• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeders vs. Bad owners

:lol: I suppose thats one way to learn maths: 1 mouse = another mouse = hundreds of mice!

Tam

I put my hand up and say I had my first bunny when I was about seven and I've got to say she didn't get cared for as much as she should have, I did keep my bunny, until she lived to a good age and passed on, but I had to have constent nagging from my mom to clean out hutch etc. If my Mother wasn't so inclined to crack the whip Misty would of probably been another bunny in rescue.

i my opinion children should not have pets! children should be allowed to be children and should not have the reponsiblity of a pet around there neck, even if they think they can do it, parents should know the child is gonna get bored, have better things to do, so it is down to the parent, STOP BlAMING KIDS FOR BEING KIDS!!!! the kid got bored statement is down to the PARENTS!

my kids are around animals and to be honest i think it has done my girl (3yrs) the world of good, but my boy (8YRS) has better things to do that have an interest in pets, but these are MY pets so no harm done!

eve x

I agree; Kayj had an interesting post a couple of months back, when one of the mothers at her kid scholl, asked for a bunny for her sons birthday and then said it will probably be back with you in a couple of months. How are we suppose to do anything if grown adults acts so irresponsible. :(

Tree said:
I agree; Kayj had an interesting post a couple of months back, when one of the mothers at her kid scholl, asked for a bunny for her sons birthday and then said it will probably be back with you in a couple of months. How are we suppose to do anything if grown adults acts so irresponsible. :(

thats my point tree. i am sick to death of people blaming the children, i am sick to death of seeing people writing things like "horrible kid"!! :evil: it not the children it the parents :evil: , but unfortunately not all adults are responsible and they lies the problem!!!!

Tree said:

thats my point tree. i am sick to death of people blaming the children, i am sick to death of seeing people writing things like "horrible kid"!! :evil: it not the children it the parents :evil: , but unfortunately not all adults are responsible and they lies the problem!!!!

I don't blame the kids :) It's the parents fault, they are the responsible adult the children are children.

Tam

To me one of the biggest problems is that baby rabbits sitting in a pet shop are very cute. Undeniably so. It is very very easy for people to make an impulse buy without any thinking it through. Every time I go to my pet shop/garden centre for supplies I want to take every cute sad little bunny there straight home with me. I don't but the impulse is there. It's WAY too easy to get a rabbit on a whim with no thought of the consequences.

The other huge problem is of course education, it is practically impossible - even if you want to and are trying hard - to get the right information about how rabbits should be kept and what sort of animals they are. Someone needs to write a few good books and get them into petshops and bookshops to replace the generally rubbishy ones that are sold as 'facts' about how to keep rabbits.

The worst of all though is stupid and irresponsible people letting their rabbits have unlimited litters because they don't see any problem with it. This isn't about breeding in the way that responsible breeders concentrating on one or two breeds are doing it, it's about the ones who will stick any two rabbits together and enjoy the babies before selling them to pet shops, snake food, releasing into the wild whatever and to me it's the way I see it happen most. It makes me fume!!!!

As Tamsin pointed out, rescues are a symptom not the solution to the problem. I have eight rabbits at the moment. With the exception of two of them they were all rescued, but directly, rather than through a rescue. I'm sure I'm not alone in being part of another statistic, people who rescue without being a rescue (though one day I'll probably end up as one)

Getting back to education, I also think that if more people knew what their rabbit was capable of they wouldn't get so easily bored with it. Most people have absolutely no idea of how interesting, lovable and funny that rabbit stuck in a hutch at the end of the garden could be if given any chance at all :( .

KateRowan said:
The other huge problem is of course education, it is practically impossible - even if you want to and are trying hard - to get the right information about how rabbits should be kept and what sort of animals they are. Someone needs to write a few good books and get them into petshops and bookshops to replace the generally rubbishy ones that are sold as 'facts' about how to keep rabbits.

Thats a very good point. Alot of people that do take time to ask questions get the wrong answers. There are a few good books out there but if you don't already know the correct answers how to you tell the difference.

Tam

well i for one would not get my kids a pet just because they whined for one they have been brought up to respect the animals but at9 5 4 2 i would not expect them to be able to take care of eney animal i feed clean and pay for the vet bills of all of them

I never wanted a rabbit as a kid (nasty experience with my cousin's). I was desperate for a hamster. But no matter how hard I begged my parents said no. Eventually they said I had to research first. So my brother and I were dropped at the library and we would get out books on hamsters and gerbils (his choice) and write notes. The books however were pretty rubbish!

