• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Taming new bunny

DustyHJ

New Kit
Hello, I am relatively new to owning rabbits and have recently purchased a male. (I will be getting a female once he is neutered as I heard these are the best pairings). I only purchased him yesterday he is around 9-12 weeks old and I am unsure on the breed but he is a lop. Yesterday I left him to settle in but he did get used to seeing me, today I opened the cage to clear his things and he came over to my hand and over to where I was, he ate out of my hand as well. I’ve never had a bunny be this quick to come over etc. Stroking and petting are not okay for now but are there any tips on how I can bond with him? I know to let them come to you but when do you think is the right time to attempt to pet him again?

Last edited:
Hello, I am relatively new to owning rabbits and have recently purchased a male. (I will be getting a female once he is neutered as I heard these are the best pairings). I only purchased him yesterday he is around 9-12 weeks old and I am unsure on the breed but he is a lop. Yesterday I left him to settle in but he did get used to seeing me, today I opened the cage to clear his things and he came over to my hand and over to where I was, he ate out of my hand as well. I’ve never had a bunny be this quick to come over etc. Stroking and petting are not okay for now but are there any tips on how I can bond with him? I know to let them come to you but when do you think is the right time to attempt to pet him again?

I have had bunnies that arrived aloof & softened up, one or 2 that remained aloof ...at the opposite end I've had 2 bunnies who groomed me & showed affection within hours of meeting me. So if you're new bun is already enjoying strokes & fusses don't hang back (in my opinion). Its all about reading your buns body language. If he approaches you & asks to be petted then pet him you must :lol: Its lovely your already thinking of a friend for him. I'd recommend adopting a rescue as then you won't have to keep them seperate forever while you vaccinate & spay her...& you should get help with bonding that way 2 if you need it. So much less stressful & much cheaper too

Back