• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnyruns.

I completely understand that rescues need to rehome outside there area sometimes, but I think it is the new owners that takes the micky out of the bunnyrun system sometimes. They spot a nice bunny miles away and decide they want it and expect others to get it for them :? Like I said in my first post
if you want a bunny from further away you should be expected to collect it yourself and liase with the rescue to make the collection. It is when other people are involved in the middle that it all seems to ge wrong :? But I honestly think people should try and adopt in there own area first :)

:(

I agree with the taking a micky but I agree with bunnymadhouse, I couldnt have driven the full 2 hours to her as I'm not experienced enough, but I did agree to meet her half way, I couldnt have her drive all the way to mine when I could do the last hour myself

When i got Gracie, my knowledge and home provided was verified by Jay and John at Ebony Eyes who are good friends with Jane Dexter (who rehomed Gracie to me).

With Finn, i have sent Cerys photo's of my set up and got a recomendation letter from my vet.

Not sure how others work though.

Thanks for that

Just out of curiosity, are homechecks carried out before a bunnyrun is organised, or is it done via photos/email/telephoning?

I ask because I am looking at our own processes, after I spent nearly 3 hours driving for a homecheck today!

Do you use Rescue Helpers unite? They organise homechecks with volunteers who are close to the new home and can help with transport as well. The volunteers get homechecked before being allowed to homecheck as well to ensure their animals are ok and when carrying out a homecheck you are asked to follow instructions from the specific rescue.

Do you use Rescue Helpers unite? They organise homechecks with volunteers who are close to the new home and can help with transport as well. The volunteers get homechecked before being allowed to homecheck as well to ensure their animals are ok and when carrying out a homecheck you are asked to follow instructions from the specific rescue.

No, never heard of them. We've just used our own volunteers at the rescue.
Do they have a website or contact details?
Thanks

I agree with the taking a micky but I agree with bunnymadhouse, I couldnt have driven the full 2 hours to her as I'm not experienced enough, but I did agree to meet her half way, I couldnt have her drive all the way to mine when I could do the last hour myself

But a new owner meeting up with the rescue they are adopting from is not what I meant by a bunny run as that involves no third person it is a rescue handing over a bunny straight to its owner:) Yes it would be better if a bunny didn't have to travel more than an hour or two, but what I was really talking about was runs where there are 1 or more middle man, rabbits are transfered from one car to another, to another, stay over in peoples houses etc.

Unless it is a matter of life and death I personally feel this is too much for a bunny to go through. At the end of the day they are prey animals and hide their fear and stress so we can never really appreciate how well or badly they are coping with it:? And as I mentioned before there is also the practical implications of who is responsible while the buns are in "limbo"

Hers a thread I posted previously http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=180650&highlight=run+responsibility

I think that any system will have its flaws but, in general, bunnyruns have helped a lot of animals get to their permanent homes. I think each rescue has its own policies about rehoming outside their area, but some rescues have to find homes outside their city.

The runs I have been involved with are to move bunnies from rescues to other rescues. These have not always run as smoothly as I would have liked (with me arriving later than predicted because of traffic) but the end result is that large nos of rabbits were helped.

The rescue should be responsible for co-ordinating the bunnyrun and in ensuring that everyone has the relevant nos etc.

I think anyone who has volunteered to do a bunny run before Xmas, with the weather being awful, is great. Sorry that the one did not work out today.

I try and use only people I know or that a rescue on here knows to help with bunnyruns.
I am not surprised that one has gone wrong as just recently there as been a couple of transport requests that have got totally confusing even just to read so how the eck they have come off is a mystery to me:?
Would it not be better that just one person liases with people offering their help and go with what they decide as some seem to get sorted and then changed right atr the last minute so everyone hasn't got a clue what is going on.

I think it would be a shame to stop bunny runs altogether, i just think a bit more organisation is required.

I also think that using people that you know personally or have had dealings with is fine.