After we had deemed to have done sufficient research I heard no more on the matter and figured my mum was immovable.

Then the year I put a stereo top of my birthday list and not a hamster. I got bought two Russian hamsters and a Rotastak cage (mum's work mate had the parents - sexed by P@H :roll: ). I was 12 or 13 then. My brother got his gerbils the next year as he was younger than me.

They were brilliant pets and everytime my interest appeared to be waning my mum bought them a new toy or my dad built them an assult course. Woe betide me if I was lax in cleaning them out. Every weekend I had to clean them out before I was allowed out and my mum was constantly checking they had food and water (but she never needed to).

My brother was a bit less keen on his gerbils they were right little terrors and kept him awake :lol: so he had to move them out of his bedroom and my mum was just as hard on him to keep them clean and happy.

If I had wanted a rabbit there would be have been no way I would have been allowed one. As horrible as this sounds the deciding factor on the hamsters for my mum was their short life-span. My mum figured that by the end of two or three years when the poor things passed on I wouldn't have grown out of them or got so fed up of cleaning them out that I resented them. Also my mum thought about what would happen when I started going to parties as I got older and had less time to look after an animal or went to uni. If I had got a rabbit at 12 it would be conceivable that my mum would be left to look after it when I was at uni.

Rabbit's make awful children's pets for many reasons and I am not saying the kids should all be bought hamsters but I am saying if you want to teach a child responsability you have to set the example yourself. If I hadn't watched my mum and dad struggle to ensure our cats got wormed or clean out Rocky's abcess from yet another fight I would probably have been lazy about cleaning out my hamsters.

Caz

This is a very interesting topic and I have to agree with jenny and a few others on this one.

Personally I would love it if pet shops could no longer sell animals and breeders had to be registered and follow strict guidelines AND no one who was not able to provide themselves with their OWN finacial income could breed, ie no kids/teenagers could breed. I am NOT picking on anyone, but far too many teenagers get caught up in breeding and I am saying this as a 15 year old myself! Of course I suppose some parents would lie, so I can see this not working, tis just a dream. :cry:

If the animals can't be sold through pet shops and people are educated, there would be no market for mills and farms and to make sure, there should be a law which states it is illegal to buy an animal from an unregistered breeder, if you decide to pass on shelters of course. :wink:

hi

It's a shame bunnies are so cute really - they really are irresistible to anyone who loves 'cute' - they tick all the boxes looks wise (but not necessarily behaviour wise!) The fact that all the books on care are painting a rosy picture of how easy it is, together with umpteen photos of cuteness doesn't help...But a major source of rabbits is the newspaper small ads too - mine is full of them, which gives readers the idea that 'hey we can sell baby rabbits for £20 each!' Even kittens go for £15-£20 each - that's a lot of money to someone on benefits or low income, and no incentive to neuter your cats or stop breeding your rabbits.

I think weak parents cause a lot of problem children's problem behaviour too (speaking as a mother of a boy who's been shunted around due to behavioural difficulties) - A lot of parents just can't be bothered to be firm and say 'no' (that would be my ex-husband) and they will buy their kids a pet (or whatever) just to keep them happy and stop them nagging - and let it have babies because 'they're so cute and we can sell them' - no thought given to an animal living a long time - that's not even in their mind as they are living for today - children can drive you crazy when they start nagging - so it's easier to just get them what they want and deal with tomorrow another time - You can't do anything about people like this as they are immune to education :?

The only way to stop bunnies being bought on impulse is to ban their sale in shops/garden centres and also in the small ads of newspapers - That way people would have to go out of their way to get a pet rabbit, and Jo Bloggs wouldn't think he could make a few quid out of letting the kid's rabbits have babies.

i didnt had a rabbit till i was 11 and have to say it was birthday present, but i stared off with fish at about 3 which me and my bro shared he is 4 yrs older than me, althouth i fed them i was too small to clean them out but did try to help, then when i was about 4 or 5 i got a hamster which yet again i shared with the my bro so only half the responsibility but still we had our parents back helping us incase one day we couldnt manage when i was about 8 i finally got gizmo our shared hamster all to myself as my bro got a new one and gizmo had a new cage (to make it fair) cause it was at christmas time this was when i took on all responcibilty except vets ect gizmo lived to the grand age of 3 to 3 1/2 and i had my rabbits by this time too. these we brought from a pet shop but mom didnt think i would look after them by myself so was prepared to take on the rabbits if this happend it took me a while to actually get into the routen of cleaning and feeding so mom and dad were a big help at the start even thought i loved them to bits but after a while i got used to all the work need so i can say my mom was so wrong with me lossing interest and not looking after them ,cause look were i am now :lol: .
just to add im a teenage breeder and so is rachle i dont think we should be deprived of beening able to have pets cause as far back i can remeber iv been a huge animal lover and think im far more responisble then some adults and i cant also say that for many other brc junior members althought there rnt as many now, with all other distractions.
becky

