• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit bonding help sudden change in behavior

Just give them more time. There's no point in rushing things at the beginning of a bond that will last a lifetime. They have to sort things out between themselves in their own way. There is bound to be a bit of getting used to each other and trying to work out who's boss, etc. If they both remain OK and there are no full on fights, things should work out eventually.

I had one bond that took about an afternoon - the time it took to collect one and drive them both home in the same crate. Mostly it takes a few weeks, but these days I tend to take it very slowly - so tending towards months rather than weeks.

Just give them more time. There's no point in rushing things at the beginning of a bond that will last a lifetime. They have to sort things out between themselves in their own way. There is bound to be a bit of getting used to each other and trying to work out who's boss, etc. If they both remain OK and there are no full on fights, things should work out eventually.

I had one bond that took about an afternoon - the time it took to collect one and drive them both home in the same crate. Mostly it takes a few weeks, but these days I tend to take it very slowly - so tending towards months rather than weeks.

Thank you, I love my sweet girl and the new bunny now has a permanent place in my heart so I badly want them to work things out. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't near the end of my ropes lol as it's been almost 2 months but I'm determined to out stubborn their rabbit stubborness. I appreciate all the replies and help this forum has been giving me.

Update. Things have been going really well since starting 24/7 bonding. Hopefully I'm not jinxing it by typing this lol. They are spending more and more time together and I went ahead and increased the size of their pen today after near 2 weeks of 24/7 bonding. I'm taking things painfully slow this time but have hopes that early July I'll consider them bonded and be able to move them into my room and out of their bonding pen.

Another quick question. I thought they were past this part. The past few weeks I haven't had this issue anymore but it happened again just now. When I removed the litter box to clean it, my female rabbit started humping then chasing the male. They didn't seem aggressive really but the chase just kept going probably a good 20 seconds until I decided to stop it. I have noticed that when the female rabbit chased the male in the past he always ran to the litter box and she would stop. Is there some kind of territory issue going on that I need to resolve regarding the litter box? Is the male claiming it as his own and when removed the female sees her chance to take dominance?

Another quick question. I thought they were past this part. The past few weeks I haven't had this issue anymore but it happened again just now. When I removed the litter box to clean it, my female rabbit started humping then chasing the male. They didn't seem aggressive really but the chase just kept going probably a good 20 seconds until I decided to stop it. I have noticed that when the female rabbit chased the male in the past he always ran to the litter box and she would stop. Is there some kind of territory issue going on that I need to resolve regarding the litter box? Is the male claiming it as his own and when removed the female sees her chance to take dominance?

Just buy a second litter box, so as you remove the soiled one you can immediately put the second clean one in.

The chasing is probably dominance driven and the removal of the Bucks ‘escape spot’ allows the Doe to persist with chasing.

I would just do what Jane has suggested and replace the soiled litter tray each time with a clean one. I wouldn't try to provoke the behaviour and would just treat it as a normal event each time.

Bunnies can be really strange in what upsets them. I think it is territory induced behaviour, but I think over time it will cease as they will both become more trusting of each other.

I would just do what Jane has suggested and replace the soiled litter tray each time with a clean one. I wouldn't try to provoke the behaviour and would just treat it as a normal event each time.

Bunnies can be really strange in what upsets them. I think it is territory induced behaviour, but I think over time it will cease as they will both become more trusting of each other.

:thumb:

So after weeks of 24/7 bonding I put the cat tunnel back in and within 20 minutes the female rabbit started humping and chasing the male. My plan is to just leave the cat tunnel in during supervised times and hope they work things out. Is that the correct path to take here? My fear is that when I move them to my room, where the female lived for a year and a half before I started this bonding, that she will do the same thing as it's familiar. So my hope is letting them figure things out here will help with that as my goal is to move them to my room in two weeks. The litter box still seems to be a safe place for the male to hide in also.

Edit: She calmed down pretty quick and doesn't seem to be chasing him much now though I imagine she still will. Still huge progress from last time I put the tunnel in there and I posted too early before seeing how things would go so I apologize for that.

Last edited:
Every time you move them to a different area there might be some chasing but this soon settles down. Will they be free-range in your room?

Yeah, not at first but eventually. I plan to start them off with a small portion of the room then buildup to the whole room and once I feel comfortable I'll let them free roam permanently.

I'm glad they have settled down a lot now. It's normal for there to be a small amount of chasing each time their environment changes, but as long as it subsides quickly and there's no aggression, then it's all fine :) Well done for persevering :thumb:

Back