• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abscess on face - Vibes and advice please

There's been a bit of 'Medivet-bashing' recently. Great to hear they are still doing a marvellous job for our buns Wendy:)I always found Pet Plan were good at paying up, even for dental issues where it wasn't for 'routine' burring.

They're doing an amazing job with mine, and we've had a rough time over the past couple of years. Polar Bear had a couple of episodes of stasis prior to his abscess, and my netherland dwarf had a retrobulbar abscess (also a result of dental issues) which they fixed with surgery and penicillin :):thumb:

They're doing an amazing job with mine, and we've had a rough time over the past couple of years. Polar Bear had a couple of episodes of stasis prior to his abscess, and my netherland dwarf had a retrobulbar abscess (also a result of dental issues) which they fixed with surgery and penicillin :):thumb:

Great news. I've always found Medivet to be top notch :D

Thanks all well first attempt at injection did not go well at home. Got it in the skin but OH couldnt get the syringe to go down pressed too hard and the needle cap came off spraying the dose everywhere! :( going to have to try again tonight. Anyone got any tips?? :(

Thanks all well first attempt at injection did not go well at home. Got it in the skin but OH couldnt get the syringe to go down pressed too hard and the needle cap came off spraying the dose everywhere! :( going to have to try again tonight. Anyone got any tips?? :(

I see :shock:

You didn't actually reach the space between the skin and muscle by the sounds of it.

Best idea is to get the vet nurse to show you, and for you to do one whilst you're there. You can inject a syringe full of saline into your rabbit without harm, to practise :)

You need to tent the skin, then inject into the tent ...

I assume the doses are in pre-drawn up syringes ? If so then the needle can get blocked as the Norocillin can go a bit gloopy. So it helps to put a new needle on before administering the dose. What gauge needle are you using - a blue top or a green top is usually needed. I use the blue top without any problems, but some people say they need the larger gauge green top.

Did you manage to clean off all the Norocillin from the fur ? It's really important that it is not ingested.

This video may help, it's the Subcutaneous injection technique you need to refer to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X0Ltpi66a4

Yes they are in syringes with blue tops. I wiped her down afterwards. The nurge did show us but we didn't have a try while we were there.

Yes they are in syringes with blue tops. I wiped her down afterwards. The nurge did show us but we didn't have a try while we were there.

If at all possible, ask the vet/surgery to give you a bottle and show you how to draw it up. For an abscess it would have to be given for a while, so it would probably work out cheaper anyway.

It very rarely 'sticks' when you have drawn it up from fresh.

hope you manage to get the abscess under control, regarding petplan I would put a claim in, nothing lost you never know they may pay something out

Thanks all. We are slowly getting the hang of the injections and Fizzgig is looking a lot better so far. Next check up is on Monday :)

Fizzgig has had her stitches out and the wound is looking really good. We will be continuing with the penicillin injections every other day until we see the vet again next Tuesday week. But the vet couldn't see any more build up of puss and said the wound looked granulated which is good. 😃

Fizzgig has had her stitches out and the wound is looking really good. We will be continuing with the penicillin injections every other day until we see the vet again next Tuesday week. But the vet couldn't see any more build up of puss and said the wound looked granulated which is good. 😃

Ah great news :wave:

I was thinking of you this morning at your 'Bank Holiday Working Vet' !

Fizzgig has had her stitches out and the wound is looking really good. We will be continuing with the penicillin injections every other day until we see the vet again next Tuesday week. But the vet couldn't see any more build up of puss and said the wound looked granulated which is good. ��

Sounds as though things are going well so far :)

Update, Fizzgig is looking well and we have a check up next Tuesday. I put the claim in and Petplan have paid it in full! (Minus the excess of course) :D the have stated that " Your pet insurance does not cover the cost of trimming teeth. We have included the cost in your claim settlement because the treatment is connected to the diagnosis. Although we have paid this cost on this claim we will not be able to help you for any future claims for trimming your rabbit's teeth. "

Does this mean that if she needs preventative dental work to avoid more abscesses in the future that the dental wouldn't be covered? 😐

Update, Fizzgig is looking well and we have a check up next Tuesday. I put the claim in and Petplan have paid it in full! (Minus the excess of course) :D the have stated that " Your pet insurance does not cover the cost of trimming teeth. We have included the cost in your claim settlement because the treatment is connected to the diagnosis. Although we have paid this cost on this claim we will not be able to help you for any future claims for trimming your rabbit's teeth. "

Does this mean that if she needs preventative dental work to avoid more abscesses in the future that the dental wouldn't be covered
? ��

I think so yes

I am glad to hear that Fizzgig is doing well at the moment :)

Does this mean that if she needs preventative dental work to avoid more abscesses in the future that the dental wouldn't be covered? 😐

There isn't really any dental work that can guarantee to prevent abscesses recurring. What the Plan means is that you will have to cover the normal cost of a dental yourself (whether with GA or not) for trimming teeth.

This is the norm for Insurance plans :)

Back