• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding

Rachel14

New Kit
I have 6 rabbits in 3 pairs. Two sisters together, two brothers together and mum and son together.
I’ve just done my second bonding session in a neutral area with them all.
It’s all going well with no fighting at all. However one of the boys mounts every other rabbit and grunts. He is also the only one who pees and poos in the area too. Obviously he thinks he is the most dominant rabbit. The other rabbits do not seem to mind but was wondering if he will always do this to them or will eventually stop as must be annoying for all of the others!

Hello, this thread will get more responses if it's in a different part of the forum. I'll request that it's moved for you :)

I have 6 rabbits in 3 pairs. Two sisters together, two brothers together and mum and son together.
I’ve just done my second bonding session in a neutral area with them all.
It’s all going well with no fighting at all. However one of the boys mounts every other rabbit and grunts. He is also the only one who pees and poos in the area too. Obviously he thinks he is the most dominant rabbit. The other rabbits do not seem to mind but was wondering if he will always do this to them or will eventually stop as must be annoying for all of the others!

I am assuming all Rabbits are neutered and this was done at least 6-8 weeks ago ?

When I bond Rabbits I usually try to keep them together all the time rather than in short sessions. It might be that the dynamics within the group need time to be established. So every time you separate them the reintroduction is like starting from scratch again. So the humpy Buck will keep feeling the need to assert his dominance. If you leave them together this behaviour could have a chance to subside. Obviously 24/7 bonding requires 24/7 supervision and I realise this could be impossible for some people.

I agree with the above advice and I also would keep them together and not keep splitting them up.

Well done though, you're doing very well to have such a positive result with a group of 6 :)

I'm glad its going so well & hope it continues. The dominant bucks humping & territorial pooping should (in theory) stop when they are all confident about the hierarchy . As you'll probably have experienced Spring fever hits many bunnies this time of year so maybe the mounting won't dissipate as quickly as you'd expect though

Help with bonding.

Hi I thought I had successfully bonded my six rabbits. They all moved into their new enclosure Saturday. Noticed occasional mounting but all were sitting together to eat and acting normally. I went to feed this morning and two of the boys were fighting resulting in a small cut to one of the boys ears. What could have happened? They’ve all been absolutely fine with each other. I’ve moved one of the boys out into another hutch and run but now he is on his own. What should I do next please?

Back