• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Absess up juniors nose :(

Katheryn

Young Bun
My bun is very poorly. He's got an absess up his nose - my vet told me to get him put to sleep - was about to but couldnt as he's not ready to go in my opinion. Took him to a vet whose a bit more clued up with rabbits - now have penicillin to inject every 3rd day for the absess, metacam 0.4ml once a day and 0.4ml ranitidine twice daily. Vet is pretty sure its caused by his back teeth but he's so poorly. he's not eating, drinking, pooing or weeing! (hasnt for the last 4days) Been giving him water and liquidised carrot via a syringe - just wondering if anyone knows how much he should be having as i havnt got a clue - also what other veg can i liquidise? Meant to be taking him back on monday to see if he's well enough for xrays but he just seems to be getting worse :( anyone experienced this? More worried that he isnt going to the loo cus he seems happy to be fed just cant seem to eat for himself. x

Just read some threads about critical care?? Im guessing this is a liquid food for animals? Where can i get it from? and if i cant what can i feed my bun in liquid form? Please help cus i hate seeing him so poorly xx

Last edited:
I would have throught the vet would have admitted him if he's as bad as your saying he is. Could your vet not give you some critical care to feed or some avipro plus? That would be better to feed than just liquidised vegetables.

Helen xx

Well i thought he would of done. Cus he had to give him oxygen cus he's breathing through his mouth as his nose is completely blocked and his lips were blue. He's just told me to try the medicines and go back on monday. I told him he wasnt eating, drinking or going to the loo and he said just to keep him indoors so i can monitor him which i have so think il ring tomorrow to try and get some of this food. I dunno how long rabbits can go without going to the toilet before its a problem? because surely if im feeding him and giving him water it should be coming out? x

Please take him back to the Vets this morning and ask for him to be admitted for Intensive Care. It is absolutely essential that he receives IV or subcutaneous fluids, Oxygen, syringe feeds (approx 10ml/kg every 1-2 hours). He may also need additional medication to get his guts working.

I am sorry that he is so ill :cry:

Well i thought he would of done. Cus he had to give him oxygen cus he's breathing through his mouth as his nose is completely blocked and his lips were blue. He's just told me to try the medicines and go back on monday. I told him he wasnt eating, drinking or going to the loo and he said just to keep him indoors so i can monitor him which i have so think il ring tomorrow to try and get some of this food. I dunno how long rabbits can go without going to the toilet before its a problem? because surely if im feeding him and giving him water it should be coming out? x

Even a day or so of not eating is a serious problem. Like Jane has said he should be on a drip. Given its been 4 days since he has eaten his chances probably aren't great at all of pulling through.

I've been in a similar situation with one of my bunnies who had a jaw abcess. She didn't respond well to me administering the required treatment and she gradually ate less and less. I knew she was never going to get better and it was kinder to have her put to sleep so she didn't have to suffer anymore.

Helen xx

Back