• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abscess on face - Vibes and advice please

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
:cry: My bunny Fizzy has an abscess on her cheek. I need some support and advice please.

Early August I found a lump on her face. Vet found a molar spur cutting into her cheek. She was put under, tooth was found to be bad and had to be removed (most of it was removed, but it did break up a bit). The one next to it was also a little wobbly but could not be removed. The vet tried to get something out of the lump but at the time concluded that it was most likely just inflammation and not an abscess. She was sent home with baytril and metacam.

A week later we took her back, Vet agrees lump's not improved but the sore inside the mouth was healing well. She undertook a full investigation, x-rays, which show teeth are not great shape, but okay for now (may develop further root problems in lower jaw at some stage), samples taken to be cultured at the lab, these have so far been negative for bacteria. Abscess, which is what it was, was cleaned out but she bled a lot during surgery. Vet initially tried to keep the wound open but when Fizzy came round she was rather aggro and started the bleeding off again, which wasn't stopping so vet had to put her back under and completely suture her up. She's been on oral baytril and metacam and drops for her eyes which got sore due to the multiple anesthetics.

As feared, this led to the abscess reforming. She then had a further surgery where the vet was able to keep the wound open. We treated with metacam, baytril and flushed the wound twice daily and applied manuka honey. Unfortunately we took her back this morning and she has to go back under because the wound has sealed up and the abscess, though smaller, has returned.

The plan now is to remove the sutures, clean out the wound - trying to open it up from below this time, and up the antibiotics by adding injectible penicillin and a probiotic to protect her gut flora.

She's insured, but we've not put a claim in and I am doubtful that it would be paid given the dental involvement and the cost is escalating with no end in sight. Has anyone here successfully claimed on petplan for this sort of condition? If so do you have any pointers or is it a lost cause?

I don't want to give up on her as she's still young and feisty, but I also don't want to be putting her through more pain and suffering if the outcome is inevitable. :cry::cry::cry: We both work full time and it's been a strain to get her to and from the vet after work and the treatment regime is quite challenging- we are trying to give her the best care we can.

ETA: So she's through the last op now and apparently the abscess was smaller than before, probably about half the size being optimistic.

Does anyone have any experience of dealing with these sorts of abscesses that can provide an objective view on where we are at?

Many thanks

Jo

Last edited:
:cry: My bunny Fizzy has an abscess on her cheek. I need some support and advice please.

Early August I found a lump on her face. Vet found a molar spur cutting into her cheek. She was put under, tooth was found to be bad and had to be removed (most of it was removed, but it did break up a bit). The one next to it was also a little wobbly but could not be removed. The vet tried to get something out of the lump but at the time concluded that it was most likely just inflammation and not an abscess. She was sent home with baytril and metacam.

A week later we took her back, Vet agrees lump's not improved but the sore inside the mouth was healing well. She undertook a full investigation, x-rays, which show teeth are not great shape, but okay for now (may develop further root problems in lower jaw at some stage), samples taken to be cultured at the lab, these have so far been negative for bacteria. Abscess, which is what it was, was cleaned out but she bled a lot during surgery. Vet initially tried to keep the wound open but when Fizzy came round she was rather aggro and started the bleeding off again, which wasn't stopping so vet had to put her back under and completely suture her up. She's been on oral baytril and metacam and drops for her eyes which got sore due to the multiple anesthetics.

As feared, this led to the abscess reforming. She then had a further surgery where the vet was able to keep the wound open. We treated with metacam, baytril and flushed the wound twice daily and applied manuka honey. Unfortunately we took her back this morning and she has to go back under because the wound has sealed up and the abscess, though smaller, has returned.

The plan now is to remove the sutures, clean out the wound - trying to open it up from below this time, and up the antibiotics by adding injectible penicillin and a probiotic to protect her gut flora.

She's insured, but we've not put a claim in and I am doubtful that it would be paid given the dental involvement and the cost is escalating with no end in sight. Has anyone here successfully claimed on petplan for this sort of condition? If so do you have any pointers or is it a lost cause?

