• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus, gut stasis

It's like with Lord H and his weird gut issues. Trial and error (or 'Terror' for me at times !!) as to what will or will not set things off. Things that 'should' help can make him worse, things that 'should' cause problems do not do so :roll:

Re Atticus's eye, he probably has/had a bit of Rex fur in it and that has caused a mild irritation around the tear duct. So extra tears/gloop can occur. Rex Rabbits in moult often get runny/gloopy eye(s). Rabbits who have been very poorly may go on to have a heavy moult.Just gently bathe the eye with some cooled boiled water for now. From the image there does not appear to be any signs of infection. But I know that you will keep an eye out for that ( no pun intended!)

Yea it's exactly like that, I remember at the beginning of the megacolon saga I read about certain forage that could help or was good for this certain thing etc, and every single one made him so sick [emoji38] and other things that I kept say to avoid were okay, it's so tricky to judge! This morning there's some oval golden poops!!! :D also some messes and splats tho [emoji38] real mixed bag, but I'll take it, he's eating a lot more hay now too :D

Ah okay, yea I'll keep a very close eye ([emoji38]) on it, can always take him to the vets if it doesn't go or looks worse, I'll bathe it too :) kinda wondering if buns can get things like that from being run down? A bit like people? I mean he's really been through it and he's quite a delicate rabbit.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

dear graciee,-small lump,could be a cyst-maybe sty,[eyelash follical]-??-good observation--,.-if it doesnot wipe off,--size and redness does matter,infection,etc.--time will tell,[atticus]-beautiful bun.sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Thanks James, I'll keep a close eye on it :)

Gracie ,
You did, are doing, an awsome job. Very impressive.
Thanks :) doesn't feel like it though, just feels like I've waded through a bad situation [emoji38] but I'm so glad Atticus is still here, it really did look so bad I was convinced I'd lose him :( also now am in awe of veterinary nurses, I don't think I could hack that job, very intense and exhausting! Also thankful all his ear catheters worked okay, and I didn't have to do sq fluids, like I do for my other bun, Atticus is so skinny there's not much to grab, and I bet he wouldn't have sat still [emoji51][emoji38]

Thanks :) doesn't feel like it though, just feels like I've waded through a bad situation [emoji38] but I'm so glad Atticus is still here, it really did look so bad I was convinced I'd lose him :( also now am in awe of veterinary nurses, I don't think I could hack that job, very intense and exhausting! Also thankful all his ear catheters worked okay, and I didn't have to do sq fluids, like I do for my other bun, Atticus is so skinny there's not much to grab, and I bet he wouldn't have sat still [emoji51][emoji38]

I was worried you would lose him too, though that may have been because I lost Dash under similar circumstances at the end of september, and his twin, Evan, 11 months ago. The one difference is my boys were very small, 0.75 kg. Dash was always slightly thin,even for his small bone structure. He ate more hay and greens than bunnies three times his size, and his poos were large ovals. Evan was more compact and he had normal poos that were small like he was when he was not having another stasis episode. I still wonder why they did not recover like they did before. Then I remind myself that both were sick when I picked them up and they would not have survived their first illness with average care. I miss them both, and would gladly give them round the clock,sleep deprived care,if they did not leave for the bridge.
This is why I am so glad you were able to save Aticus. Results do not lie. You did wonderful.
Also IV fluids are best for very ill bunnies, because they not absorbe sub q quick enough. Plus, you are right about sub q with a skinny bunny.

Last edited:
Is Atticus back to being himself, eating lots of hay and making lots of nice poo?
I missed this sorry!
I was just coming to say he's been unwell again and noticed all these messages I'd missed :(

It smells terrible again, and there's a fair bit more in his hay, which I've cleaned up, he's still eating atm so we'll see I guess :(
203ed819cf5e9a1dad477dbf4cad7cdf.jpg

Oh no :cry: sending lots of vibes xx
Thanks Zoobec, yea Idk what's causing it, he's just having hay, but since the horrendous episode last time he has small flare ups every so often like this. This one's the worst though, I'm just hoping he's not going back down hill, I'm not sure I could repeat that level of care again so soon, the last lot nearly killed me [emoji21] xx

Thanks Zoobec, yea Idk what's causing it, he's just having hay, but since the horrendous episode last time he has small flare ups every so often like this. This one's the worst though, I'm just hoping he's not going back down hill, I'm not sure I could repeat that level of care again so soon, the last lot nearly killed me [emoji21] xx

I reckon he’s giving you practice for when you have the baby ;) :lol:

I reckon he’s giving you practice for when you have the baby ;) [emoji38]

Well it's a cruel joke [emoji38] hopefully a baby doesn't require kneeling on the floor and fighting it in a towel whilst I get liquid feed all over me [emoji38] you know last time I went to the vets and didn't realise til I got back that I had liquid feed in my hair.. [emoji849]

Oh no, hope it is just a blip and not him being ill again. Sending zillions of vibes.

Same, he's been nibbling hay, watching him like a hawk, I just hope it's a flare up, and he doesn't go into stasis.. Idk what causes the flare ups though :( it's been worse since he was so ill.. And Idk why :(

Thanks x

Well it's a cruel joke [emoji38] hopefully a baby doesn't require kneeling on the floor and fighting it in a towel whilst I get liquid feed all over me [emoji38] you know last time I went to the vets and didn't realise til I got back that I had liquid feed in my hair.. [emoji849]

:lol: You will get plenty of different liquids on you when you have the baby:lol:

[emoji38] You will get plenty of different liquids on you when you have the baby[emoji38]
Christ.. See I'm not sure I'm cut out for this [emoji38][emoji38] I'm like a clean freak.. [emoji51] I guess I'll adapt [emoji51] sounds like hell though [emoji38]

Christ.. See I'm not sure I'm cut out for this [emoji38][emoji38] I'm like a clean freak.. [emoji51] I guess I'll adapt [emoji51] sounds like hell though [emoji38]

You will be fine :love:

Back