• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Biscuits Litter Tray Issues - July 29th

:thumb:

We brush ours daily, I just didn't want to suggest it... every other day is fine, will keep on top of it hopefully. Good luck and try not to let it get you down, I totally know how it feels I really do, we had this and peeing everywhere on everything for about a year with Poppy and were at our wits end several years ago, she only has the odd relapse and already I feel my frustration and temper about the whole thing returning... i'd forgotten how frustrating and upsetting it can be to deal with on daily basis. It does get better, being more laid back about the whole thing really helps you to deal with it... promise! It also reflects on bun.... if you get wound up.....they do tend to do it a lot more, try laughing (even if you don't feel like it) it does help. :)

It does become very frustrating, as obviously, first and foremost this is a house :lol:

I think perhaps my mood is affecting things, i try my best to keep calm, but i am getting a bit more stressy about it as time continues, its very difficult to keep calm, when it seems like he's taking the **** out of me :lol:

It does become very frustrating, as obviously, first and foremost this is a house :lol:

I think perhaps my mood is affecting things, i try my best to keep calm, but i am getting a bit more stressy about it as time continues, its very difficult to keep calm, when it seems like he's taking the **** out of me :lol:

I was in tears pretty much every day and fighting with the OH because of the stress of Poppy :roll: We called in Anne McBride for a house visit, she was fab, and although she couldn't understand what was going on either, she helped us to relax about the whole thing and most importantly to understand that it wasn't Poppy's fault as you really start to believe that the bunny has this level of cognition on a parr with a human and they just don't, she didn't understand what she was doing, was just trying to express something very instinctive and important to her and we learnt to listen to her, try to understand how and why she was feeling so frustrated/upset and tried things to help her with this.... and we finally understood and worked out what it was all about. It was certainly quite a few things going on, her security, her relationship with us and our reaction to her behaviour etc.. and most importantly her needs as a traumatised rescue rabbit, to feel safe (her litter tray needed to be near a bolt hole), to have routine so as not to fear the unexpected and to burn off her pent up energy in a constructive way. I think changing our own perceptions and mood around her behaviour had the biggest impact. I can't imagine going back to those days - it was awful. In two years the worst she has had is the odd tray dig or wee of protest and we know exactly what it relates to usually and can fix it within a day or two, it makes life so much easier. You need to listen to what Biccy is telling you or trying to and not take it personally. :):wave:

Can I throw something else into the mix?

What is he is just happy and so more active as a result?

When Roger was with Summer and Tilly he destroyed everything. I just thought he was awkward. Then when he was left alone he just sat, was the tidiest bunny in the world, but also the saddest. Now he is back with Sandy we are back to everything being trashed totally. He is so much happier and livelier when with her and wants to be more active and is, as a result, causing great chaos.

Could that also be playing a part?

Can I throw something else into the mix?

What is he is just happy and so more active as a result?

When Roger was with Summer and Tilly he destroyed everything. I just thought he was awkward. Then when he was left alone he just sat, was the tidiest bunny in the world, but also the saddest. Now he is back with Sandy we are back to everything being trashed totally. He is so much happier and livelier when with her and wants to be more active and is, as a result, causing great chaos.

Could that also be playing a part?

Of course you can 'throw' - you know i respect your opinions :)

I guess thats possible! It doesn't exactly co-incide with bonding with Ginger, but it wasn't really that long after i suppose.

Biccy always looked sad on his own, similar to Roger i guess. He'd sit there, or lay there, head on the floor looking quite disassociated with the world around him, until we played with him, then he'd be Mr Binky doing bunny 500's and all sorts.

Perhaps he's just enjoying life? In which case, is it bad for me to want that to stop?

Of course you can 'throw' - you know i respect your opinions :)

I guess thats possible! It doesn't exactly co-incide with bonding with Ginger, but it wasn't really that long after i suppose.

Biccy always looked sad on his own, similar to Roger i guess. He'd sit there, or lay there, head on the floor looking quite disassociated with the world around him, until we played with him, then he'd be Mr Binky doing bunny 500's and all sorts.

Perhaps he's just enjoying life? In which case, is it bad for me to want that to stop?

It might coincide with when he started to feel comfortable around her in himself. I suspect it is affected by her, if happiness is not the issue.

Maybe stimulating his environment more (as well as more exercise as PL says) might be worthwhile? do they always have access to their extension?

It might coincide with when he started to feel comfortable around her in himself. I suspect it is affected by her, if happiness is not the issue.

Maybe stimulating his environment more (as well as more exercise as PL says) might be worthwhile? do they always have access to their extension?

99.9% of the time, yes they have access to their extension when they are confined. The only time i ever have to put them in the 4x4 is whilst we do some major housework, or if i'm having a house inspection.

Housework, as Ginger is petrified of the hoover and seems to much prefer having somewhere 'enclosed' whilst its on, and house inspection, well, obvious :)

I think stimulation of the environment, enrichment i think was the way i put it to you the other day when we were discussing it non-RU.

I'll wait for payday, get a new tunnel, which i've been wanting for ages and a few extra bits and bobs and see if i can work out the extention into the hallway. As its lino anyway, it can't really be damaged, unless they manage to chew up the edges somehow, which will destroy our deposit, hey ho!

Bunnys have to have the best...!

I would also maybe suggest three litter trays. Might be overkill but I often use more trays than bunnies in there.

My pair have three litter trays :) two upstairs and one downstairs in their hutch. Otherwise... they poo everrrrywhere! :lol: i tried takeing one away... and they just peed everywhere. :lol:

Lola is doing this too, every day withour fail. She'll be five soon. Such a naughty bunny but oh I love her so much! :lol: I'll be wathcing this thread closely! :love: xx

ETA: Free range 24/7, lots of toys and four litter trays, 1 is cat- tray, 2 are large corner and 1 is the pink powder room boutique. :wave:

Last edited:
Bubbles has been doing this the last couple of weeks too, all of a sudden out of the blue and I can't think of anything that's changed.

I'd been assuming it was Alfie, since he's usually the troublemaker, but was shocked to catch Bubbles in the act the other day. My illusions of her being an angel have been shattered. :angel: :lol:

Here's a question. If its happening wide spread across the board, could this be related to something wider? Like instinct?

This time of year in the wild, The boy bunnies in particular move to different warrens. They are also looking to sort their accommodation for the winter.

Could it somehow be related to that? Like restless bunnies because their instinct is to move far and wide?

With so many bunnies doing this out of the blue in the last few weeks, and so many old offenders repeating again recently too i'm quite convinced that it has 'something' to do with the onset of winter, changing light levels and drop in temperature that is stimulating this behaviour. I am curious to know whether or not it is just house buns or all buns? :?

I'm certain for Poppy it's the transition from autumn to winter, less time to play outside and her mind trying to catch up with her body that now wants to sleep, but she's not yet wound down into winter mode. We do seem to have relapses at this time of year each year in the autumn-winter transition.

Here's a question. If its happening wide spread across the board, could this be related to something wider? Like instinct?

This time of year in the wild, The boy bunnies in particular move to different warrens. They are also looking to sort their accommodation for the winter.

Could it somehow be related to that? Like restless bunnies because their instinct is to move far and wide?

Ha! Posted at same time - great minds think alike! :D

I have another theory too.... please correct me but are not all offenders lop-eared bunnies?! Poppy and Biscuit are... Bubbles looks like she is, is Lola a lop?

I have another theory too.... please correct me but are not all offenders lop-eared bunnies?! Poppy and Biscuit are... Bubbles looks like she is, is Lola a lop?

Lola is a lop yes. :lol:
SDC13647.jpg

Back