I don't want to give up on her as she's still young and feisty, but I also don't want to be putting her through more pain and suffering if the outcome is inevitable. :cry::cry::cry: We both work full time and it's been a strain to get her to and from the vet after work and the treatment regime is quite challenging- we are trying to give her the best care we can.

ETA: So she's through the last op now and apparently the abscess was smaller than before, probably about half the size being optimistic.

Does anyone have any experience of dealing with these sorts of abscesses that can provide an objective view on where we are at?

Many thanks

Jo

Hello Jo, long time no see. I am sorry to hear about Fizzy's abscess. Am I understanding things correctly in that the abscess is in the cheek itself as opposed to the jaw ? So it is not related to the tooth roots in any way ? When the Vet sent swabs off for MC+S testing do you know if the swabs were taken from the abscess wall itself ? The pus can be sterile so if that was sent off it would not provide an accurate result.

As the abscess has apparently reduced in size after treatment it may be that after this op' and with the addition of Depocillin the infection may resolve. It could take several weeks of treatment though.

I assume that opening the abscess from the outside is not an option ?

I am not with Pet Plan so I can't offer any advice on that. But I would submit a claim, they may accept it. Hope that Fizzy will soon be home x

Many thanks

Jo

Hi Jo :wave:

I'm so sorry to hear about Fizzy's abscess. It sounds like you've got a good and thorough vet, and you've nursed and cleaned out abscesses many times.

In my own 20+ years of treating abscesses in my own and rescue rabbits, I have found that Baytril doesn't work. I don't even bother giving it. It's the injectable penicillin that do the job, and thoroughly. Of course there may be instances, especially when the infection is widespread, where the bunny cannot beat it, but on the whole they work well.

I always start with a daily pen injection, and a couple of weeks later go to every other day. I have had to work out the protocol myself as I had the situation where my vet would only prescribe Baytril and I had to find another vet to give me the Penicillin!

Using a probiotic will do no harm, but the rabbit's stomach acid will kill off anything helpful in it. I wouldn't recommend Avipro because of the amount of sugar in it. Bio Lapis is good, but expensive. I have never used a probiotic whilst giving antibiotics.

I would think you can definitely claim this on insurance .. ask your vet and see :D

Please PM me if I can help further and very good luck :wave:

Thanks both. As I understand it, a molar spur was cutting into her cheek Jane. This is the cause we believe. That tooth was removed. I don't think that there was any tooth root involved. It's just in her cheek. She had it sutured open from the outside last time.

Thanks both. As I understand it, a molar spur was cutting into her cheek Jane. This is the cause we believe. That tooth was removed. I don't think that there was any tooth root involved. It's just in her cheek. She had it sutured open from the outside last time.

Well, whilst it's disappointing that it has come back, I do think that with this latest surgery and the addition of Depocillin there is a very good chance that the infection can be eradicated. As I have said, it could require several weeks of abx treatment. Abscesses that are related to infected/elongated tooth roots are more problematic but hopefully Fizzy's abscess is 'just' in her cheek.

Well, whilst it's disappointing that it has come back, I do think that with this latest surgery and the addition of Depocillin there is a very good chance that the infection can be eradicated. As I have said, it could require several weeks of abx treatment. Abscesses that are related to infected/elongated tooth roots are more problematic but hopefully Fizzy's abscess is 'just' in her cheek.

I agree - injected penicillin based antibiotics are usually the ones given for abscesses. They can be given at home and may be anything from daily to twice a week - maybe for months. I had 2 rabbits with major jawbone abscesses. They were dealt with surgically as far as possible, then depocillin type injections at home - and some form of pain relief. Mine were on the antibiotics for the rest of their lives (about 18 months) but the bone was disintegrating from the abscess, although the condition was well controlled until the last day in each case. In soft tissue with no bone infection involved, there is a good chance of a complete recovery over time.

I can't add anything to the abscess side of things.

