• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alf-Flo health check report

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
Just thought I'd keep everyone updated following Afred & Flo's health check last night at the vets. We couldn't get in last week due to vet shortage (covid) - which coincidently seems to be tearing through my workplace at the moment - 5 people testing positive in 4 weeks, 1 hospitaliszed, 2 very poorly but just returned, one unwell for a week and one just gone down with it.
Anyhoo, took Afred & Flo to see the vet just to get them checked out. Their first vet vist (and hopefully the last). Alfred was first - ears good, slight bit of wax but not of concern. Eyes - well he has eye discharge which we knew about. Not sure of the origin but we give his eyes a wipe to keep the dried fluid at bay. Teeth fine and his weight is a bit on the chonk side at 3 and a quarter kilos.
Flo was next. Not quite as keen or as 'co-operative'. Her ears are ok - again a slight bit of wax but not any concern. No teeth worries and no other concerns other than a bit over her ideal weight - she's about the same a Alfred.
Flo seems much happier in herself - both my wife and I note. My wife reports Flo looked so much more happier this morning as she was sitting sunbathing in the living room on her green towel, just beaming. Alfred is still quite anxious of us both - not really liking to have any strokies but is always extremely relaxed so it's confusing for me. I know and we know that Flo needed the companion to help her and that was why we put her through the bonding process at the Blue cross centre with Alfred. Alfred is Flo's companion and as much as he is part of our family, we are not yet his close family. Hopefully in time he will feel more accepting of us.
I'll update as much as I can.
Craig x

Aww lovely update Craig, a beaming Flo really made me smile too :D. I'm sure Alf is still finding his paws, and I bet he's soon enjoying a little fuss. They are both very lucky bunnies finding you and Jan x

Glad the vet visit went well for them both, apart from their weight.

Tui was always very nervous of us, possibly partly to do with her poor eyesight. Since Tethra died and with the thought that it would be easier for bonding purposes if she were more trusting, I have been hand-feeding her all her pellets. She gets very few, but they are highly valued by her. I have varied the location around her accommodation, but each time have got down on the floor with her. Previously she had the pellets in a dish. At first it took her a while to be brave enough to take a pellet out of my hand. But very slowly she has improved a lot, so that she now accepts strokes anywhere on her body, sometime letting me know when she's had enough, but also sometimes the strokes have gone on for a long time without her moving. Then a couple of weeks ago she put one paw up on my hand :) The last couple of days I've been sitting on the floor in the shed with my legs outstretched and she has been climbing all over them to get her pellets :)

I think something like this might work for Alf(red). It would also mean that you could cut down his pellet ration to deal with his weight issue, as feeding like this takes a lot longer than them just eating out of a dish.

Very nice update, I'm so happy for them. :) Don't worry about Alfred, rabbits take a long time to fully trust. Soon Alfred will surpass them all :)

I’ve cut down massively on pellet intake. They both only get a tiny amount spread through the day and a lot is hidden round the various areas. Alfred is a surprisingly big unit. I thought from the photos he was a diddy little bun but he’s quite a monster. He’s not fat - not that I think. He’s just a big unit but he was crammed into a tiny tiny hutch with 7 siblings plus mum and dad when he was rescued. So this new space and garden is all new for him.
One thing I did buy last week - and thoroughly recommend, is one of them automated pet feeders from trixie. I got it from work (one of the few perks) and it’s pitched as a cat/dog feeder. 2 small hollow trays with a 48 hour simple timer that you set to open at a given number of hours from when you set it. So I set both kids to open an hour apart between mid day abd 1pm. The trays have dried forage, a few pellets, a chopped blueberry and some fresh herbs and greens. As both buns get the munchies around mid day then this works a treat for us and the buns have something to look forward to every day when we are at work (wife works Monday Wednesday and Thursday) so they get the timed lunches 3 days a week. I’d highly recommend the automatic dispensers.

I’ve cut down massively on pellet intake. They both only get a tiny amount spread through the day and a lot is hidden round the various areas. Alfred is a surprisingly big unit. I thought from the photos he was a diddy little bun but he’s quite a monster. He’s not fat - not that I think. He’s just a big unit but he was crammed into a tiny tiny hutch with 7 siblings plus mum and dad when he was rescued. So this new space and garden is all new for him.
One thing I did buy last week - and thoroughly recommend, is one of them automated pet feeders from trixie. I got it from work (one of the few perks) and it’s pitched as a cat/dog feeder. 2 small hollow trays with a 48 hour simple timer that you set to open at a given number of hours from when you set it. So I set both kids to open an hour apart between mid day abd 1pm. The trays have dried forage, a few pellets, a chopped blueberry and some fresh herbs and greens. As both buns get the munchies around mid day then this works a treat for us and the buns have something to look forward to every day when we are at work (wife works Monday Wednesday and Thursday) so they get the timed lunches 3 days a week. I’d highly recommend the automatic dispensers.

Wow first time hearing this, sounds great, maybe I can buy it too. Is that what you said?

https://youtu.be/GhMY9nfvhSY

Pleased the Vet visit went well for you Craig. It is still early days for Alf to be more friendly. I suppose his bad start in life has made him distrust humans and we can understand that.

I am often told bunnies are overweight to my surprise, including an adult weighing 0.7kg! He was such a bitty bun that it was the only time I was glad vet was not my doctor.:lol:
Though I have had my share of chill bunnies who gained weight with virtually no pellets/treats, especial my first mini rex and also my current one, Heidi. She is such a good girl and she gets my spouse to feed her one at a time pellets and pieces of fibafirst sticks. I never saw a bunny eat that quickly.
With Al'f's history, I am surprised he is not food aggressive. He is so lucky to have you, Jan, and Flo. It is good he is cooperative at the vet, so he may just need more time. I am sure he loves you.
You must be so relieved Flo was able to be bonded and is content with her new partener. A win-win-win-win for your household.

Back