find it a bit odd, him saying she's in pain but not giving her pain relief :/
I'm just going to keep force feeding her, if she starts to really refuse then ill take her back up there and demand pain killers :)

If you make the food you feed her quite watery, you'll get some fluid in there as well, which will help hydrate any stomach contents that need 'moving on' x

Hi Sharpe

You could call the vet and ask will he prescribe some painkiller, as he has already seen and examined her.

Pandora

If you make the food you feed her quite watery, you'll get some fluid in there as well, which will help hydrate any stomach contents that need 'moving on' x

Just did her second feed since the vets, she had 9ml of Oxbow and 3ml of water, when we put her down she had a tiny slurp from the bowl of water (put one in incase she would drink from that instead - bottle still there)
Still refusing to solo feed, but that's an improvement still. She was more into the oxbow this time around!
Did a little tummy rub as well to hopefully move things along - also read that erm.. rubbing her bumhole will stimulate poop, so we did that too... she wasn't impressed lol!

So sorry your vet wasn't much help :( its infuriating when someone doesn't have much money, but finds some to get to a vet, and then the vet is useless :( your bun is obviously in pain, as she isn't eating. You need to call them and insist they provide her with metacam (pain relief) at the very least :( if you need to visit the vet again, please try to find a different one :(

Back