In terms of pet plan - claim! So long as she's been getting yearly dental checks, and you've carried out any dental work within a year of the vet advising it needs to be done. They should pay.

Petplan as a rule cover dental conditions in rabbits and unless it's a pre-existing (known dental issues before being insured with PP) they'll pay out to your maximum insurance cover (normally £2000)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Really? That sounds very hopeful thanks. She did have a health check including a tooth check not long before this happened.
I used to be one of their advisors so unless they've changed the policy (which I would have gotten an email about) you should be able to claim.
Your vets will be able to help you if you're not sure what to put, but many are done electronically now so you might just need to sign a sheet saying they're allowed to put on the claim for you.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

My Hollie has overgrown tooth roots and she had surgery to have a huge abscess removed last year and has been on Metacam since. She couldn't get the teeth removed without removing about 6 of them, so we left them.

I have also had rabbits in the past with abscesses.

I agree with the others, Baytril is simply a waste of time when it comes to abscesses, it shifts nothing! Penicillin Injections really do work. I generally do once every two days, and have given for as long as 6 weeks one time.

When you are applying the Manuka, are you managing to get it right in the abscess cavity? I use a syringe to put the honey in and it works really well.

Also, re Pet Plan, 100% get your claim in, that is what they are there for. I have claimed for recurring / expensive things in the past and had the claim paid.

Hi there :wave:

I have recent experience of a jaw abscess caused by tooth root problems and Petplan claims :thumb:

My minilop Polar Bear developed a jaw abscess in April this year. He had an op to remove it, and from the x rays taken at the time it wasn't clear whether it was caused by a tooth root or not. However, the abscess had started to return even by the time he had his post-op check up, 4 days later. So he then had CT scans to work out the cause and extent of the problem. It turned out that it WAS a tooth root problem, and he had osteomyelitits in his jaw. So he then had a massive op where part of the bone was removed, and replaced with antiobiotic impregnanted cement, followed by a 6 week course of injectable penicillin (Duphapen).

Petplan were absolutely brilliant, and paid out the maximum he is insured up to without question (£2000), although the whole lot of procedures cost a fair bit more. It might be worth asking your vet if they can process the claims for you because my vets (Medivet Watford) did this ie Medivet sent the claims directly to Petplan, so I didn't pay anything at all until we exceeded £2000 - I just received letters from Petplan stating what they had paid Medivet.

Good luck, and I have everything crossed that the treatment is successful.

Sorry - I also meant to say hang on in there and don't give up!!!!

Polar Bear is only just three so I know just how you feel, but the aggressive treatment of absesses with an op followed by injectable Penicillin seems to work brilliantly.

Rabbit medicine has really moved on recently :)

Hi there :wave:

I have recent experience of a jaw abscess caused by tooth root problems and Petplan claims :thumb:

My minilop Polar Bear developed a jaw abscess in April this year. He had an op to remove it, and from the x rays taken at the time it wasn't clear whether it was caused by a tooth root or not. However, the abscess had started to return even by the time he had his post-op check up, 4 days later. So he then had CT scans to work out the cause and extent of the problem. It turned out that it WAS a tooth root problem, and he had osteomyelitits in his jaw. So he then had a massive op where part of the bone was removed, and replaced with antiobiotic impregnanted cement, followed by a 6 week course of injectable penicillin (Duphapen).

Petplan were absolutely brilliant, and paid out the maximum he is insured up to without question (£2000), although the whole lot of procedures cost a fair bit more. It might be worth asking your vet if they can process the claims for you because my vets (Medivet Watford) did this ie Medivet sent the claims directly to Petplan, so I didn't pay anything at all until we exceeded £2000 - I just received letters from Petplan stating what they had paid Medivet.

Good luck, and I have everything crossed that the treatment is successful.

There's been a bit of 'Medivet-bashing' recently. Great to hear they are still doing a marvellous job for our buns Wendy:)

I always found Pet Plan were good at paying up, even for dental issues where it wasn't for 'routine' burring.

Back