• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Behaviour getting worse!!

Bobo89

Young Bun
I had my baby boys neutered nearly two weeks ago now. The reason i got them neutered was so that eventualy they could live as a pair or failing that be paired up with neutered females. I read that neutring also helps with behaviour. However, after neutering my rabbit Bobo seems to have got worse. He constantly digs at the carpet in my room (something he did not do before). I swear he started growling at me last night when i moved him away!! I don't like having him in his cage but have not got the time to sit and watch him constantly. I dont know what to do. When he is being nice he is lovely but when he is in one of those moods he is hard work. He has also started banging his cage alot more than he did before. Will he calm down again? Any advice???

Give them time.It will take 6 weeks for the bun to become infertile...prolly longer than that for bunny to settle.
Prolly cross at you for a start!!!:roll::roll::lol:
Time is of the essence....I promise bun will be fine. My Beebee the Nethie is a little angel now!!!:wave::wave:

Thank you for your reply. Yes i think they are pretty mad at me and my partner. I still feel guilty now. But its for the better. Aw Bobo is a nethie two. kenco is a mini lop. What should i do about his scratching though? Should i just persevere and keep moving him. Its always the same spot. Ive used pillows to block the side of my bed so he cant get around the back to my wires. He always scratches at them!!!!
Nichola xxxx

I agree that it takes time for testosterone levels to drop.
If he digs in 1or 2 places a square of spare carpet where he digs may help. The alternative is a box/tray he can dig in, placed in a digging spot, as digging is natural rabbit behaviour.
The only other thing I can think of is that he may be a bit bored, & short periods of 20 mins only on warmer days in an outdoor run, may give him some stimulation.

It might be now they've less hormonally driven things to occupy their time they need new things. Try providing some new toys and activities that are a bit less destructive. A bg cardboard box or series of boxes, a tunnel, digging box, treat ball and hide the food so they have to hunt it out :)

:DYes that all sounds good. I agree he could be abit bored. Im going to update is living quarters very soon- give him more space to play with. I also like the idea of the spare bit of carpet. Protect my own for a start! :D
Thanks xxxx

My partner and i were just playing with Bobo and he started biting and scratching at the cushion (blocking him from going behind my bed). When i tried to move him away he turned around and bit my thumb. It was fairly hard it made me shout. I tried to move him a few more times with my foot and he went for me about three times. I asked my partner to move him and he actually bit him quite hard and drew blood. I dont know why he is biting it is really upsetting. This is the first time it has happened and im starting to feel he has changed since he has been neutered. Any advice?> What could be wrong with him? He still sits with me but seems to have found this new mad streak:(

I think that the neutering came at the same time as adolescent testosterone rush. He'll be feeling sexually frustrated It will go on for the next 6-8 weeks.
Rabbit behaviour is to be "social climbers" - to get up as far as the social ladder as they can - & they'll be aggressive to climb the ladder. They are also very sensitive to our feelings.

It's not uncommon for them to include people in their social heirarchy, & play the physical & psychological game of "Let's you & me fight it out for top buck". Some get aggressive over space (living quarters) or food, which is easier to handle. The important thing is not to even feel frightened, (= he's achieved the beginning of back off). I found it equally important not to use any aggression eg squirting with a water spray was advised - he bit the nozzel!! & won by eliciting an aggressive reponse from me. I managed to find a way to hide my inner annoyance too.

I used several methods with my buck simultaneously. He'd growl & paw the air (aggressive display) when I opened his hutch. I wore thick gardening gloves - complete protection - no fear & importantly no back off.
Some people do a loud EEK sound when they bite. As it had no effect with us I asserted my dominance "top rabbit" by forcing a rabbit submission from him = you're boss. I put my index finger across his forehead just in front of his ears & increased the pressure until his chin was on the ground. He was very reluctant to give that last millimeter which confirmed to me that we had dominance issues.

It sounds crackers but to hide my annoyance I sang silly happy songs. Can't feel cross while doing that.

The digging & biting the cushion is a typical rabbit temper tantrum. Mine is allowed to have a strop on the cushion in his carrier.
With spraying - that can be reduced by not using any scents in the house.

Because mine couldn't be neutered I got him a toy rabbit to hump, but I don't recommend this in your situation. As the hormones die down we want him to forget about humping, not get in the habit of it.

If he was being a pain in the neck, & repeatedly challenging he was put in his own pad where he couldn't do much damage. They can be naughty on purpose out of boredom just to wind us up & get a chase or some action. The important thing here is plenty of distraction/play with short breaks for us in their own pad. Again no pay off of a chase - drop thin towel over them pick em up & out.

It's a combination of standard rabbit behaviour & the human child in the terrible 2's.

Within 3 weeks, Thumper still had his strong personality. He's never layed a tooth on me or anyone else in 4 years, he's incredibly affectionate, we have a very close relationship, he's still got his plums, & he's as good as gold.

:wave:Thank you so so much for your advice. I am going to try distracting him mor eif he starts scratching the cushion and wil try my best ti hide my fear. I dont believe he is an aggressive rabbit- he can be so so loving and give me so many kisses! i think i was more shcoked than anythinng. We are updating his home at the weekend coz his current one is abit small and part of the problem may just be boredom. I am planning on spending some quality time with him later tonight. I will writr how it goes!!!

Please keep us updated. He sounds a lovely rabbit & I'm sure you'll get through this " adolescent crisis" of his fine.

It occurred to me that bucks have the job of keeping the warren burrows clear & clean. Mine gets cross & chews the obstruction, if I obstruct one of his runs round furniture, eg handbag on the floor in a narrow space.
The only place I had to block for his own safety was behind the cooker & used wood to do so.

A lovely vet nurse told me that she'd studied wild rabbit behaviour & compared it to our pets, & found there wasn't much difference.

My situation is slightly different with an uneutered buck as a free ranging house rabbit. I reckoned that he couldn't help instinctive behaviour = being a rabbit, but I found alternative ways for him to express it, & made a few very minor changes myself eg no "smellies" (which stopped spraying completely) I'm actually gobsmacked by how much he has adapted to me!! Right down to our routine of a.m. playtime, p.m. playtime & bed time cuddles.

I've every confidence you'll both get there.

Back