• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chibbs off to the vets

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
She was a bit... off last night. Lopsy was eating pellets slowly, which usually means either the other bunny is eating slowly and he feels he can take his time, or he's a bit off. He was also what looked like tummy pressing but I suspected he might just be sat funny so I kmved the pellets bowl and he stopped pressing :roll: Chibbs ate a piece of kale and then came back for more pellets, slowly. I told the OH to see what they were like this morning as I suspected shenanigans.

Sure enough, Lopsy was right as rain but Chibbs didn't want to eat anything except fenugreek crunchies (emergency tempting treats) and she was eating them slowly, usually she's slightly faster than Lopsy. She's still bright, feisty, etc., so I'd rather get her sorted now than leave it. She's not happy about it XD I'm also slightly more happy about taking her in lockdown because the vets are much better at handling them than I am!

Dunno about her output, haven't been able to tell, but I suspect teeth: she does have tongue hooks and maybe they've started to bother her. She's eating 'crunchy' foods but not 'grindy' foods, as I told the vet nurse on the phone this morning :)

Oh no, I hope that Chibbs gets on OK at the vets. 'Tis too cold to be unwell outside :( Sending lots of vibes.

Oh, no, I'm sorry Chibbs isn't feeling well. :( I hope the vet can help her and that she'll soon feel better. Sending her lots and lots of vibes. I'm glad she's still bright and feisty, at least. You're doing the right thing getting her checked out now instead of waiting.

Good luck Chibbs. At least you have spotted it early. Hope all goes well at the vet's.

Thanks everyone, she's home and recovering fine, you wouldn't know anything was wrong :lol:

Sounds like Dental to me, sending lots of vibes x
We were both wrong! Chilly Chibbs had hypothermia :oops: She's obviously not as good at regulating her temperature in her late middle age as Lopsy, who's a bit older. Nothing to make you feel like a bad bunny mummy (and daddy, Matt is a bit :oops: too) than not making it warm enough for your outdoor buns. They're currently in the downstairs bathroom and back passage, and Chibbs has warmed up sufficiently and the metoclopramide has kicked in that she's eating (hay) like a horse. Lopsy is less impresssed at being carried in the litter tray and then being humped for ages by Chibbs. I didn't take them to the vets together because she's an absolute nightmare to him all the way there, back and for ages afterwards so if I can reduce it to just the bit afterwards it's a bit less rough on him :love:

We've got metoclopramide and metacam (she's a 24kg dog :lol:) plus some Select Recovery liquid feed but, to be honest, I don't think she needs that! We'll start her on it if she's not eating as much as she should be. I'm not looking forward to the inevitably disastrous manhandling we'll need to to with syringing medication! She's also had 24hrs worth of sub-q fluids so looking forward to a tidal wee wave :lol:

She's happily hopping about exploring and eating: she's had some difficulty getting in and out of the high-sided litter tray but I think that's more unusual surface (carpet offcuts; the laminate is sooo slippy!) as she's managed to get on and off the stool with no trouble. Just hoping Lopsy's OK :roll:

I'll post some pics in a bit :)

oh sorry to hear this, poor girlie, well done for acting quickly and getting a vet check. Hope they both they enjoy being cosy indoors x

i'm glad it's all sorted & hope the improvement contiues.
it sure is cold out there. Tulip is being pretty obstinate about going in at night without Pepper. i am so cold from getting her in i can hardly type.

My goodness hypothermia. I saw Rhianna's thread. So glad you got her sorted so quickly and that they are both indoors.

Have just ordered straw for my 3 shed rabbits, Frosty and Daisy. No space for them indoors ...

It makes you wonder about all the rabbits and guinea pigs outside in flimsy hutches if even a caring well informed owner like you has this issue.

Back