• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

♥♥♥English lops ♥♥♥♥

:shock: Why are they allowed to do that ? I would of thought that wasn't very comfortable, I don't really like the look of it either or is that just me?:oops:

I'm not keen on them with huge ears either,I love the bone structure English Lops have ( the head shape) but I do think the huge ears are un-necessary and they do have problems as a result with ear infections and also with scratching /tearing their ears .

I don't know much about their history, but I doubt one day a long eared lop just appeared from a normal litter.

They occasionally stand on their ears but if you clip and file their claws properly there should be no injuries.

I read somewhere about very bizarre methods that were used a very long time ago to make their ears bigger ....something to do with keeping them in hot rooms ...will have to dig around for it ......

:shock: Thats bizarre that they 'show' them it looks deformed to me, not being nasty about the bunny I feel sorry for it but, it looks like a genetic abnormality rather that something nice. I am surprised vets haven't intervened and said it's wrong it must hinder the rabbits ability to function normally as a bunny. How would it binky with those ears?

I've got one ,hes not got the huge ears but hes very handsome

Meet Alexander

SS100840.jpg

Alexander:love::love: How do you get your bunnies to pose:lol:

I read somewhere about very bizarre methods that were used a very long time ago to make their ears bigger ....something to do with keeping them in hot rooms ...will have to dig around for it ......

Alexander's ears are in proportion though so would he win best in show?

It's in the rabbitlopedia, I've never heard of anyone doing it these days though.

Like I said, I'm not keen but a lot of people love the breed for the way it looks and the temperament.

It's not like they can't move because of their ears, they just sometimes get in the way

It's in the rabbitlopedia, I've never heard of anyone doing it these days though.

Like I said, I'm not keen but a lot of people love the breed for the way it looks and the temperament.

Awww but, it's like the bulldog isn't it lots of people love them but, vets are now having to intervene because it's not fair on the animal, they are often suffering because of the breathing difficulties they endure for the look:cry:

Awww but, it's like the bulldog isn't it lots of people love them but, vets are now having to intervene because it's not fair on the animal, they are often suffering because of the breathing difficulties they endure for the look:cry:

English Lops aren't suffering though, other lop breeds probably have more problems with the flat faces rather than the English Lop with it's ears

No ,I'm talking in victorian times or thereabouts,just illustrating that its not down to a natural form as much as an overbred 'deformity'.

Pooka stands on his ears frequently, and he only has normal french lop ears.
I feel so sorry for english lops :(

You couldn't trust other bunnies not to stand on them it is quite cruel really. However Ive always loved those huge ears!

As said previously said the English lop has been around as the first breed of lop since the 19th century.
As long as they don't become the popular kids pet, hopefully the fanciers of this particular bun keep them well looked after and under wraps.

Back