• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Casper's at the vets (teeth this time)

I am pleased to hear your bunnies are doing so well.
Even if his tooth roots are close to being an issue, it sounds like they are growing slowly since it has already been five years. Sending vibes it will be a long time,if ever,before it affects Casper's quality of life. Sending vibes for you and Sophie too.

I'm glad it all went well and that they are home again :love:
I understand you are confused when the vet and the nurse says different things:? I hope your vet will be able to clear it up.
How disappointing they didn't get water or their treats :(

Sorry not read all the posts as I am not too well. Just wanted to say that I think there was a bit of misunderstanding re tooth root growth. The VN saying they only grow upwards was almost certainly referring to the crowns of the teeth or the upper tooth roots. Lower Tooth roots that elongate do grow down into the mandible . Upper elongated tooth roots grow up into the nasal passages and toward the nasolacrimal ducts.

Zamrmau.jpg

I am pleased to hear your bunnies are doing so well.
Even if his tooth roots are close to being an issue, it sounds like they are growing slowly since it has already been five years. Sending vibes it will be a long time,if ever,before it affects Casper's quality of life. Sending vibes for you and Sophie too.
Thank you, bunny momma. I really appreciate your caring and the vibes. :) It's actually a bit odd, because he had an x-ray in January and his roots hadn't gotten any worse then compared to last time, and his upper molar roots were fine then, not elongated, so they must've gotten worse just this year. So, I'm not sure if they elongate at a constant, even rate, or if it's rather random periods of getting worse followed by no change for a while.

I'm glad it all went well and that they are home again :love:
I understand you are confused when the vet and the nurse says different things:? I hope your vet will be able to clear it up.
How disappointing they didn't get water or their treats :(
Thank you for caring, too. :love: I just sent the vets a message, so we'll see what they say. I asked about the water, too. Hopefully they did get it, but just in a different bowl or something...

Sorry not read all the posts as I am not too well. Just wanted to say that I think there was a bit of misunderstanding re tooth root growth. The VN saying they only grow upwards was almost certainly referring to the crowns of the teeth or the upper tooth roots. Lower Tooth roots that elongate do grow down into the mandible . Upper elongated tooth roots grow up into the nasal passages and toward the nasolacrimal ducts.

Zamrmau.jpg
Thank you for explaining, IM. That's what I thought, but we were definitely talking about the lower molar roots; she said, 'The roots can't break through the jaw, because they only grow upwards, so the only thing that happens is that those molars get spurs more quickly'. I was having a good brain day for once, so I can actually remember what she said. :lol:

I hope you can feel a bit better soon. I'm sorry you're not feeling too well.

I’m glad it went well and they are eating well :love: I hope you can get some answers from the vet xx

Thank you, Zoobec. :love:

The vet nurse I saw yesterday called me after I sent them my message, and we've got it all cleared up! They gave them water in a different bowl, so they did have water, thankfully, so I'm not sure why Sophie was so super thirsty when we got home! And the root thing, she explained that if the molars get too long, that puts pressure on the opposing molars, which pushes the roots of those molars deeper, which will then make them break through and cause abscesses, but as long as we keep his molars short (so, keep treating his spurs), that won't happen. So, that's very reassuring, and I understand now. :)

Last edited:
Neither of them really wanted their pellets this morning, so I think they might have some lingering discomfort after all. They're still eating their hay just fine, though, so that's more important.

I need a good brain day:lol:

Thanks for explaining that, i get it now. Sounds like you feel more relaxed too. I hope S&C are back on their nuggets soon but as you say, at least they are prioritising the important stuff

Sending lots more vibes for your recovering bunnies. Eating hay is great, I wouldn't worry too much about the nuggets :)

I need a good brain day:lol:

Thanks for explaining that, i get it now. Sounds like you feel more relaxed too. I hope S&C are back on their nuggets soon but as you say, at least they are prioritising the important stuff
If I knew where to get them, I'd tell you. :lol:

I do feel more relaxed now, yes. Thank you for hoping they'll be back on their nuggets soon. :)

Sending lots more vibes for your recovering bunnies. Eating hay is great, I wouldn't worry too much about the nuggets :)
Thank you for the vibes, Pets mum. :) Yeah, I'm not too worried. They need their pellets to keep their weight on, but a few days aren't going to matter much, I don't think.

If I knew where to get them, I'd tell you. [emoji38]

I do feel more relaxed now, yes. Thank you for hoping they'll be back on their nuggets soon. :)

Thank you for the vibes, Pets mum. :) Yeah, I'm not too worried. They need their pellets to keep their weight on, but a few days aren't going to matter much, I don't think.
So glad they're doing well :)

Yea I wouldn't worry about the pellets too much, they'll be fine without them for a bit x

Sophie's still been a bit fussy about her pellets, eating some of them and then only eating the rest when I hand-feed them to her, but today she ate her pellets right away, except for one, which she ate when I held it in front of her face. I'm so proud of her. :lol::love:

Aww, I told her you're proud of her, too, but couldn't see her reaction because she has her head in a tunnel, but I'm sure she appreciates it. :love:

Back