• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I got Jasper I didn't even know about all this breeding stuff etc and he was my bunny and I wasn't going to leave him to go to anyone :? He had already been created so I wasn't going to let him suffer, simple!

I wasn't meaning you, lots of people don't know about rescues, fair enough.

If you do know about rescues and the plight of so many buns I personally think it is irresponsible to encourage pet shops or breeders by buying, however if you have all the information and still choose that and are happy with your desicion and don't try and justify it with "they are a good breeder" or "I fell in love with him" then that's your choice and right :)

I wasn't meaning you, lots of people don't know about rescues, fair enough.

If you do know about rescues and the plight of so many buns I personally think it is irresponsible to encourage pet shops or breeders by buying, however if you have all the information and still choose that and are happy with your desicion and don't try and justify it with "they are a good breeder" or "I fell in love with him" then that's your choice and right :)

thank you :) I consider myself lucky as I found out who Jasper's breeder was, very rare to find out :shock: He wasn't awful and his pets were well looked after but I think it's irresponsible to breed to supply pet shops tbh :? Oh and he doesn't breed anymore :D

I can't justify breeding I am afraid not when there are so many animals in rescue. That said she does sound responsible so if people are going to do it then I prefer they are like this lady.

I wasn't pointing a finger at anyone, I just didn't want one to start :wave:

Thank you. :)

It is an emotive subject - especially when you've seen first hand the amount of work and effort that goes into keeping these rescues going. These people are hard working 24/7 and sooo dedicated to help all these little creatures who need to find a forever home that the thought of people adding to the domestic rabbit population in this desperate climate really makes me sick to my stomach. I cant help but feel that they are doing it for their own selfish needs and it really isnt necessary.

I can only feel that people who condone breeding of any kind doesnt care about the hundreds of rescues battling to cope with the thousands of unwanted rabbits. :cry:

When you feel that emotional about it - it's easy to see red when people justify it. :oops:

But she's not 'responsible' - there are rescues struggling with numbers. My first port of call would be a rescue.

^^^^This! :wave:
My first and last port of call would also be a rescue!
I would never fall in love with a breeder's bunny, simply because I don't go anywhere near their premises. This is my opinion and my choice.

Personally no, knowing what I know now compared to what I knew this time last year. I'd still search the rescue's. But then again with thirteen rabbits and rabbits being brought to me all the time, there's no need for me to go and buy a rabbit now is there :lol:

This is my opinion. I will always advice people to go to a rescue over a breeder. But in ten years time if EVERYONE stopped breeding. Where would we get rabbits from?

It's never gonna happen. But if it were more strict, and if breeders worked along side rescue's in ten years time we could probably have a controlled population of rabbits.

A lot of people may want to jump on me for thinking this way, especially since I rescue. But I personally am selfish, I want to have pet rabbits when I'm 60. :oops:

Personally no, knowing what I know now compared to what I knew this time last year. I'd still search the rescue's. But then again with thirteen rabbits and rabbits being brought to me all the time, there's no need for me to go and buy a rabbit now is there :lol:

This is my opinion. I will always advice people to go to a rescue over a breeder. But in ten years time if EVERYONE stopped breeding. Where would we get rabbits from?

It's never gonna happen. But if it were more strict, and if breeders worked along side rescue's in ten years time we could probably have a controlled population of rabbits.

A lot of people may want to jump on me for thinking this way, especially since I rescue. But I personally am selfish, I want to have pet rabbits when I'm 60. :oops:

Lets worry about that when we have the situation under control. :wave: I dont mean lets wait until it's too late but i think for now - right now - there should be an outright ban on it.

Lets get this situation under control and then start working toward responsible breeding.

Lets worry about that when we have the situation under control. :wave: I dont mean lets wait until it's too late but i think for now - right now - there should be an outright ban on it.

Lets get this situation under control and then start working toward responsible breeding.

I know, but isn't it risky breeding rabbits over a certain age? I just haven't had this properly explained to me. All I've heard since joining here is everyone wanting breeders to stop! Which is fair enough, considering how many rabbits there are but if say four years time, we only have like three rescue rabbits here, no body is breeding, and the youngest rabbit in the UK was four. What would we do then?

Personally I would be delighted if there were no Pet Rabbits and just the Wildies remain. So no breeding meaning no more Pet Rabbits is totally fine by me.

Personally I would be delighted if there were no Pet Rabbits and just the Wildies remain. So no breeding meaning no more Pet Rabbits is totally fine by me.

It certainly would be the best thing for the rabbit as a species.

I know, but isn't it risky breeding rabbits over a certain age? I just haven't had this properly explained to me. All I've heard since joining here is everyone wanting breeders to stop! Which is fair enough, considering how many rabbits there are but if say four years time, we only have like three rescue rabbits here, no body is breeding, and the youngest rabbit in the UK was four. What would we do then?

I didnt think 4 years old was too old for a rabbit to breed?? :shock:

But if she only breeds once a year at what age does she stop breeding from them? I guess that you cant breed from a doe after a certain age? How many rabbits does she own?

Also the doe will be kept on her own and the male likewise.

Surely the risk of uterine cancer outweighs the aww factor on a few baby rabbits:? Plus the male will be so frustrated:?

This topic has already been covered recently, I don't think there is any point to rehashing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back