• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm so sorry about Brian. Such a tragic accident.

I'm so sorry to hear about Brain :(

It doesn't seem that choking is all that rare, I've heard other accounts on here about rabbits choking on pellets so for the last year or so I've made sure I'm nearby after I feed the buns their pellets and have told my family what to do when a rabbit is choking as well, just in case it ever does happen.

What do you do when a rabbit is choking? I'm ashamed I don't actually know. I always supervise at feeding time too but wouldn't have a clue if they began to choke. :s

What do you do when a rabbit is choking? I'm ashamed I don't actually know. I always supervise at feeding time too but wouldn't have a clue if they began to choke. :s

Not alot you can do just load them into the carrier and run to the vet praying to god that he makes it..
I have since read you can try to dislodge a blockage with your pinky, but i couldnt have got my hand in his mouth hed have panic'd more..
I also read earlier about the heimlich manouver on buns... HOW on gods green earth you grab your already scared choking rabbit and then squeeze him till he chokes it up i dont know:shock:

If you google bunny heimlich maneuver you should fine some guides on what to do...but it's a last ditch attempt to save them really, but probably worth reading in case you even need it :(

If you google bunny heimlich maneuver you should fine some guides on what to do...but it's a last ditch attempt to save them really, but probably worth reading in case you even need it :(

Ill have a look may be worth even having it as a sticky on the top?

Seeing Brian so scared and in obvious distress i wish i could have done anything to help:cry:
but i didnt want to aimlessly squash him around hoping :oops:

I'm really sorry to read about Brian's passing :cry:

I wonder if it would be a good idea to ask for the x-rays to be send to a rabbit savvy vet from another practice and maybe get a post mortem done by them at the same time if you can bear it (I realise that is not an option for everyone). It might give help to give you some closure and help you come to terms with your sudden loss.

One possibilty that occurs to me that is that the damage to the trachea that was seen on the x-ray may have been related to a congential abnormality or some other pre-existing condition such as an old injury (e.g. bite).

Regarding the use of sedation and xray: The BSAVA Manual of Rabbit Surgery (Meredith A and Flecknall P) says: 'Sedation is preferable for radiography in the rabbit, but if the rabbit has severe respiratory compromise this may not be desirable and a conscious dorsoventral view of the thorax may be all that is obtainable in the first instance'.
I'm sorry if I'm not allowed to reproduce that ^^

With the above in mind I would have expected the vets to have stabilised the rabbit on oxygen therapy first, but I'm not veterinary qualified either. They may well have done this to the best of their abilities, or they may have had good grounds to believe there was an obstructing foreign body and sedation with a view to removing it was the only option.

Again, I'm really sorry for your loss. It must have been terrible to see him in distress xx

there was a brilliant thread on best thing to do when bunny choking on here, that i have printed off
involved cradling the rabbit securrely and gently swinging them (making care not to do it to fast or risking them hitting the ground. This is assuming that the decision not to rush them to the vets has been made (because vets too far/closed etc)

I'm sorry about Brian. I know first hand how awful a bun choking is. One of mine choked on any allen and page pellet a couple of months back. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. There was green liquid pouring from his nose and mouth, he was struggling desperately for breath. Me and my daughter gave first aid to dislodge the pellet which after about 15 awful minutes he seemed to be less agitated and was able to breath more easily. I gave him pain relief and an antibiotic injection and left him quietly with his friends overnight. By some miracle the next morning he was bright as a button and back to near normal. It's a great idea to have knowledge of what to do on the off chance it happens to you. Binky free Brian xx

When my Hugo died, I was told he had choked - I blamed myself as I had given him a carrot pellet and the rather rude nurse at the vets told me 'he choked on whatever you gave him, that's why you should only give rabbits a piece of fruit for a treat' :shock:
However, when I spoke to the vet, she said his airway had been clear & that it may have been a heart attatck, so I still don't know exactly what killed my baby :(
Anyway, I know exactly how you are feeling & I wouldn't wish it on anyone - it is so awful. Sending mega hugs to you xxx

there was a brilliant thread on best thing to do when bunny choking on here, that i have printed off
involved cradling the rabbit securrely and gently swinging them (making care not to do it to fast or risking them hitting the ground. This is assuming that the decision not to rush them to the vets has been made (because vets too far/closed etc)

Could you tell me where to find that thread, I can't find it

Back