• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

♥♥♥English lops ♥♥♥♥

Yes they have been bred and bred and over the years their faces have sort of become more and more compact and some are born with real difficulties breathing through their nose. I think it may be to do with skeletal problems aswell on the front legs, they are lovely dogs but, now vets are seeing more and more born with real problems, if they are seen by vets of course :(

Most bulldogs can't mate without help or it has to be done by AI, as they can't do it naturally.

The list of animals bred by man, who can't live/reproduce without human input is endless- belgium blue cattle, modern breeds of sheep, many breeds of dogs...........

Last edited:
Most bulldogs can't mate without help or it has to be done by AI, as they can't do it naturally.

The list of animals bred by man, who can't live/reproduce without human input is endless- belgium blue cattle, modern breeds of sheep, many breeds of dogs...........

Didn't know that, I wonder if the English Lops breed naturally?

Just thinking about this, it kind of makes you wonder if thats nature way of stopping the breed continuing but, 'human' intervention won't let it die out?

Oh I'm an alpha buck now :lol:

Yeap, they never mate them unsupervised so they are always there to make sure, I will ask them what they do with the ears. I have images of ears in a hair bobble ontop of there heads to keep them out the way :lol:

Just thinking about this, it kind of makes you wonder if thats nature way of stopping the breed continuing but, 'human' intervention won't let it die out?

Yes, many of these breeds wouldn't survive to the next generation without human help- even heavy, modern breeds of turkey are kept going with IA.:shock:
You would probably find natural selection would end up causing the English lop to gradually look more like a short, uppy eared bun.

I'm afraid the English Lop is the ONE breed that I will refuse to ever own...unless his/her ears were in proportion. How anyone can think that it'll have a good life is beyond me. There is no way that they can do proper, normal bunny things without being hindered by their ears.

God forbid anyone keeps one with ears that size outside in weather like this! They'd die of the cold before you can say "blizzard".

It's despicable that anyone thinks that they are normal. I'm sorry...but they're NOT! A well bred French Lop shouldn't have teeth problems. A well bred English Lop shouldn't have ear problems....and yet that is what people strive for! It's like a breeder wanting a F-lop to have teeth problems....why?!

I'm afraid the English Lop is the ONE breed that I will refuse to ever own...unless his/her ears were in proportion. How anyone can think that it'll have a good life is beyond me. There is no way that they can do proper, normal bunny things without being hindered by their ears.

God forbid anyone keeps one with ears that size outside in weather like this! They'd die of the cold before you can say "blizzard".

It's despicable that anyone thinks that they are normal. I'm sorry...but they're NOT! A well bred French Lop shouldn't have teeth problems. A well bred English Lop shouldn't have ear problems....and yet that is what people strive for! It's like a breeder wanting a F-lop to have teeth problems....why?!

I must admit I am struggling to get it, the only thing I can think that has been said is because some obviously think it looks nice :?

I must admit I am struggling to get it, the only thing I can think that has been said is because some obviously think it looks nice :?

In a way I think it's worse than breeding nethies etc. with the flatter faces, as they're breeding specifically for the deformity. They WANT the ears to be ridiculously big. Good breeders want to minimise the risk of deformity, or breed related problems...so in my head no English lop breeders can be "good breeders", unless they breed for smaller ears, like the gorgeous Alexander! :love:.

I just don't get it!!

we rescued a english lop and he hasnt had ear problems yet. (fingers crossed) He goes to the vet often for check ups, because we are always worried with his ears. We clean them every week and he gets around just like our other rabbits. He DEFINITELY binkies and runs around like our other rabbits! Apparently his ears have not gotten in his way for playing..but his ears may not be as long as some but I have seen them get in the way a bit. For instance, drinking water. He can only drink from a bottle, if he has a bowl his ears drop in the water and we dont want to cause them to get an infection. Heres our little guy :love:

110.jpg

108.jpg

116.jpg

I know they are a pretty rare and disliked breed..but I guess thats why we got him. If no one else was going to properly care for him and his ears we knew we could. It makes him a special bun :)

we rescued a english lop and he hasnt had ear problems yet. (fingers crossed) He goes to the vet often for check ups, because we are always worried with his ears. We clean them every week and he gets around just like our other rabbits. He DEFINITELY binkies and runs around like our other rabbits! Apparently his ears have not gotten in his way for playing..but his ears may not be as long as some but I have seen them get in the way a bit. For instance, drinking water. He can only drink from a bottle, if he has a bowl his ears drop in the water and we dont want to cause them to get an infection. Heres our little guy :love:

110.jpg

108.jpg

116.jpg

I know they are a pretty rare and disliked breed..but I guess thats why we got him. If no one else was going to properly care for him and his ears we knew we could. It makes him a special bun :)

:love:Awww his ears don't look like that other ones though, he doesn't look like he would have to many problems to me, I have been talking mainly about the picture earlier in the thread, I thought it was a genetically modified rabbit.

In a way I think it's worse than breeding nethies etc. with the flatter faces, as they're breeding specifically for the deformity. They WANT the ears to be ridiculously big. Good breeders want to minimise the risk of deformity, or breed related problems...so in my head no English lop breeders can be "good breeders", unless they breed for smaller ears, like the gorgeous Alexander! :love:.

I just don't get it!!

It's not about cash then, they don't sell for loads of money or anything?

All breeds of rabbit are unnatural, as halfpenny said, without human intervention bun would revert back to agouti coloured uppy eared buns pretty quickly. French lops are breed to be unnaturally large, which gives them a shorted life expectancy than smaller breeds. This is the whole problem with breeds and standards, they are all unnatural :?

All breeds of rabbit are unnatural, as halfpenny said, without human intervention bun would revert back to agouti coloured uppy eared buns pretty quickly. French lops are breed to be unnaturally large, which gives them a shorted life expectancy than smaller breeds. This is the whole problem with breeds and standards, they are all unnatural :?

:cry:

110.jpg

I know they are a pretty rare and disliked breed..but I guess thats why we got him. If no one else was going to properly care for him and his ears we knew we could. It makes him a special bun :)[/QUOTE]
Aw :love:
Those ears are large but not too large.:)
I think that's why I like them they are the dumbo version of the rabbit world. Feel sorry for them.

Obviously some ears are just ridiculous, Similar to even Spaniels and Bassett hounds have trouble drinking water.

Agree haveing two rabbits that were bred to be upto the standard they have so many more problems then my nans rabbits who are the average mix of anything and everything.

English lops can go for abit it varies, there are def more breeds out there that are more expensive, I'd say there average for rabbit from a breeder. So most families if they choose to buy from one could do easily.

English Lops aren't suffering though, other lop breeds probably have more problems with the flat faces rather than the English Lop with it's ears

Rubbish, I have catagoric first hand proof that they are

I am not getting into this debate AGAIN as I get too upset.

Suffice to say that in my personal opinion it is cruel to perpetuate the breed with such long ears.

Back