hi

Well duh - my brain's finally made the missing link between child's pet, pocket money, happy parents and small ads selling bunnies for £25 each - That may be a lot of money for people on a low income/benefits - but it's a fortune for teenagers who don't fancy doing a paperound isn't it?

Parents are happy because child has their own money and doesn't nag for latest CD and clothes - plus they convince themselves that child is learning to be responsible by earning money...

Child is happy because (as any parent knows) all children live for today and are materialistic - baby bunnies = extra pocket money and some kudos as an 'earner'

People wanting a rabbit to shut their children up for a few weeks are happy because the small ads are stuffed with them - or there's P@H...

And rabbits are....blissfully ignorant of the misery and suffering in this world unless it's their own - unlike the 'responsible' people out there who perpetuate the problem of surplus pets with full knowledge of what life may throw at them - and lets face it people only really want a BABY bunny, don't they?

So - if it was illegal to buy a pet from an unregistered breeder, and you had to be over 16 to be registered, I reckon that would halve the population of breeders supplying the market whilst seeking pocket money and cute baby bunnies to go 'ahhh' over with their schoolfriends.

And ban advertising animals for sale in small ads as well as pet shops - I reckon it's too too easy for anyone, including kids, to put an ad in the small ads/free ads - £100 a litter is a fortune to most kids, especially if mum pays for the pet's food etc.

How would you police it though. The exchange of a bunny between neighbours or school mates is going to be near to impossible to track. Unless every bun is neutered there will be lots of accidental litters.

I'm not sure that breeding bunnies is really a good way to make money. Lots of people try it but then find there isn't enough people to pay £20 for a rabbit and a petshop will only give you £5 and that's if they take it at all. Lots of rescues end up taking litters from people who thought they'd be able to find homes but couldn't.

Tam

hi

Yes that's my point exactly - to look at the small ads you would think 'wow I can breed my rabbit and get £20 a baby!' - there are dozens in my paper every week - anyone who read that page would think ££ signs not 'what if I can't sell them?' - there are a lot of people out there who don't engage brain before taking action :wink:

By boyfriend know a bloke who has two rabbits, about 6 weeks ago he came to me and said if my mate wanted to breed rabbits how would he do it. well as you can imagine i jumped right in and said (using other words) he shouldn't do it! My boyf said yeh but if he wanted to how would he! well i wouldn't give him any info as the bloke in question didn't even know the sex of his rabbits. The local petshop had told him (when he bought them) that if he breed from them they would give him £10 for each baby!!! :shock: I was really shocked! any way Ali went back to this bloke and told him the things i had told him and he fortunatly didn't breed from his rabbits! i had offered to sex them for him and recommed a good vet for spaying/neutering but he had decided to find out for him self! to my knowledge this bloke hasn't found out anything but i think fortunatly both buns turned out to be girls!

It can be utterly infuriating! When people esp adults are so irresponsable! they are the ones who are supposed to know better, they are the ones who are supposed to teach there children right from wrong!

just to add im a teenage breeder and so is rachle i dont think we should be deprived of beening able to have pets cause as far back i can remeber iv been a huge animal lover and think im far more responisble then some adults and i cant also say that for many other brc junior members althought there rnt as many now, with all other distractions.
becky

I never said that you shouldn't be allowed to have pets, but instead people should wait till they have their own income before they breed, okay the parents may pay for vet bills should anything happen etc but it is THEIR rabbitry. I know that if I was to set up a rabbitry (which I can assure you, there is NO chance of) then i would have all these bunsters and my parents would have to pay for most of it, not to mention, in 3-4 years time I will hopefully be at uni and whilst I can look after 2 bunnies as i will probably still live at home, but i wouldn't fancy the chances of a whole rabbitry. Also yes becky you are a responsible breeder and so may a few other junior breeders, but not all of juniour breeders are which is why it should be age restricted!

As for unplanned/accidental litters, that is a true point Tamsin, I don't know what to do about that, the whole world is a mess! :cry: At this rate there will always be an over population of rabbits! :cry:

Back