• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Clever Lilac

Orenoko

Mama Doe
As some of you may have read, Lilac is a nightmare to handle, which is a problem as she currently needs eye drops. We've had a few stressful days to say the least!

I've been giving her a fenugreek crunchie after every medication time to try and get her to associate it with something positive. I decided that rather than chase her around I'd see if I could encourage her on to a chair using said treats. Gave it a few goes over the weekend, put a big cushion in front of the armchair, which she happily hopped onto, but she wouldn't go as far the armchair itself.

Then suddenly yesterday afternoon I turned round and she's sitting up on the armchair by herself. I quickly grabbed a treat and gave it to her, which she took and ran off. Five minutes later she's back again! So I gave her another one, and again a couple more times (she would never normally get all these treats, I just wanted to encourage her).

I got up this morning, and she must've heard me moving as when I came into the living room she was already there on the chair, so I quickly grabbed the eye drops and we had such a pleasant experience for a change!

I've replaced the fenugreek with dried beetroot pieces as they're much smaller and I don't want her eating too many treats, but I'm hoping we have a breakthrough. All in all, I think I have a very clever, not to mention greedy, bunny!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I may have created a monster if she expects this treatment forever lol. But if it reduces the stress for her of getting the eye drops into her then I'll just have to deal with it!

The difference between my two is crazy, Lilac freaks out most of the time if you so much as stroke her (I believe she lived outdoors for about 3 years prior to me adopting her and didn't get much human contact) whereas I could probably put eye drops in Rupert's eyes all day long and he'd still come back for more, he's that friendly! I don't know much about his history other than him being a house bun who's owners couldn't keep him any more.

Good girl!

Hopefully it won't cost you too dearly once the drops aren't needed!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
Haha I may keep it up if it helps me be able to give her a general once over rather than having to chase her and burrito her all the time!

Well done Lilac::love: Your mum thinks she's trained you but we all know its the other way round :lol:

Lilac ,you are a clever girl! What does Rupert think? Tomorrow there may be two bunnies waiting for a treat!:love:

Lilac is such a fast learner. I am surprise that she doesn't sit on the arm chair when ever she sees you. ha ha Any pics?

Funny you should mention it, this was the pair of them earlier while I was working! The cheek of it!
2f72c2ec8e958924ab3d95e9ee9cf9cf.jpg

Brilliant :D We tried to train Lopsy like this (windowsill = pellets, which he loves) but he's quite easily distracted, so nearly 6yrs later we're still sighing at him and asking him where he should be some nights! He'll go in a carrier with carrot strip treats though, it's easy when they're food oriented! Aboleth was food oriented AND smart, except for the carrier bit (too smart! :lol:) but Chibbs isn't food oriented and isn't very smart, so we're just lucky she likes to move between areas a lot! :lol:

Back