• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding an older couple

cazaline

New Kit
I have finally found a male neutered rabbit for my cinnamon. She is 7 I believe (rescue)
He is 6.
I have been following all the bonding advice from RWA and we are definitely making progress. He has been with us for about 4 weeks.
Their homes are next to each other and they now have daily dates and swap homes when they go home.
They lay together when there is a barrier between them.
They are now happy to lay close without a barrier, on their dates though not touching.
They eat in each others company though not sharing food.
I believe these are all good signs.
However they both seem to want to be boss.
They keep sniffing each other then both put their heads down to be licked and accept the crown of power, but neither of them gives in and does the grooming. After a while they both get cross with each other and one will try to nip the other and then they both go off in a huff.
They are not chasing or humping.
Is this normal?
Do I just continue as we are going?

There is bound to be some chasing and fur pulling when they are first allowed together - they have to establish the heirarchy. It shouldn't be a problem as long as they are not actually fighting. They will settle down. Once they are together, I would leave them together permanently - but keep an eye on them for the first couple of days.

I hope it all goes well and they live happily together.

There is bound to be some chasing and fur pulling when they are first allowed together - they have to establish the heirarchy. It shouldn't be a problem as long as they are not actually fighting. They will settle down. Once they are together, I would leave them together permanently - but keep an eye on them for the first couple of days.

I hope it all goes well and they live happily together.

I agree with this! Good luck.
Yes, I agree with this. Good luck! Oops!

Back