• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Daisy not right again :( U/D Gained half a kg!!!

That sounds a positive update, fingers and paws crossed here that your gorgeous girlie continues to improve. Hope you sleep ok tonight xxx

I stayed downstairs with her until 4am, kept feeding her grass and leaves. She did eat, but not loads. Not eating again this morning :( she is always worse in the morning, maybe because the meds have worn off? Got appointment in half an hour :(

I stayed downstairs with her until 4am, kept feeding her grass and leaves. She did eat, but not loads. Not eating again this morning :( she is always worse in the morning, maybe because the meds have worn off? Got appointment in half an hour :(

Sorry that she has gone down hill. I hope the Vet can suggest what else can be done to try to help her xx

Sorry that she has gone down hill. I hope the Vet can suggest what else can be done to try to help her xx

Thanks Jane, we're back now. The vet expressed her bladder again, and I'm convinced this is the problem now, as she started eating again as soon as we got home! Only bits, but she wouldn't eat anything before we went. The urinalysis results were back already; there is a small amount of blood in her urine, but that's all... They couldn't get a full result due to the high calcium content. Still have to wait for culture results next week. What do you think about the blood? Might she have bladder cancer? I'm not sure what we're going to do now?

Thanks Jane, we're back now. The vet expressed her bladder again, and I'm convinced this is the problem now, as she started eating again as soon as we got home! Only bits, but she wouldn't eat anything before we went. The urinalysis results were back already; there is a small amount of blood in her urine, but that's all... They couldn't get a full result due to the high calcium content. Still have to wait for culture results next week. What do you think about the blood? Might she have bladder cancer? I'm not sure what we're going to do now?

Blood in the urine can occur with a bladder infection and/or due to bladder sludge. It is MUCH more likely to be that than to a malignancy x

Blood in the urine can occur with a bladder infection and/or due to bladder sludge. It is MUCH more likely to be that than to a malignancy x

I was going to say this. One of the first symptoms of a UTI in humans is blood in the urine.

Ok, that's good... What do you think we should do now though?? I don't know whether to risk a GA bladder flush or not :( especially with her not eating already...

I think I would want to wait and see what the culture results are first. What are the vets suggesting as next steps?

I'm sorry they didn't get a full urine result, but blood in the urine is highly likely to be infection (caused by the bladder sludge) and not what you fear x

The vet I saw this morning (and again tomorrow) is the practice owner, but I don't usually see him as he's allergic to rabbits...! But he's the only one there this weekend. I suppose I will have to wait until Monday to discuss it with Vince, who treated her yesterday... Maybe the culture will show she needs a different antibiotic? She is still not happy at all though, not eating much today :(

I am out of my mind with worry again now; Daisy is going to starve because I can't syringe feed her. She is eating some oat hay and an occasional bramble leaf, but that's it.

I am out of my mind with worry again now; Daisy is going to starve because I can't syringe feed her. She is eating some oat hay and an occasional bramble leaf, but that's it.

No porridge oats mixed with a bit of grated apple? A little bit of dried out brown toast? (I hope I don't get shot down in flames for these suggestions - I don't mean by you ripminnie :))

What about fluids - is she drinking at all?

Is the reason you can't syringe feed her because she is big and won't tolerate it? If so, I would try to mix your own recovery food up. Mine have always hated Critical Care etc and I must admit it doesn't smell great :( I've never tried with Ella's baby food, but I know others have with success and it's what I would use next time. Try mixing that with a few other liquidised ingredients (e.g. kale, grass etc) and make it quite liquidy. Then I would try to syringe feed her with it with her on the floor between your knees (you should obviously be kneeling). She won't be able to go backwards (because your body will be in the way) and hold the syringe in one hand and hold her head still with the other. If this isn't successful try the mixture in a saucer and offer it to her like that.

No porridge oats mixed with a bit of grated apple? A little bit of dried out brown toast? (I hope I don't get shot down in flames for these suggestions - I don't mean by you ripminnie :))

What about fluids - is she drinking at all?

Thank you, I hadn't thought of Apple, and haven't tried porridge oats, although I do have some. She eats bits of things if I keep waving them in her face. She has just had a couple of sprigs of parsley which is something, I suppose, and she had a fenugreek crunchie earlier. She is drinking, yes, she had quite a bit of water last night. She keeps getting fed up with me pestering her with food, and goes to hide behind different chairs, bless her. My lounge is covered with little piles of hay and plates of food, in the places she sits...!

Thank you, I hadn't thought of Apple, and haven't tried porridge oats, although I do have some. She eats bits of things if I keep waving them in her face. She has just had a couple of sprigs of parsley which is something, I suppose, and she had a fenugreek crunchie earlier. She is drinking, yes, she had quite a bit of water last night. She keeps getting fed up with me pestering her with food, and goes to hide behind different chairs, bless her. My lounge is covered with little piles of hay and plates of food, in the places she sits...!

Oh I've done that sort of thing so many times ..

Try some tasty food - at least she's drinking. Not drooling though, is she?

Sometimes the appetite needs a kick start. That's so long as there's nothing else going on that's making her feel poorly, little lamb x

Are you still certain that she does not have any issues with her teeth aswell as with her bladder ?

I'm pretty certain her teeth are ok... She has eaten a few hard treats this afternoon, and some new long stranded oat hay that I've just got from timothyhay.co.uk, which is lovely... She has also been in the garden and had a bit of grass.

Back