• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Allen and Page rabbit pellets

Bunnyboarding said:
luvabun said:
Morning Nicola - I'm now mixing the remaining A & P with SS as its a waste of time and effort getting the 20 kg. sack. So at the mo, they're selecting the SS and leaving the A & P until last. So in the Totti and Brody taste test, the A & P failed.

Yes, but were you offering the two types together or within short timescale of each other, Luvabun?

Sometimes they (like all animals) will hang on for something else if they think they'll get it...its a case of being cruel to be kind sometimes.

If i ever had a rabbit like that (which wasn't often - they must know what i'm like!) i never refilled the food bowl until it was empty. They soon caught on. :wink:

A bit like making sure the kids eat their greens!! :lol:

Apart from that no real worries.

The different types of pellets are mixed in the same bowl and they only get the one bowl. So all the ones that got thrown out of the bowl yesterday have been miraculously eaten. I think you and I think the same way Cheryl.

In that case i would give them just the one type for a few weeks (ie the one you want them to eat). It should get easier from there, once they are used to it. :D

Morning all

Thanks for all the positive feedback! After reading all this I will def try A + P pellets, my little one will eat it no problem as she eats anything! Just my older bun I'll have to try harder with as she has been used to a mix. I've found a supplier so I will order them soon.

I'm hoping that my little one will have no more sticky poos, the Excel seems to create a lot of waste! I've got a big black bin to store it in so no problem with storage and going off!

Cheryl - think I didn't explain myself well re. going to a horse feed place. They do a lot of other food and if a horse feed place gets in the horse food they will prob be able to order me the rabbit pellets - didn't mean it to sound like I was gonna feed them horse food! :D

Nicola

nicolar said:
Morning all

I'm hoping that my little one will have no more sticky poos, the Excel seems to create a lot of waste! I've got a big black bin to store it in so no problem with storage and going off!

Nicola

I got my 20kg sack I think end of Oct/ beginning of Nov and the sell by date on the sack was 20th December. There was no way I could use all that before then. Did use it beyond the sell by date :oops: sshhhh :oops: but noticed it was disintegrating so scrapped that idea.

Hmmm not sure I will get through that much either but looking at it price wise, even if I don't get through all of it it's prob still much cheaper than buying the Excel! I sometimes mix my foods in with another if they have gone out of date by a bit as they are generally OK for a bit after the use by date, but as u said it was starting to disintegrate, maybe not the best idea!! Although could make the buns a nice mash for the cold winter nights!

Are you going to be using SS now Luvabun?

Another idea I had was perhaps sharing a sack with somebody who only has a few buns but not sure I know anybody who uses it! It's a shame the pet shops or suppliers can't split it into smaller sacks!

Nicola

Some pet shops probably would. I get my Natural Pet Food Company guinea pig mix from a pet shop who does just this - that food is only available in 15 kg sacks but I buy it from them in 5lb bags.

My buns are currently on SS but these pellets sound even better. Whereabouts in Bucks are you Nicolar? I work in Milton Keynes and would happily goe halves with you if you are near enough.

Hi Julie

I'm in High Wycombe, it's about an hour from Milton Keynes maybe slightly less so it's a bit of a drive!!

Do you live closer in this direction or out the other way? I've worked out I would be using approx 3 kgs a month so it depends what the sell by date is. I hate wasting it but at only £6 a sack it works out so well price-wise even if I am not able to use it all. 4kgs of Excel is nearly £6, what a difference in price!!

I wonder if there are any bunny rescue organisations who use A+P and would appreciate the food I don't need?

Nicola

nicolar said:
Are you going to be using SS now Luvabun?
Nicola

At the mo the mix is now mainly SS and I will continue with SS if I don't get sticky butts. Even Molly, who I was told does not like pellets, prefers the SS to the mix she was having. So thats good news as she was definitely selectively picking out the flaked peas and ignoring most of the other stuff. Good job she loves the hay and straw that I've got. I feel another visit to the farm in a couple of weeks. :p

Nicola,

Could you donate some for bunnies at work?

Always handy for making a liquidy mash for syringe feeding inappetant bunnies......

Just an idea :lol:

Jill - Molly sounds like she is settling in well :) She is just gorgeous. I'm glad she likes the pellets. How old is she again? There may be hope for my 5 year old yet then!!

Cheryl - yep was thinking of that, we use Excel at work but I will speak to my friend at work and see whether we could use the leftover A+P pellets too as they must be very similar! Wonder if there are any other smaller rescues who could do with the food? I'd rather not waste it!

Nicola

nicolar said:
Do you live closer in this direction or out the other way?
Nicola
The other way, unfortunately, just over the Northants border.

Mine go mad for their SS so I may just stick with that for now although I will try and find out if any local pet shops stock the A & P one.

That is a shame else I might have found a solution to my soon to be large supply of A+P pellets!! I looked on the Allen and Page website, I'm sure there were some stockists in Milton Keynes, it is worth looking there to see if you can find any near to u.

Nicola

nicolar said:
Jill - Molly sounds like she is settling in well :) She is just gorgeous. I'm glad she likes the pellets. How old is she again? There may be hope for my 5 year old yet then!!

Nicola
She's 11!!! And she's settled in sooooooooo well - we do everything together. She's a real lap bun and I've had to perfect typing with my right hand 'cos her favourite position is on my lap, with her head resting in the crock of my arm when I'm on the PC. She was even grooming herself in the bathroom this morn whilst I was in the bath. We're officially bonded :p

Wish I needed less of it!!

I get through 1 sack a week, but thats nothing compared to the 3 or 4 sacks I used to get through weekly when i had far more especially with the amount Frenchies munch.

My food bills were thru the roof! :shock:

Ah sounds like she has fallen on her paws!! What a brilliant age, hope mine get to reach that :D

Bless her cotton socks!

Wow 1 sack a week! How many do you have? At least there is no waste! :) I'll just have to get some more bunnies so that there is no wastage! :D Don't think my mum will fall for that reason somehow :lol:

Hi Nicola,

I currently have 9 Belgian Hares (including bubbies), 4 bonded French Lops (& 5 guineas although they obviously dont have pellet). I sure get through the woodshavings, hay & feed!!

Its a lot easier than when i had 40-50 French Lops (A lot i know, but I always used to get around 7-12 youngsters in each litter!)so that figure included the max number of youngsters & adults i had. As a friend who had French Lops used to say to me "you soon know when you've got a litter to feed!". They eat for England especially when growing. :!:

I used to spend £100 pound a month of my rabbit supplies not to mention show fees, BRC membership, rings, grooming equipment & petrol!!

You'd be surprised! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Crazy isn't it! :roll:

Back