• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bum checks - how do you do yours??

I just lie on the floor and let them run around me, neither like being picked up :roll:

They are incredibly clean my two, in 2 years I have had to clean one of their bums only and only once.

I pick them up, 1 hand under their bums and the other behind their front legs/infront of belly, so they are facing away from me and take a look at their bum :lol:

Then i give them a good groom! :love:

depends, if I'm stood up I tuck them into the crook of my arm so they are tipped far enough back to see thier bums and then put them down. If I'm sat down or kneeling I'll put them on my lap and tip them back against my tummy so I can lean over and have a quick look :)

So pleased am not the only one who struggles with this lol. :oops:

Neither of mine like being picked up - I tend to put a firm hand between their shoulder blades and lift their back end up to check them. I check occasionally in winter but not every day. I try to check daily in summer though.

I use the Red Top fly traps (extremely, amazingly effective and they only attract egg laying female flies not beneficial insects) at the bottom of the garden to try and decrease the fly population too. :)

No, no no no no no no no no no :cry: :censored:

Do not EVER put a bunny on its back. This is known as 'trancing' and whilst bunny may not struggle and will appear 'calm' its actually a fear response and causes a rise in a certain stress hormone in the blood and can cause the heart to struggle to keep pumping rhythmically.

Can i ask where you learnt that from, or do you simply believe it is just right?

Okay, here's a question for you. Sometimes Frank gets matts round his back end. His fur is very dense and matts easily. How do you suggest I trim him to keep him tidy and stop the fur pulling on his skin?

Putting a rabbit onto it's back for a brief period of time is sometimes a necessity.

Okay, here's a question for you. Sometimes Frank gets matts round his back end. His fur is very dense and matts easily. How do you suggest I trim him to keep him tidy and stop the fur pulling on his skin?

Putting a rabbit onto it's back for a brief period of time is sometimes a necessity.

There is a difference between putting a rabbit on it's back with head slightly higher and trancing ;)

Alfie I cradle if I want to take a look, or can see it if he's flopped, Akpo is more difficult as she rarely flops in such a way that you can see her bottom easily, so I make the OH pick her up and check which she does not like at all. As mine live indoor I don't check them daily, but will be checking more often in summer when they have free range time.

Mine are all good with their bottys apart from Beatrix who I need to keep an eye on. I check firstly by looking at them from behind and lifting the tail. For full check I pick Beatrix up and cradle her on my lap and arm so she is kind of lying backwards with her head up (not trancing she is fully awake and responding).

This will be my first summer with Barney, so what exactly are we looking for with fly eggs? What colour are they?

I peek at his bum every few days which is fine for checking he's clean (which he always is anyway) but to get a good look I either have to get someone to sit him on their lap or flip him on his back quickly and lean over, risking a good face kicking. Do I need to get a good look or is a glance sufficient? He's white and has thick, but short fur.

Barney doesnt DO trancing and instead goes mental if you tip him backwards, so thats neither a problem nor an option for me :?

Well, as soon as Frank goes onto his back he literally trances, so there isn't that much difference as far as he's concerned.

If its necessary then its necessary.

Would it be possible to bunny burito him with his bum free and have him on someone's lap whilst you cut? Just trying to think of ways you could avoid doing it except on severe occasions.

Back