• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Beautiful Bessie is very poorly/ we've lost her

Bessie is home now. She had a conscious abdominal x-ray taken which showed that there is still extra gas in her stomach but thankfully nothing more serious. It is possible that the gas is still causing her pain and because of her disabilities she may well be focusing more on the pain than a "normal" bunny.

As she is eating reasonably ok and pooing we are going to leave it at that for a few more days. She will continue on zantc and infacol.

If I am not happy with her by the weekend we will be getting a full blood profile done.

Although it is fairly good news so far, I still don't feel any happier about the situation. I wont relax until she is back to binkying about the place again.

We lost Bessie this morning. We can't quite get our heads around it at the moment, she was quite bright yesterday but was in a bad way when we got up this morning.

I will post more when I'm thinking straight

I am so sorry Liz. Its such a shock for you as she came home for the vets and appeared to be improving.

Thank you, we are just stunned at the moment even though I had a feeling from the start there was something more seriously wrong.

Yesterday was her best day for a week, she was tucking into her food with more enthusiasm than I had seen in a while and she had spent time out in the garden pottering about and munching grass. Even so I was taking her for blood tests tomorrow when Moses goes up.

This morning when we got up she was in a really bad way, we couldn't believe it. She wouldn't eat and was to weak to stand properly, her body had swollen up. I just couldn't understand what had happened.

Luckily we were able to get her straight up to the vets to see Jen (its her last day today). She didn't know what it was either but knew she couldn't be saved so w made the decision to let her go. Steve was going to stay with her, but while they took her through the back to to put the canula in her ear she passed away. Thankfully Bunny Bundy was with her at the time.

We have had a post mortum done. Although we don't have all the answers it seems she had an old injury to her front leg and she had developed a massive infection. We don't know if the bloat was a symptom of the problems or whether the stress of the bloat lowered her immune system.

Life just seems so unfair at the moment, in the few weeks we had her Bessie had become such a happy playful bunny. She loved destroying willow toys with a passion and did crazy binkies even though most times she banged her head on something. And she was always so helpful when I was cleaning her cage out everyday.

Back