• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nonstop peeing after bonding

Kijotenshi

New Kit
Hello
We have two rabbits we bonded back 3-4 months ago. Both are fixed but exact age is unknown as both are from shelter.
One is male around one years old. The other is female around 4 years old.
Before bonding them, our female had perfect litter habits.
When we introduced our male, they had love at first sight. Bonded very easily. We still went through the process of more space slowly. Neutralizing the house. No problems. They never fought and they hangout together, groom each other, nap together etc. ( the male still occasionally tries to hump the female though)
The issue is, one of them ( we believe it’s the female) marks their room floor. We tried neutralizing the smell with vinegar, odor sprays. We tried moving the room around and putting their litter box where she commonly pees instead but she just pees a few inches away from the box. We tried different textures ( carpet, hardwood, tile, plastic etc) and she still pees there. Oddly , They have free range of the house and she doesn’t pee anywhere else.
Does anyone have any advice ? Are they not bonded properly? If so, what can we do?
Thanks !

Last edited:
They sound properly bonded to me ❤️ I dunno why some buns do this. My boy does it regularly but I know he has the capacity to be toilet trained as the week he was here prior to bonding every pee & poop went in his litter tray - the poops were even all in the same place...it went out of the window once bonded. In your shoes I'd probably buy or make some washable pee pads & leave it next to the litter tray where she pees. Not ideal but it might reduce some of your stress & be more practical to manage? Is she happy to go in the tray for poops?

They sound properly bonded to me ❤️ I dunno why some buns do this. My boy does it regularly but I know he has the capacity to be toilet trained as the week he was here prior to bonding every pee & poop went in his litter tray - the poops were even all in the same place...it went out of the window once bonded. In your shoes I'd probably buy or make some washable pee pads & leave it next to the litter tray where she pees. Not ideal but it might reduce some of your stress & be more practical to manage? Is she happy to go in the tray for poops?
Thank you for the response!
She seems happy to do most of her business in the litter box but she does that marking pee and poops scattered through the room( or maybe he does) but there’s plenty of poop and pee in their litter box too.

I think the fact that this happens only in their room and not in the rest of the house, is indicating that it's a territorial thing. I think/hope that it will resolve itself in time, although I can understand that it is frustrating for you. I also am confident from what you have described that they are very happily bonded. Personally, I would just wait and see, although you could protect the area where she normally pees.

Back