• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnyruns.

I have to point out that not everyone drives :D:wave: It took me 2 hrs on buses to get Cherry from Elaines :( the poor girl was terrified, and I would a) never do it again, b) have much preferred a bunnyrun, even though it is only a short distance.

As for long distance home checks I had a volunteer come to my house and check my current set up and what I planned to put Granite in once they became outside bunnies, as Charlie and Autumn were already in the one I planned to (and did) buy.

My set ups are on here for all to see, so it would be hard to 'fake it'.

Plus if bunnies are advertised on here, then it is really hard not to fall in love with them, and offer them a home ;)

If it is more than a few hours then I would question whether it is in the bunnies best interest due to length of time spent in the car when almost certainly there are bunnies in need closer to where the person lives.

Indeed. One wonders how many "less attractive" rabbits are left in rescue month after month because local people looking to adopt are cherry-picking the prettier ones half way across the country. In other words, do bunny runs cause other rabbits to be stuck in rescue locally longer than necessary?

I cannot imagine turning my nose up at all the local rabbits in need of a home for the sake of a slightly fluffier lionhead or an unusually coloured Dutch in Southampton, Kent or Durham.

I think definitely don't use the person in question again Kris, but don't reconsider the idea of bunnyruns in general, don't tar us all with the same brush :?

eta: I didn't realise this was the run involving Angel, Hetty must be beside herself. What a nightmare!

Last edited:
Indeed. One wonders how many "less attractive" rabbits are left in rescue month after month because local people looking to adopt are cherry-picking the prettier ones half way across the country. In other words, do bunny runs cause other rabbits to be stuck in rescue locally longer than necessary?

I cannot imagine turning my nose up at all the local rabbits in need of a home for the sake of a slightly fluffier lionhead or an unusually coloured Dutch in Southampton, Kent or Durham.

This is a very good point :)

I was very grateful for one of the buns in question to get a home as he had been here for 6 months with no interest! :(

If anymore runs do go ahead I will be stricter regarding addresses, times and phone numbers.

I have not heard the other persons side of the story so am not judging as such, but it turned out to be a very stressful time for my fosterer and for two bunnies to be dropped from their carriers to the floor is unacceptable in any situation.

Plus if bunnies are advertised on here, then it is really hard not to fall in love with them, and offer them a home ;)

I agree - a lot of us on here look through RIN for a new addition to the family, fall for a bun because of his/her story and/or looks, and want to take them on and do photo updates for the rescue etc so they stay as part of the RU family. I went for my Jester solely because he's gorgeous and I wanted him :oops: ... his bunny run was only an hour ish though.

Ideally everyone would go to their nearest rescue, but while we have RIN to oggle at, I think it's unlikely. And of course there are circumstances where a bunny run is in the bun's best interest - like the elderly / disabled ones going to Rainbow, and others who take on special needs buns that may not otherwise find a forever home.

I was very grateful for one of the buns in question to get a home as he had been here for 6 months with no interest! :(

If anymore runs do go ahead I will be stricter regarding addresses, times and phone numbers.

I have not heard the other persons side of the story so am not judging as such, but it turned out to be a very stressful time for my fosterer and for two bunnies to be dropped from their carriers to the floor is unacceptable in any situation.

Kris if I were you in future I would take responsibility for ensuring everyone involved knows the plan, keep an eye on threads to see who's offered what and update everyone of the latest plan. It was obvious from posts that this bunny run was getting confused, It needed someone to say "right this is what is happening and who is meeting who where..

Completely agree, and am amazed that an RUer would do that, which makes me think that you must be right and there must be more to it.

Lets please remember that bunny runs work and occasionally there is a problem. For every bunny that is rehomed from a rescue, it frees up a space to take in one off their waiting list

Bunny runs are often done by people who would be making the journey in that direction anyway, as well as others who want to devote some time in getting a rescue rabbit a new home. I would hate for people who have used bunny runs in the past, to feel guilty that they did not go and collect their bunny personally. Every run is unique so lets not make them all the same.

Considering who the other person is, I have met her many times and she is amazingly helpful and loves her bunnies so i can't possibly believe she would deliberately put bunnies lives at risk. She is always one of the first people to offer to help with transport and never takes a penny petrol money.:love:

Given that it is so close to Christmas and travelling conditions are completely horrendous maybe emotions are running a little high in this particular situation :?

Although I agree long distances can be a bit traumatic for a bun, isn't it better that they actually have a home in the end than be stuck in a rescue?

I have actually rehomed one of the buns in question on this run. I am far away from essex yes, but, I made it clear before i agreed to home her that I wouldn't be able to travel as i don't drive and the fosterer said a bunnyrun will be arranged but if not they will drive themselves, which they did and I am unbelievably grateful for.

However, although I do think that although there was definitely some mis-communtication involved, it was irresponsible to just turn up on the day without having confirmed details and changing arrangements at the last minute. I completely understand her frustration as I think we were all a little confused (probably all my fault!) but as far as I knew she agreed to take the Rabbits from Daventry to Manchester then on the day she said she couldn't do it. I have no idea what happened in between those two communications.

Anyway, the run worked out in the end. Angel in in her new home here now :) and Teddy is with me at the moment, waiting for his new mum, who has driven a long way today to come and get him. I think that two bunnies having new forever homes is a worthy outcome of this whole escapade!

