• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Daisy not right again :( U/D Gained half a kg!!!

Oh I've done that sort of thing so many times ..

Try some tasty food - at least she's drinking. Not drooling though, is she?

Sometimes the appetite needs a kick start. That's so long as there's nothing else going on that's making her feel poorly, little lamb x

I went to tescos for some baby food and an apple, and she ate a bit of Apple :) haven't tried the baby food yet, that's next... No, no drooling...

I do suspect that the vets aren't giving her maximum metacam, I'm going to ask tomorrow... And she's only getting a once daily injection, instead of twice daily oral, so maybe that's not helping either..?

It may have something to do with it as rabbits metabolise it faster than other animals, don't they? What dose do they inject?

I went to tescos for some baby food and an apple, and she ate a bit of Apple :) haven't tried the baby food yet, that's next... No, no drooling...

Glad to hear she's not drooling :)

Hope she's taken to a bit of food since I've been out and come back in again :wave:

You could print this off and take it with you :

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16521861

How is Daisy doing this morning ? xx

Thanks Jane, that's great, I haven't got a printer but I can still show him if needs be.
At 11.15pm last night Daisy suddenly came to life and decided she was hungry :) she had quite a few bramble leaves, some apple, mint and porridge oats :) she ate enough for me to consider it safe to go to bed, as I was physically wrecked yesterday and struggling.
This morning she is better than yesterday morning, but not as good as last night... She has been in the garden and eaten some grass, also some carroty treats and a few oats. She doesn't want anything else at the moment, but we are back at the vets in an hour anyway. I'm so glad they open on Sunday's now, only started recently, for a couple of hours. I've been every day this week!! Luckily I have booked tomorrow off work, was supposed to be having a day out, but now I'll be looking after Daisy. As long as she gets better, that's all that matters...

Back again... It's a real physical workout taking Daisy to the vets, she's heavy, her carry box is huge so difficult to carry, and it's hard to get in the back of my 3 door car!! I'm knackered now. Same as yesterday; the vet expressed her bladder, now she's stuffing her face with hay in her litter tray!! It's very bizarre. I asked him to check the metacam doses.. Yesterday he just repeated what the new vet had given the day before, which was nearly half of what the vet before that gave her!! No wonder she's been struggling :( so he's increased it back to what it should be, thank goodness. Hopefully she'll improve more now!!

Back again... It's a real physical workout taking Daisy to the vets, she's heavy, her carry box is huge so difficult to carry, and it's hard to get in the back of my 3 door car!! I'm knackered now. Same as yesterday; the vet expressed her bladder, now she's stuffing her face with hay in her litter tray!! It's very bizarre. I asked him to check the metacam doses.. Yesterday he just repeated what the new vet had given the day before, which was nearly half of what the vet before that gave her!! No wonder she's been struggling :( so he's increased it back to what it should be, thank goodness. Hopefully she'll improve more now!!

I'm glad the Vet has adjusted the dose of Metacam. Did she suggest giving Daisy some fluid therapy ? If her wee were more dilute it may not sting so much when she wees meaning she wont hold her wee in ??

I'm glad the Vet has adjusted the dose of Metacam. Did she suggest giving Daisy some fluid therapy ? If her wee were more dilute it may not sting so much when she wees meaning she wont hold her wee in ??

If she has not improved more by tomorrow I'll leave her there again for IV fluids; my vets don't like doing S/C for some reason. She is still weeing lots though, her litter tray is always soaked!

I'm glad to hear she has a better Metacam dose now. Also stuffing her face in the litter tray sounds good :D

Best vibes for her recovery x

If she has not improved more by tomorrow I'll leave her there again for IV fluids; my vets don't like doing S/C for some reason. She is still weeing lots though, her litter tray is always soaked!

Has the Vet suggested a full blood profile to check on her kidney function, amongst other things ? I hope Daisy will start to feel a lot better soon xx

Daisy is already feeling a lot better, I'm sure because of her increased metacam dose :) that idiot vet, who would even think of reducing it when she's clearly suffering?? :evil:
Daisy has just had a big sprig of mint and a bunch of coriander :) phew!! :) thanks for all the vibes everyone, please keep them coming!! X

Daisy is already feeling a lot better, I'm sure because of her increased metacam dose :) that idiot vet, who would even think of reducing it when she's clearly suffering?? :evil:
Daisy has just had a big sprig of mint and a bunch of coriander :) phew!! :) thanks for all the vibes everyone, please keep them coming!! X

Glad that hear blood test results were all OK. Hopefully the improvement that she now seems to be showing will continue xx

Back