When i got Herbie & Inca i drove half way to meet Kay, but i would have taken help with the drive if it was available at the time.

Just out of curiosity, are homechecks carried out before a bunnyrun is organised, or is it done via photos/email/telephoning?

I ask because I am looking at our own processes, after I spent nearly 3 hours driving for a homecheck today!

This is another reason we don't home out of the area, we want one of our volunteers to do the homecheck, anyone can show photos that might not even be their set up :?

This is another reason we don't home out of the area, we want one of our volunteers to do the homecheck, anyone can show photos that might not even be their set up :?

Agreed. I like the potential adopters to have made the effort to come to the rescue, to meet them and talk with them, for us to do the bonding, and for them to excitedly collect their new babies from us.
At the moment we only use homecheckers with experience of our rescue that are well known to us, and keep the Hopper Haven ideals in mind.

I was thinking of asking for photos pre-visit though, cos if I'd got there today after nearly 1.5hrs driving, and the accommodation hadn't have been upto requirements I'd have been slightly miffed!

i agree :)
sorry I thought a bunny run was any transportation of a bunny :)

But a new owner meeting up with the rescue they are adopting from is not what I meant by a bunny run as that involves no third person it is a rescue handing over a bunny straight to its owner:) Yes it would be better if a bunny didn't have to travel more than an hour or two, but what I was really talking about was runs where there are 1 or more middle man, rabbits are transfered from one car to another, to another, stay over in peoples houses etc.

Unless it is a matter of life and death I personally feel this is too much for a bunny to go through. At the end of the day they are prey animals and hide their fear and stress so we can never really appreciate how well or badly they are coping with it:? And as I mentioned before there is also the practical implications of who is responsible while the buns are in "limbo"

Hers a thread I posted previously http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=180650&highlight=run+responsibility

Agreed. I like the potential adopters to have made the effort to come to the rescue, to meet them and talk with them, for us to do the bonding, and for them to excitedly collect their new babies from us.
At the moment we only use homecheckers with experience of our rescue that are well known to us, and keep the Hopper Haven ideals in mind.

I was thinking of asking for photos pre-visit though, cos if I'd got there today after nearly 1.5hrs driving, and the accommodation hadn't have been upto requirements I'd have been slightly miffed!

We have a pre homecheck check list to make sure that before a home visit is arranged everything is as it should be, because it would be a waste of time for the volunteer otherwise!

I just use my OH tell him to lie down he is 5ft 11.5 so allowing for his shoes too :lol: I just wanted to add I think it's good to use homecheckers outside your local area for the people who are genuine and will come and collect and meet the re-homers etc etc. I was homechecked luckily by Nursecroft and she had to drive about an hour to do that but, it meant she could confirm for Leanne and we were able to adopt Ness who as I said we collected, she has a lovely forever home now and is fully vaccinated now and will be spayed in Jan then in Feb will finally meet her new husbun Gizzy Gizzy Gizmo who has been neutered. This was all possible because of those two ladies (thanks to them) :love:and I adore her and she is well looked after and thoroughly spoilt. x

i personally believe if a bunny run is going ahead, the rescue should have every person who is doing a leg of the journeys numbers, and also the person who they are going too should have everyones numbers too.

from a personal level I'm not very keen on bunny runs as I think that if someone lives within a couple of hours drive of a rescue then it's not too much to ask for them to collect themselves, especially where bonding is involved. If it is more than a few hours then I would question whether it is in the bunnies best interest due to length of time spent in the car when almost certainly there are bunnies in need closer to where the person lives. Mass transport from large neglect cases is a different matter though as it is important to get the bunnies out of a situation and into rescues as soon as possible.

If I was to organise one I personally would want to know the names, address and telephone numbers of everyone that was involved and the time and location of the meet up and also ensure that everyone had my number and the telephone numbers of each person that they were meeting. It might sound like overkill but if only one link in a chain fails you not only risk upsetting the person who is supposed to be adopting the bunny but also people who have gone out of their way to help.

Back