• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cause of weird poops?

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
Either Casper or Sophie keeps leaving poops like this:

AprMVaOh.jpg

They look like a caecotroph clumped together with regular poops? Does anyone know what could be the reason for this? If I know who it is, I can take them to the vets for an exam, but I haven't been able to catch who's doing it. It's been happening for several weeks now, plus regular uneaten caecotrophs.

Looks like the result of inflammation in the GI tract, possibly the small intestines. Are both Rabbits on daily Metacam ? Metacam is a NSAID and these drugs can cause inflammation in the GI tract. Although it is much less common in Rabbits than in Dogs and Cats.

Looks like the result of inflammation in the GI tract, possibly the small intestines. Are both Rabbits on daily Metacam ? Metacam is a NSAID and these drugs can cause inflammation in the GI tract. Although it is much less common in Rabbits than in Dogs and Cats.
Oh, I see... Yes, they're both on daily Metacam. I didn't know that could cause inflammation in the GI tract. Thank you for your reply. I'll contact the vets on Monday and see what we can do about it. I wish I knew who it is.

I did not know this either. Thank you for sharing.

Just as an update, I spoke to a vet nurse on the my vets' WhatsApp, and she thought it's a diet thing, and recommended not giving greens for a week so they'll eat more hay, and see if getting more fibre into their bellies will help.

Since I stopped giving them greens I haven't seen a single weird poop like in the photo! No regular uneaten caecotrophs, either. So, that's really great. I don't know, though, whether that means the greens are the cause, or if the extra hay they must've eaten to compensate has helped. I never gave them that many greens to begin with, so I don't imagine they must have eaten lots more hay than usual...

good result though, whatever the reason. You must be pleased. Have Sophie & Casper noticed something is missing do you think?

Perhaps the type of greens? Or the moisture content?
Sending vibes they continue to do well.
Ooh, right, it could be that there's only one or two that are causing trouble, rather than all of them... Maybe I could try them one by one.
Thank you for the vibes.

good result though, whatever the reason. You must be pleased. Have Sophie & Casper noticed something is missing do you think?
I am pleased, yes! I think they must've noticed, but they haven't been upset about it, thankfully. Greens have never been their favourite, really. And they're still getting grass and flowers from the balcony.

What a good result :D
Yes! :D

Now that I've been keeping a close eye on Sophie's litter tray habits, I've found out it's Sophie doing the weird poops. Sadly, they're now back, because I've been giving her some veggies to get some extra fluid into her. She seems fine with the plants and flowers from my balcony, but vegetables from the store seem to cause these weird caecotroph/fecal hybrids. :?

Back