• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding of Sunny & Paws ( Two neutered Males)-Easiest bonding ever session ever!pics.

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Bonding of Sunny & Paws ( Two neutered Males)-Easiest bonding ever session ever!pics.

I've recently had sunny and paws neutered and am bonding them today.

How long should i stay with them and keep an eye on them for? I kept my girls in 3 days and nights before i considered them bonded. At what stage am i okay to leave tehm on there own.

There was alot of humping going on to start with. sunny is marking the place as territory. I am not sure who the dominant one is, i think it is sunny. Sunny has no teeth, so i figured it's a good bond to try as paws is very amicable with other buns and love everything he comes near.

They are now snuggled up in the litter tray together. Ears up. Sunny flopped out at one point on the cage floor. I'm using a 3 foot cage. Hope this is small enough for bonding in. This is what i used last time for 3 girls and that went fine.

Sunny is definately the dominant one- but i'm a little sad to see paws dominated. Now sunny is stood over paws, whilst he is laid down in the litter tray- both ears up. Paws looks abit squashed bless him. Both are panting.

Will post some pics shortly :) xxxxxxxxx

Sunny and Paws- Bonding session number one. Seems to be going okay!
jUgcpl.jpg

Sunny flopped out- guess that means he is relaxed or exahausted from trying to be dominant.
nStenl.jpg

Sunny is definately trying to dominate paws!
X6SShl.jpg

Paws isn't really coming out of that tray yet.
asC1vl.jpg

They seem happy enough :)
nIk59l.jpg

Snuggling up
revYWl.jpg

Paws grooming himself, but not sunny yet.
LV7XIl.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts on my last 30 minutes progress with them. Admittedly they are doing all the work :)

Thanks xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I don't think anyone can really tell you when you are safe to leave them unsupervised. I tend to go by gut instinct, each bond it different, but you get a feel for when things seem settled.

If they are snuggling already that sounds good tho. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

I don't think anyone can really tell you when you are safe to leave them unsupervised. I tend to go by gut instinct, each bond it different, but you get a feel for when things seem settled.

If they are snuggling already that sounds good tho. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Thanks Amy, i stayed up with my girls for 12 hours and watched them, then left them overnight, but i kept them inside so i could hear any scuffling. The boys seem settled now. Was thinking two males would be a hard bond, but they seem happy together. I would like male/female mixes, but i have already bonded my girls in groups and i wouldn't have the heart to split them up. I think i may try bonding these two to my other group eventually, or add another male.

Does anyone know of any all male trios that are successful? I have ares who i think would also be good with this pair+. He is all aone at the moment and i want him bonded, but i'm not sure who best to put him with.

They are neutered but they absolutely stink and i've only had them in the house a short while. Is this just because i'm bonding them or is it just males in general?

Thanks xxxxxxxxx

p.s sunny is making little grunting noises at paws like adonia does when she wants my attention. Very sweet. Still abit worried about paws being abit dominanted. Paws is just remaining very quiet and submissive.

Last edited:
I was surprised aswell, My two boys weren't any harder to bond than my male female pairs. I'd had them living alongside until they could both have their ops and recover so whether that made a difference I don't know. Also I think Apollo may of lived with other males previously and was clearly a submissive bun as had evidence of bullying when he came to me so he was more than happy for Comet to be boss. Comet tries to squish Apollo like your buns have done in the pic but it doesn't quite work as he's only a tiny nethie! :lol: They are actually the most loved up of all my groups so I don't think it matters you didn't opt for male/female pairs. Not sure about adding a third but I'd guess the same rule applies that it would depend more on the rabbits personality than anything else.