And Kris, I will be contributing towards the petrol costs :).

Just like to add too that i cannot believe Teddy had no interest :shock::shock::shock:

I'm sat with him now he is adorable :love::love:

Last edited:
Lets please remember that bunny runs work and occasionally there is a problem. For every bunny that is rehomed from a rescue, it frees up a space to take in one off their waiting list

Bunny runs are often done by people who would be making the journey in that direction anyway, as well as others who want to devote some time in getting a rescue rabbit a new home. I would hate for people who have used bunny runs in the past, to feel guilty that they did not go and collect their bunny personally. Every run is unique so lets not make them all the same.

Thanks Raine, the voice of reason. I have taken part in bunny runs at my own expense re petrol etc. and it would be a shame if these were knocked on the head as they can be useful n getting needy buns to suitable homes/sanctuaries. Fully understand the arguement about the pretty bunny aspect but as said before, each case should be looked at on it's own merits and organised properly. I took part in getting one frm Scotland to the South Coast and that was done with military precision (and a very deserving bun)

I think we have to keep things in perspective here ..

not everyone agrees in bun runs ... there are certain ones that i wouldnt organise .. but i do think they have a part in getting buns to their new homes in some circumstances .

i think each request for a bun run has to be considered individualy . And it is the rescues responsibility to decide if the bun in question is fit and able to travel a long distance . I have refused to rehome to homes with a long distance involved if i think the bun wouldnt cope.

I also think responsibility has to be taken jointly by the reascue and the person adopting the rabbit for the organisation of the bun run . Any one else helping is doing just that "helping"

I would also like to point out that there are many reasons for people adopting buns from afar .

As said sometimes someone just falls for a particular bunny ...nothing wrong with that in my opinion . yes it may mean others nearer get overlooked but most get picked in the end.

Sometimes people look to a particular rescue rather than at a particular rabbit. We get lots of people come to us because we neuter both boys and girls...we also get people near to us going to rescues further away because they routinely vaccinate when we only vaccinate before rehoming on request.

Also there isnt always what a person wants in rescue nearby .. if i wanted a bun over 6 yr old and there wasnt one localy i would go further afield .

so people who dont rehome from local rescues shouldnt feel bad about it .

we always encourage adopters to try and travel at least part way .. but it isnt always possible . why should a bun lose out on a loving home because someone cant drive or darnt drive on motorways etc.

but this comes down to different rescues having different re homing policies ..
we all need to respect what each individual rescue decides on this matter ...All rescues are different .

I think I well known for being completely paranoid about bunnyruns. Last year 2 rabbits died during runs I was involved in. One because I had to wait for over 24 hours to get permission to get the bunny the op he needed because he was still legally owned by the rspca. He died here despite my best efforts to pull him through, it was awful. He was supose to be picked up the day before but I refused to let him travel with the others which also caused issues. Another died the day after it arrived in its new home :( i also had another here for a week while waiting for the next leg of the journey that needed to see a vet, I offered repeatedly to take him but his new owner wouldn't let me :?

I think I well known for being completely paranoid about bunnyruns. Last year 2 rabbits died during runs I was involved in. One because I had to wait for over 24 hours to get permission to get the bunny the op he needed because he was still legally owned by the rspca. He died here despite my best efforts to pull him through, it was awful. He was supose to be picked up the day before but I refused to let him travel with the others which also caused issues. Another died the day after it arrived in its new home :( i also had another here for a week while waiting for the next leg of the journey that needed to see a vet, I offered repeatedly to take him but his new owner wouldn't let me :?

i can understand how that would put you against them Liz .. how awful ... :(:(

theres something which i find odd, and i hope someone can correct me.

if theres a rescue, has a bun for adoption, someone offers him a home, but a bunny run is needed... surely it is the rescues responsiblity to make sure they have the contact details of everyone helping out?

What if that person never showed up, or got lost, car broke down, and the rescue itself didnt have the details of that person?

I just think it seems a bit unfair to criticise someone who was only trying to help, nobody does a bunny run for their own sake, its to help others. and i personally would expect the rescue to have the details that i needed if it was me thats all.

Like i said, its not a critisism, we all work differently but thats my opinion

That is horrible :cry:

I agree with Bunnymadhouse.

Sarah- To my knowledge, all was sorted and in place.
Then the person turnt up at the expected time.. and said they could not do it.. :?

I had texted details over when asked this afternoon. So everyone knew wat time/number/address.

That is horrible :cry:

I agree with Bunnymadhouse.

Sarah- To my knowledge, all was sorted and in place.
Then the person turnt up at the expected time.. and said they could not do it.. :s

Could it not have been due to the weather :? I can't believe she would deliberately let anyone down, she has a heart of gold :)

I don't know as the fosterer was in a state of panic of her storming out, but she had waited until the time she was meant to leave to say she didn't want to do it.

By which time, Teddy's new mummy had already left to get to Manchester.
It would not have been too bad if everyone knew first thing as then the buns would not have been stuck in the Midlands.

I agree on most points stated, and am waiting to here the other side, as there are always two sides to a story and don't see why this would have happened for no reason.

Back