• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

♥♥♥English lops ♥♥♥♥

Alexander was bought from a garden centre,he has leg deformities and is undoubtedly a breeders reject,he most certainly would not be a show winner .

I can't imagine the breeder being one that breeds for show, two rabbits with very long ears wouldn't produce a rabbit with short ones.

I've seen an E Lop run perfectly normally before, not sure about binkying but I'm sure they could if they wanted to.

Awww that a relief then, I suppose you just have to move them out of the way if they want to dig and forage.

Really:shock: blimey I wonder how they think the one with huge long ears can look better than Alexander, I genuinely think Alexander looks better and the poor other bunny looks a bit out of proportion.

The emphasis on the standard isn't on proportion though, people have preferences, for example I love the way the Belgian Hare looks but others hate them

Awww that a relief then, I suppose you just have to move them out of the way if they want to dig and forage.

If the rabbit did want to dig then I'm sure it would notice if it was clawing into it's own ears. And as for foraging, unless the rabbit had done a very strange turn the ears wouldn't be directly under the mouth.

The emphasis on the standard isn't on proportion though, people have preferences, for example I love the way the Belgian Hare looks but others hate them

Yes I see what your saying but, as I said about the Bulldog at some point surely the 'quality' of life takes precedence over what humans percieve looks nice. I personally look at an animal and if I can see a physical thing which will 'hinder' it worry that it might not be healthy. I am surprised that it's considered a good thing to do and that so many must 'like' the long ears. :? Belgian Hares don't look deformed to me they look like a hare. I didn't think that was a 'normal' healthy rabbit when I saw the picture initially.:oops:

Iv'e seen a english lop binky, it wasn't quite imprressive and made me chuckle but seen a few running around with no tears to the ears.

Yes I see what your saying but, as I said about the Bulldog at some point surely the 'quality' of life takes precedence over what humans percieve looks nice. I personally look at an animal and if I can see a physical thing which will 'hinder' it worry that it might not be healthy. I am surprised that it's considered a good thing to do and that so many must 'like' the long ears. :? Belgian Hares don't look deformed to me they look like a hare. I didn't think that was a 'normal' healthy rabbit when I saw the picture initially.:oops:

If the breeders who are with these rabbits daily thought the ears were badly affecting their quality of life then I'm sure hardly anyone would carry on breeding them. A clearly unhealthy rabbit would not be placed in a show, neither would one with ripped ears.

This rabbit supposedly is the rabbit with the longest ears in the world, although I've seen rabbits that's ears come quite close...

bunny_17.jpg

What a pathetic looking beastie.:( It doesn't even look like a normal rabbit.:(

If the breeders who are with these rabbits daily thought the ears were badly affecting their quality of life then I'm sure hardly anyone would carry on breeding them. A clearly unhealthy rabbit would not be placed in a show, neither would one with ripped ears.

The same way that bulldog breeders have stopped breeding bulldogs.:roll:
*Leaves the thread before she says something that she later regrets.*

The same way that bulldog breeders have stopped breeding bulldogs.:roll:
*Leaves the thread before she says something that she later regrets.*

Please excuse me as I don't know much about dogs, but what's wrong with bulldogs? is it the breathing?

I'll be leaving the thread too now, goodnight bunny people

Please excuse me as I don't know much about dogs, but what's wrong with bulldogs? is it the breathing?

Yes they have been bred and bred and over the years their faces have sort of become more and more compact and some are born with real difficulties breathing through their nose. I think it may be to do with skeletal problems aswell on the front legs, they are lovely dogs but, now vets are seeing more and more born with real problems, if they are seen by vets of course :(

Those huge ears can't be healthy, they really do take breeding too far sometimes :?

Yes I was shocked, if I found one tomorrow I would take it to the vet to have an ear reduction operation thinking it was deformed. :?
If I hadn't seen this obviously :lol:

Back