• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

♥♥♥English lops ♥♥♥♥

This rabbit supposedly is the rabbit with the longest ears in the world, although I've seen rabbits that's ears come quite close...

You can't seriously say that that first rabbit has the same quality of life as a rabbit without long ears. They have to hinder it. Poor bunny must need to be under constant supervision.

I know they are a pretty rare and disliked breed..but I guess thats why we got him. If no one else was going to properly care for him and his ears we knew we could. It makes him a special bun :)

I don't think it's that they're disliked, it's that they take a lot more effort to look after, and a lot of us are concerned about the health of theses bunnies. Your bun is okay as he has reasonable sized ears - not dripping on the floor! He looks like a happy bunny.

A clearly unhealthy rabbit would not be placed in a show, neither would one with ripped ears.

No, I'm sure it wouldn't. The poor English Lops unsuitable for showing or breeding will be gotten rid of ASAP. No-one's going to put anything other than an extremely preened rabbit into a show.

Apparently they don't have good foot pads or a thick undercoat either. :( Selective breeding :( They were bred as pets in the Victorian age as someone said, so that the ladies of the day could have a pet as an exhibit :evil: Their life expectancy is apparently around 5 years which says something too. I feel pity for these buns and any rescue bun must find it so much harder to find a home. Confirming selective breeding being a bad bad idea. :(

Oh not this debate again!

I do think their ears look worse in pictures where they are flat and pull forward, i do think its cruel to breed them with their ears so long but i have to admit i adore english lops, i like ones that ears are not too long.

They were the first lop rabbit breed to be bred in the 19th century for exhibition purposes (1st fancy rabbit) which resulted in rabbits becoming a household pet rather than just a source of meat. They were then bred with continential giant breeds to produce other breeds we have such as the french lop, flemish giant and holland lop.

I can quite see peoples concerns but i think we need to remember the history of this beautiful breed, its just sad breeders have mutilate them further.

I don't know much about their history, but I doubt one day a long eared lop just appeared from a normal litter.

They occasionally stand on their ears but if you clip and file their claws properly there should be no injuries.

Here is a quick history of the English lop for anyone interested :)

English lops are the oldest exhibition breed, it is the breed that actually started rabbit shows. No-one knows exactly where the first one came from but it is thought they were in China in the 16th centuary. But it was the British that took on the challenge to produce the longest eared rabbit :(

The earliest mention of the lop is in 1822 and they were first shown in the mid 1820's. The first fancy rabbit club was founded in 1840 and it only allowed English lops to be shown. Prizes were awarded only on the basis of ear length and width, and rabbits with an ear length of under 17 inches were not allowed to enter.

In the 1880's they developed some awful methods of "caring" for the lops to try to increase their ear length, including lead weights and hot wax :shock: Also holding young lops on the owners lap in front of the fire and pulling and stretching on the ear:( They were convinced that heat improved ear growth and many rabits were not cleaned out as the heat from the manure was thought to increase ear size.

Because all emphasis was only put on ear size and no regard was given to body strength etc they practically became extinct in 1945.

They were only saved by Meg Brown in the 1960's.

History lesson over :lol:

I have had a few English lops here and detest their ears. Both the ones that were here with the proper length ears continually stood on them and couldn't get around at any speed. Evie had more problems that I have time to list, and it still brings tears to my eyes when I think of her :cry: Many of them were not due specifically to her being an English lop, but caused by being over bred in disgusting conditions. But i am sure the reason that happened was because of the breed she was. She died at the age of 2. More recently we had Marnie who is now living with Sam. She didn't have the proper long ears but looks like Davina's Alexander.

If it wasn't for their ears I would love the breed as they have a beautiful face and fantastic nature. But it breaks my heart to see their long ears and to know they were only ever developed so that people could win prizes :(

Here is a quick history of the English lop for anyone interested :)

English lops are the oldest exhibition breed, it is the breed that actually started rabbit shows. No-one knows exactly where the first one came from but it is thought they were in China in the 16th centuary. But it was the British that took on the challenge to produce the longest eared rabbit :(

The earliest mention of the lop is in 1822 and they were first shown in the mid 1820's. The first fancy rabbit club was founded in 1840 and it only allowed English lops to be shown. Prizes were awarded only on the basis of ear length and width, and rabbits with an ear length of under 17 inches were not allowed to enter.