I was surprised aswell, My two boys weren't any harder to bond than my male female pairs. I'd had them living alongside until they could both have their ops and recover so whether that made a difference I don't know. Also I think Apollo may of lived with other males previously and was clearly a submissive bun as had evidence of bullying when he came to me so he was more than happy for Comet to be boss. Comet tries to squish Apollo like your buns have done in the pic but it doesn't quite work as he's only a tiny nethie! :lol: They are actually the most loved up of all my groups so I don't think it matters you didn't opt for male/female pairs. Not sure about adding a third but I'd guess the same rule applies that it would depend more on the rabbits personality than anything else.

Aww bless- squished nethie. That's really cool that males get on so well. I too have had them out in runs opposite each other, but atleast four foot apart. I guess that is still close though. All my buns can see each other, so hopefully that should make everything abit easier.

Also they sometimes get out and go about hopping around the garden and meeting up with the others. So perhaps they have said a hello before. I know my males don't seem settled on there own, i can already see sunny marking paws as his territory. He just rubbed his chin on paws face like he does the hutch.Not sure what paws thinks about it alll, but i hope he will be happier.

How many grouping do you have at the moment- i know you have alot of buns :) what mixes? xxxxxxx

If one of yours is dominating the litter tray I would remove it and allow them to bond without somthing that one is taking over.

With any same opposite pairs of rabbits I would definatly stay with them for at least 48 hours, with same sex at least 72 hours. Often when they have got comfortable with themselves they will alter who is dominant and things often kick off again.

I have two male/female pairs, a male/male pair and a male/female/female trio. When we have our own place I'm thinking of bonding them into bigger groups but at the moment its easier this way as the large set ups required for bigger groups would be a nightmare to move whilst we are renting.

If one of yours is dominating the litter tray I would remove it and allow them to bond without somthing that one is taking over.

With any same opposite pairs of rabbits I would definatly stay with them for at least 48 hours, with same sex at least 72 hours. Often when they have got comfortable with themselves they will alter who is dominant and things often kick off again.

Thanks i put two trays in now and hay on the floor also. Not sure if that will make a difference- one big litter tray :)

Thanks for the information on timing. I'll stay with them now for 72 hours. I've got to take my other bunny in for ga tommorow so i'm going to be up with him alnight as he is going to be neutered etc and has an infection, so good timing on that front.

Have definatley seen them alter dominance a couple of times, but paws is alot less bothered about being dominant , he is happy to potter. They are also quite happy to snuggle in the litter tray together too :) xxxx

I have two male/female pairs, a male/male pair and a male/female/female trio. When we have our own place I'm thinking of bonding them into bigger groups but at the moment its easier this way as the large set ups required for bigger groups would be a nightmare to move whilst we are renting.

Sounds fab. No solo buns then! That is nice. I have 4 solo buns. I only have one that i can bond though which is ares, so may put him in with some of the girls as he is in good health. The others are poorly. I know what you mean about renting, that's why i've asked my other half to get us an equestrian yard in six months once our next let is up. Lots more bunny space xxxx

No solo buns then! That is nice. I have 4 solo buns.

I started off with one bun originally but as soon as he was neutered I got him a friend. They've arrived in dribs and drabs ever since but I've only ever kept them as solo buns as an interim measure whilst they were waiting to be spayed/neutered. I work 8 till 5 so I don't think its fair for them to be on their own.

My boarding place are very perplexed as to how I seem to just keep adding buns but I think by bonding them myself I've learnt which buns are dominant and submissive so when I get a newbie I can gage better as to which group they'd fit in well with.

I have a bonded brothers and they are going to be neutered next week. I also have a young male, I will neuter him when he *coughs* has grown some :lol: - Then I will attempt to bond the 3..... They have meet through bars and so far all is well....

I have a bonded brothers and they are going to be neutered next week. I also have a young male, I will neuter him when he *coughs* has grown some :lol: - Then I will attempt to bond the 3..... They have meet through bars and so far all is well....

Aww hope it all goes well. My two are sat in the litter tray now snuggling up. Will be fabulous if i can get a third bonded to these too. Hope you have success with them all!! xxxxxxxx

Back