• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 4 rabbits! U/D - Trio had play time with Blossom

:wave: I decided to make a little blog about bonding my 4 rabbits. :)

When I couldn't bond Jasper and Blossom. :cry: It was suggested on here that I try go for a foursome, with Jasper, Blossom, Tinkerbell and Mischief. (Tink and Mischief are bonded brother and sister and Jasper and Blossom are by themselves, although Jasper adores Tink!) So today I went for the hard step with bonding the boys - Mischief and Jasper. Mischief is so protective over his sister which is why I had to get Blossom because I thought a 3 wouldn't work, well Blossom and Jasper don't get on! :roll: After they have bonded, I will bond the girls then put them all together! :shock:

So anyway, I took the boys to the bathroom in separate carriers across from each other and they stared each other out. :lol: I then got them both out and put them into the obviously empty bath with the bottom of one of the carriers full of hay and carrot peelings and I sat in there with them too. :lol:
A few times Mischief wanted to nip Jasper but I didn't let him, I just pulled him away gently. Then... Jasper stuck his head under Mischief's chin and they sat like that for 5 mins! :love:

I then took them downstairs into the living room and my Mum helped me with this bit. ;) We sat them next to each other stroking their heads to distract them from fighting... then we thought Jasper was going to bite Mischief :shock: but... he started washing him! His back and his ears. :love: Jasper loves Mischief but I still need to get Mischief used to Jasper cos a few times Mischief went for him, not big fights just a few nips. ;)

Then we moved back and they sat about 40cm apart both copying each other having a wash! :D I am amazed that Mischief didn't try to attack Jasper because he always tries too and there they are near by. :) So in my opinion, I think it went very well! :D:D:D

Last edited:
Congrats, I really hope you get a foursome. In my opinion rabbits enjoy life more in groups. :love: Will keep my eye out, and hope for the best :D

:wave: glad its gone well today..Im by no means an expert but wouldnt it be easier to do the bond all in one go because the dynamics will change each time and might be less stressful on all the buns?

Good luck/

I might have read your post wrong, but can I ask why you haven't put all four rabbits in together if you aer aiming to bond them.

From my own expereince it is better to bond all together in one go rather than to bond part of the group and then keep adding others as this means that they will take much longer to sort out their hierachy. Each additional rabbit will change the heirachy which can affect their relationship with the other rabbit who was last added,.

Sounds good so far :thumb:

When Malc and Col can see each other, Malc tries to nip Col :(

Good luck, will keep all things crossed for you and bunnies xxx

Goodd luck with the bond, but I would put all 4 together as by seperating Tink and Mischeif to bond to others there bond may well break down

:wave: Well just went to check on the bunnies and opened up Mischief and Tink's hutch to feed them, instead of Mischief jumping out to attack Jasper who has free run of the shed, he went up to him, sniffed him and hopped off. :D No aggression what so ever. :) So yes I think I will go for the big step tomorrow and have the 3 of them plus Blossom but it's so worrying about how they will react.

Good luck/

I might have read your post wrong, but can I ask why you haven't put all four rabbits in together if you aer aiming to bond them.

From my own expereince it is better to bond all together in one go rather than to bond part of the group and then keep adding others as this means that they will take much longer to sort out their hierachy. Each additional rabbit will change the heirachy which can affect their relationship with the other rabbit who was last added,.

:wave: I did it so that the Mischief wouldn't try to rip Jasper's head off when he saw him. :oops: If them two get on, I thought it will be easier when I add the girls. ;)

I hope it works for you but I do think that it would be better to do it all in one go - it wouldn't be quite so stressful for the bunnies because they would sort out the heirachy once not every time you add a bun.

Behaviour will change all the time so trying a pair does nothing really in the way of indicators how a larger group dynamic will work.

Often a pair that get along will show referred agression when with another/in sight of another etc so if two get on, please be aware that when you change the group by adding more, they may not.

All the best for this

I hope it works for you but I do think that it would be better to do it all in one go - it wouldn't be quite so stressful for the bunnies because they would sort out the heirachy once not every time you add a bun.

Behaviour will change all the time so trying a pair does nothing really in the way of indicators how a larger group dynamic will work.

Often a pair that get along will show referred agression when with another/in sight of another etc so if two get on, please be aware that when you change the group by adding more, they may not.

All the best for this

Alright, thank you. :) I will try it either tomorrow or Tuesday. :thumb:

Cheryl had my group for a week so could take a good few days! As janice says try not to seperate once youve started! I really hope it works for you, would be a shame to rehome Blossom :(

I too would put them altogether, I wouldn't move them either once you have started the bonding, find a neutral area, set it up and leave them in that area for a good few days inorder for the bond to develop...good luck :D

Good luck with it - keep us posted. You've worked really hard for your bunnies so hope it pays off. :wave:

Good luck!! Bonding a foursome is hard work, be prepared for many sleepless nights and stress!! But in the end its worth it, its so lovely to see them all together:love:

I can't believe it... I have a trio!!!! :D

Mischief, Tinkerbell and Jasper, that's 2 boys and a girl! :shock: :lol: You might think there was no point in me getting Blossom cos my origional 3 have bonded, but I don't regret getting that little bun at all. :love: If I didn't get her, she would live her whole life stuck in a hutch too small for her to stand up in! :cry:

This is how it worked...

yesterday I took all 4 rabbits into the bathroom and just let them out of their carriers, Mischief went to nip Jasper a few times but then just ignored him. :) Blossom- the little terror :roll: went straight up to Tink and bit her on the nose :? So she went straight back in the carrier and the other 3 were just smelling her through there, I didn't take her away. ;) She came out again at one point and bit Mischief as well!

At one point, Mischief started washing his sister, then she started washing Jasper, it was sooooo cute! :love: Then at one point to my complete surprise... Mischief started licking Jasper :D

Then the humping started... :roll: Jasper wouldn't leave Mischief alone! :shock: So... I have a gay bunny :lol: Mischief ran around in circles trying to get Jasper off his back but eventually they just stopped. They then went in the shed- not together but they could all see each other and sniff each other. :)

Now... Tink, Mischief and Jasper are in the big run together! Not snuggled up or anything, just ignoring each other but that's better than aggressive fights isn't it?! :D Every now and then, Jasper tries to climb on Mischief's back but I think Mischief has now learnt that Jasper isn't a threat, just an annoying little brother! :p Oh and yes they are both neutered and the girls are spayed. Jasper has even been spraying. :shock: You'd think he hasn't been for the snip!

I'm going to keep trying with Blossom, she's now in a run next to the other 3. If she keeps biting them then I'm either going to have to re-home her :cry: keep her as a solo bun (may be allowed cos I won't have 2 solo rabbits any more) or try and find her a friend from a rescue that she actually likes but I don't think I'll be able to get more rabbits. :(

But for now everything is going great and I have a trio!! I now know the difference between aggressive fighting and fur pulling fighting, what Mischief and Jasper do isn't bad, they seem a bit like they are playing! Jasper with Blossom was real aggression with cuts. Hopefully she wont be like that when there's more rabbits, but all I can do is wait and see!

Last edited:
Back