• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buying in bulk.

Dylan123

Warren Scout
Hi so today I found out the only local petshop with good prices is closing down- the other two are an absolute rip off. And I think I can probably get 10kg bags of pellets for cheaper than usual(Burgess Excel) so If I store the majority of the pellets in an airtight container and put a small amount in an airtight jar so the box isn't being opened every day is it possible to make it last?(10kg bag for 1 rabbit with an eggcup full of pellets per day) I bought 4kg in January and I'm still not finished so I don't know if it would last. Thanks for any replies.

Babsie,that's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure. I'll take advantage of the lower prices and buy a few bags of hay. There is still alot of the 4kg bag left after 4 months.

The bags I buy are only small so I've never had this problem, but I'm sure I've heard before that once they have been open for 6 months they should be discarded? I'm not 100% sure but it makes sense because as so say they may go stale.

The bags I buy are only small so I've never had this problem, but I'm sure I've heard before that once they have been open for 6 months they should be discarded? I'm not 100% sure but it makes sense because as so say they may go stale.
That's probably true this bag has been open for 4 months but stored in an airtight container that isn't opened every day.I store enough for a week or two weeks in a jar with easy access so I'm not opening the other box every day.

Babsie,that's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure. I'll take advantage of the lower prices and buy a few bags of hay. There is still alot of the 4kg bag left after 4 months.

Yes, I have two rabbits and find a small bag lasts for ages.

Thank you for all of the replies,I'll just take advantage of the sale and buy a 4kg bag and a few bags of hay.

Back