• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnyruns.

I have helped out in transport runs for different animals. And i have received help getting bunnies to me as well from Barnsley. I find it a little insulting that its made out people who get bunnies from far away are only doing it because "they look cute" etc. I understand care should be taken in bunnyruns but as with any situation you can never have 100 percent success. With the amount of rabbits in rescues i think a longer than "normal" journey is well worth it if it means the rabbits ending up in loving homes. My local rescue isnt rehoming rabbits any more so i choose to rehome rabbits from BARC as i know how good they are and i know if they thought for one moment the bunnies being transported to me wouldnt cope they would not even consider it. Also Tracey is a good friend of mine and BARC is one of the charities i like to support.

I just hope some of the comments in this thread do not put people off doing bunnyruns and end up denying rabbits good homes thus freeing up space for more rescue buns. That would be a real shame. :?

At the end of the day as jane has said each case should be taken on its own merits.

I just hope some of the comments in this thread do not put people off doing bunnyruns and end up denying rabbits good homes thus freeing up space for more rescue buns. That would be a real shame. :?

I couldn't agree more.

The tragedy of it all is the volunteer caught up in this is someone who gets involved in loads of bunny runs, had volunteered to do a journey of over 200 miles round trip that day (no doubt at her own expense, which, including motoring expenses as well as petrol, I estimate to be over £50!), the onus was not on her to do the organising just transporting for one section.

She has recently offered to collect my bunnies, take them over 100 miles to her home and bond them, then bring them back - I doubt she would have expected a penny for motoring costs :love:

I don't know the details of what happened but it breaks my heart that such a complex and obviously confusing thread was followed by nobody really knowing what anybody else was doing on the day, then resulted the way it did.

Hopefully as others have said it can lead to lessons learned, and no recriminations as it would be a shame for willing volunteers to not want to volunteer because they feel in danger of feeling they are being berated if it goes wrong. :cry::cry::cry:

I've got to admit that one of the reasons I wouldn't want to volunteer at this time of year is that if several people were poised to put a plan in action and I didn't feel safe travelling in bad weather conditions I would find it extremely hard to say I wasn't willing to do my leg of the journey and 'let everybody down'. Much as it would be great helping to get a bunny to its new home it's not worth risking your life for, I definitely wouldn't have been willing to drive anywhere at the beginning of this week that I didn't absolutely have to.

I would never do a bunnyrun unless it was dropping buns to a rescue. I use to do a lot of them, but people take the mic, I would go out of my way spend my time driving up and down the country to drop peoples pets off to them (while their perfectly good car sits on the drive). The last time I did it I spent and entire Saturday and £40 worth of petrol money dropping off a rabbit to someone miles away, not to even get a thank you or a cup of tea and I had actually picked the rabbit up for them from the rescue the night before.

If someone wants a rabbit they can get it themselves imo

Yeah thats what I think. I think its a good idea to transport rabbits from one rescue to another. And if someone wants to adopt a bun from further away and travel or arrange travel themselves then great. Im not even involved in these but sometimes I do think requests on here take the **** :? Not all of them but I have seen a few and been like :shock: I think its great that people offer to do this just sometimes get the feeling that the people asking just expect it when they could probably make their own arrangements

I spent about 11 hours throwing up on a boat, about five hours driving round in a huge circle and probably well over an hour in total sat on the side of a motorway crying when I came to get my lads. I wasn't exactly comfortable about the journey but didn't really see how it was anyone elses responsibility to be driving my pets around. The rescue offered to bring them closer to me to make it easier but there is no way I would have asked them to :?

Maybe its just me, like I said I think most are ok and reasonable requests but I have seen a few on here where people just like expect it because its more convenient for them

Me too.

I think its a shame that people who have generously given their time to do Bunny Runs are in some cases now being made to feel that its the wrong thing for them to have done. I will always be extremely grateful to the RU member who brought a Rabbit to me. There is no way I could have gotten myself to the Rabbit to collect him. I did pay full costs.

Surely each situation should be 'judged' individually :?

I think thats it :)

Last edited:
Back