In the 1880's they developed some awful methods of "caring" for the lops to try to increase their ear length, including lead weights and hot wax :shock: Also holding young lops on the owners lap in front of the fire and pulling and stretching on the ear:( They were convinced that heat improved ear growth and many rabits were not cleaned out as the heat from the manure was thought to increase ear size.

Because all emphasis was only put on ear size and no regard was given to body strength etc they practically became extinct in 1945.

They were only saved by Meg Brown in the 1960's.

History lesson over :lol:

I have had a few English lops here and detest their ears. Both the ones that were here with the proper length ears continually stood on them and couldn't get around at any speed. Evie had more problems that I have time to list, and it still brings tears to my eyes when I think of her :cry: Many of them were not due specifically to her being an English lop, but caused by being over bred in disgusting conditions. But i am sure the reason that happened was because of the breed she was. She died at the age of 2. More recently we had Marnie who is now living with Sam. She didn't have the proper long ears but looks like Davina's Alexander.

If it wasn't for their ears I would love the breed as they have a beautiful face and fantastic nature. But it breaks my heart to see their long ears and to know they were only ever developed so that people could win prizes :(

Personally, I love EL's. I had been looking for a girley in rescue for months before I got Marnie off Liz.
For me, it is the shape of their faces that do it, I wouldn't specifically look for a bun with ears as long as that, but if it came to it, I would willingly take it on.
Is it really any different from breeding massive contis who have heart and joint problems, or tiny nethies with dental issues, or even rex's with their hocks? All breeds were created by people, and most of them have their negative aspects. Any physical exaggeration is bound to cause problems.
My aunt had one when I was very small and he was wonderful, I think he is what started me on the breed.
i know Shazza has a couple of GORGEOUS ELs too.
Here are some pics of Marnie-moo, she does have long ears, but in no way do they stop her running and binkying like a fruit loop!

DSC02224.jpg

DSC02233.jpg

Sorry the photos are a bit rubbish, I suck at taking them and she never stays still!

I find that Marnies ears are the most expressive and amusing things, if she is interested in something she kind of sticks them out and she flaps them all over the show....where as Blue (frenciexdwarf) cant move his ears at all. I do worry about her getting problems with them though.

here is cookie our english lops she is wonderful
rabbits018-1.jpg

rabbits021-1.jpg

rabbits017.jpg

and joey she died sad to say
fenchurch02.jpg

fenchurch04.jpg

bbshow038.jpg

english lops are not effected by their ears they still run about and binky etc

I find that Marnies ears are the most expressive and amusing things, if she is interested in something she kind of sticks them out and she flaps them all over the show....where as Blue (frenciexdwarf) cant move his ears at all. I do worry about her getting problems with them though.

I don't have a problem with Marnie's ears, they are only about a third of the size of a normal English lop. If all English lops were breed with ears like that the world would be a better place. I can't imagine she will have many problems with them :)

I agree with your previous post about a lot of other different breeds, I think if most people knew what had gone into developing rexes they would never own one :(

I don't have a problem with Marnie's ears, they are only about a third of the size of a normal English lop. If all English lops were breed with ears like that the world would be a better place. I can't imagine she will have many problems with them :)

I agree with your previous post about a lot of other different breeds, I think if most people knew what had gone into developing rexes they would never own one :(

I worry about everything with them both :oops:

I think it is important for people to know where breeds come from, I think we are all as guilty as each other for having favorite breeds (If that makes sense)

I'd be petrified if she had the 'proper' ears, as she is free range it would be nigh on impossible to keep them safe and stop them snagging on things :?

English Lops aren't suffering though, other lop breeds probably have more problems with the flat faces rather than the English Lop with it's ears

Not the english lop I knew that shredded her own ears - with her BACK feet. Binkying was an impossibility. But that was ok, cos apparently the breeder advised keeping them "contained":roll:

I'm not a fan. I got one in to bond once, & I didn't - I was terrified:roll:

English Lops

My little ratbag Mojo is an English Lop his ears do drag on the ground AND he has stepped on them , once making them bleed, but they are healed and look fine, he is boisterous, mischievous and leaps and jinks about just like any normal eared lop, I THINK he may be a cross, as his ears whilst longer than the standard dwarf lop they are not as long as the pictures of E Lops (pure) I have seen, he certainly behaves just like every other bunny, though I will need to be careful when he goes outdoors in summer that his running surface is not rough.

Back