• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny lost litter training habits after bonding - in desperate need of advice!!

r_a_c_h_

New Kit
Hi everyone!

I'm in desperate need of some advice. My 3 and a half year old Netherland Dwarf (called Guinness) has recently lost all his litter habits and has started pooing and spraying all over the house but mostly in his room which he shares with his new bun friend - a Himalayan cross. They have fully bonded now (it's been 3 months) and they free range their room together and get let out to the rest of the downstairs when supervised. He lost his habits when Fenty (the new female, a rescue, 5 years old) came on the scene. She is much bigger than Guinness, she pees and poos more, and generally leaves more of a smell which makes me wonder whether Guinness is trying to out-do her by going somewhere that he can still be smelt? I thought it would settle down once they were fully bonded but I believe they have been for about 2 months. They lick each other and cuddle in together. Absolute zero signs of fighting or prying for dominance now. He had great litter habits before her. She picked up where to go straight away and has been fantastic ever since.

I'm in dire need of help - I have a chronic health condition and although I am 100% able to care for both rabbits regularly, the constant hoovering (twice a day now) to keep on top of things is getting too much with no end in sight. To show him where to go i've tried moving his poo into the litter areas, both where Fenty goes and in other trays i've put down beside this to give Guinness more options. I put hay in all these places and nowhere else. The sporadic poo gets set down EVERYWHERE but large litter area in their own room and all over the living room when he gets the chance. I've increasingly caught him peeing in the living room too and on top of chairs which he had stopped doing pre-Fenty.

Any help would be so appreciated. I love my new rabbit and I am so happy to have been able to rescue her from what was an awful life but I never expected it to be this difficult. Between her super levels of peeing and Guinness' change in habits i've taken on about 5 times as much work for myself.

Thanks for reading!

I would be inclined to confine them to the one room for now in the hopes that Guinness will be able to concentrate on just 1 or 2 litter areas. Once he is just using the designated litter tray/s you could then let them out extending their space gradually to see if he goes back to his room to toilet. Once you feel confident that he will go in the correct place then you can let him be free range again. Good luck with this. Do you use white vinegar to get get rid of any smell which might be making him overmark the territory?

Hi! I have been cleaning with white vinegar as I go. I've kept them in the room together the last 2 days since I saw your message. No change yet but it is a lot easier for me to pick up to the stray poos and put them in the trays as I go so hopefully this will help! I'll be spending more time with them in their room so hopefully will have more chance of catching it when it happens and redirecting as much as poss.

Thanks for your advice!

Unfortunately my girls are no longer 100% with poos since they were bonded into a quad and moved into new housing. I've not managed to resolve it at all :( I wish you luck.

Back