• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blossoms Spay

I hope that Blossom has recovered well overnight. I also hope that you are managing to cope with the traumatic event at work yesterday. It must have been terrifying xx

Thanks everyone.

The events of Sunday night are just so surreal. We have even talked about 'what if this happens' on occasions. I feel awful for my colleague who was their focus, I ran away and left him :(. My first shift since is today.

Blossom has eaten a few pellets that we left overnight and a little veg. Still no poo though, is this in itself enough to take her back? I've checked her wound which looks ok. I had put a low litter tray in her pen and she has adopted that as a safe area and isn't really leaving it, when I took her out to check her, she got back in and is lying down with her head in her dewlap.

I've just picked her some grass so will see if she eats it x

Just catching up with this thread ... and sending vibes for Blossom after her spay and you after your ordeal.

Sending loads of love x

I've sent you a text as your Inbox is full.
Don't hesitate to call and chat. I'm here all today xx Hugs

Gosh that must've been terrifying :( I hope you're okay and sending vibes for Blossom xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. Thanks MM, hopefully you have received my reply, I'm rubbish on the phone, but I appreciate you taking the time to message, especially when you have things going on.

I didn't last long at work, well I never even started. I felt shaky and weird when I arrived, spent ages talking to everyone about what happened, got upset and it was suggested I came home. None of it seems real.

Re Blossom - We have poo :D:D xx

Thanks everyone. Thanks MM, hopefully you have received my reply, I'm rubbish on the phone, but I appreciate you taking the time to message, especially when you have things going on.

I didn't last long at work, well I never even started. I felt shaky and weird when I arrived, spent ages talking to everyone about what happened, got upset and it was suggested I came home. None of it seems real.

I am not surprised that you are still badly shaken up. I hope that seeing Blossom improve is helping a bit xx

Yes I have your message thank you :wave:

Glad to hear the poo statement xx

More hugs and strength for you x

Blossom had her checkup today and the vet was really happy and so are we.

Her wound is looking lovely and she's eating brilliantly again. She's had some excess cecals, but also normal droppings and the vet didn't appear concerned, things should gradually return to normal. She is on a dose of Loxicom, am I right in thinking that can make them taste funny so the rabbit doesn't want to eat them? x

Her wound is looking lovely and she's eating brilliantly again. She's had some excess cecals, but also normal droppings and the vet didn't appear concerned, things should gradually return to normal. She is on a dose of Loxicom, am I right in thinking that can make them taste funny so the rabbit doesn't want to eat them? x
Ah I'm so glad :D

Yea I think any meds can :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

It is good to hear that Blossom is recovering well from her spay.
I am sorry you had to go through a traumatic event yourself. It is comforting to know that you are OK. Sometimes flight is the best response.

Glad to hear that the check up went well. She may not be eating all her cecals as she may find bending around to do so makes her spay wound feel a bit 'tight'. This will resolve over the next few days.

Also, any medication can sometimes disrupt the flora in the hind gut, making the cecotrophs taste 'wrong', as you suggested.

I am sure your Vet advised you about being ultra vigilant re Flystrike precautions whilst Blossom is leaving cecals lying about. Just in case he/she didn't then there is some useful info on here :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/flystrike/

Hi there :wave:

So glad to hear about Blossom :)

Yes, any meds can affect the taste of the cecals and as you rightly say, may mean that she doesn't seem so keen to eat them.

Also, she may be a bit sore to do the bending round and cleaning routine at the moment, but that should resolve within a day or two :)

Pleased to hear Blossom is doing well. I had to leave my CP at Curry's for a couple of days but we are back to normal hopefully now.

Thanks everyone, makes sense :)

I'll keep a close eye on her re flystrike, thanks for the info JJ. She's in my bedroom, so I keep popping in. She's doing really well :)

Thanks bunny momma, everyone said that at work. In that moment all I knew was I wanted to get the hell out there. I completed my shift today, had a wobble at first, but once I got on with it I felt much better x

Back