• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I make my bun to pee on the litter box?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
https://www.ebay.com/itm/314547254184?var=613100140637

I need some help. I switch over to this kind of litter tray about 1.5 mth. ago. At the beginning, my bun will somewhat uses it. But in the past 2 weeks, she refuse to use it, and invent new spots nearby to pee.

And when I take her to the litter tray spot, she would hold it and wait for me to leave, and then use another spot nearby to pee. What can be done?

Off hand, I can use some urine soaked towel and lure her to use that spot

It doesn't look very comfortable to sit on with the grid thingie on the bottom. I'd suggest giving her a regular litter tray with litter and see if she'll use that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314547254184?var=613100140637

I need some help. I switch over to this kind of litter tray about 1.5 mth. ago. At the beginning, my bun will somewhat uses it. But in the past 2 weeks, she refuse to use it, and invent new spots nearby to pee.

And when I take her to the litter tray spot, she would hold it and wait for me to leave, and then use another spot nearby to pee. What can be done?

Off hand, I can use some urine soaked towel and lure her to use that spot

Jason, here in the UK we don’t advocate using the mesh based litter trays/cages on welfare grounds. Whilst they can make it easier for us to clean they can cause problems for the Rabbit as they can damage their hocks. As one of your Bunnies is a Rex I would definitely not use mesh bottomed litter trays. As you know, Rexes are especially prone to sore hocks.

I would use a large plastic litter tray, something like an under bed storage box. You can use any paper or wood pellet based litter with soft hay on top as a substrate. If you provide a large litter box you will probably find that your Rabbits are more likely to use it.

To add, any change in litter tray habits can be an early warning sign of a health problem. So if the Rabbit had previously been good at using a litter tray and suddenly stopped doing so it might be a good idea to arrange a health check up.

Since the mesh is removable, perhaps remove the mesh instead of getting a different litterbox.
Years ago I had a disabled bunny who I briefly tried to keep dry on a similar surface. It was too harsh on him and he also tripped on the mesh, so I soon abandoned that idea.
Your bunny is finding the mesh to be uncomfortable.
Also, like IMsaid she may have medical issue. My girl peed outside box when she had a urinary tract infection.

Last edited:
there is no sign of health problem. Now, if she needs to pee, it's only a 10 to 15 sec. job. The rest of the day, she doesn't stay at that area. She pee on average, once every 2 hr. , at that location from say 10 pm to 6 am. AFter that, she go back downstair, in which she pees on the towels

I was using towels for decades, but I want to improve, as they chew on the towel, w/ this addition, there is no more towel upstair for them to chew on

I would take the mesh out and put one of the towels on the base.

Mesh bases always pose a risk of gtting eg claws stuck, which causes a lot of distress to the animal and may end up with a ripped out claw or damaged toe.

I tried this type of litter tray for the cats once and they really didn't like it so I swapped back to standard trays. It's always better to get a tray that they will use comfortably, rather than having to clear up messes elsewhere.

I use 32 litre underbed storage boxes for all my rabbits lined with newspaper straw and hay. They also have a hayrack (magazine rack) full of hay next to the trays so they can eat and wee and not soil all their hay.

Back