• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chief is breathing noisily again!

Awwww so sweet how Raven has given his treats to Heidi in a way ❤

I understand what you mean about hearing Raven eat. I often sit here watching them and listening to them chewing away. I find it facinating. Mischief will eat through a huge leaf of greens like an electric saw whereas Lillabelle is so dainty nibbling on hers slowly and yet seems to eat nearly as quick as Mr Chief 😂

It must be hard for you right now after living so closely with Raven. I'm so sorry for your loss. And poor Heidi aswell 😔These bunnies get into your heart don't they? ❤🌈
It's so sweet that Heidi loves her pillow and I bet she looks adorable lying on it asleep ❤

Zorro and Amber (is that right?) They sound so funny together. Our buns are always making us laugh and I'm always saying to my OH to look when one of them flops over asleep 😍

Have you got any photos of your buns? I would love to see them. I honestly am so useless these days trying to keep my attention on something and I often forget stuff completely. And I get words around the wrong way and confused and I have to go through my posts checking I haven't written gobble de Gook 🙄

Thank you and I wish the same for all of yours aswell. We are looking into getting Mischief's bloods tested. He is getting into old age as 5 and a half now. I want his bloods checked to make sure he is healthy and if he has any health issues we can treat accordingly. Do you think that is a good idea? Do you know what blood tests we should ask for? Sorry anyone is welcome to reply on here. That

And I don't know how to use this forum very well so I would probably struggle to find these photos myself. If I ever forget to reply for ages then I apologise in advance.

Honestly don't ever apologise or feel that you can't talk about your buns on my posts. I love hearing about them and would love to see photos of them aswell x
Re blood tests, a full blood profile would give some information about liver and kidney function. It might also flag up raised infection markers. Personally I have never had blood tests run just because a Rabbit is 5. I would only have it done if there was a specific reason, such as unexplained weight loss

if a Rabbit developed head tilt or any other vestibular symptoms then a specific blood test to check EC titre levels would provide some useful information as to the likelihood of the symptoms being EC related or Middle ear infection related.

if a Rabbit was on long term medication then it is a good idea to run a full blood profile every 4-6 months. Some meds such as Meloxicam can be very harsh on the kidneys.

Rabbits requiring regular Dentals should also have regular blood profiles run.

Blood tests that need to be sent off to a Vet lab for analysis are not cheap, so spending money on them is best done when they are really needed if finances are tight. Which these days for most people they usually are.

Apologies for any typos, still got morphine induced blurred vision 🙄

Yes, my vet would sedate the bunnies for bloods and take from a neck vein, yet the bloods may not suggest a problem until the blood values are considerably out of range, so we did not do them unless we suspected a specific problem.

I had bunnies much of my adult life. I learned so much more when I joined RU.

Amber is in the first photo,I saw her while picking up supplies after losing a special bunny, and the moment I held her, I knew she was mine.
Zorro, her brother, is in the second photo. He came home with me after being terrorized and covered in bites from another bunny. He is a gentle soul, as is Amber.
Heidi is in the third photo. She is a mini rex. She is 11 now so 10 in the picture, though you are right that she looks much younger. Her fur is extremely soft and very thick.
Raven was gone too soon. He kept his good looks until the end.

I am sorry you have nerve pain. It must be horrendous. It is lovely that your bunnies have your OH to do tne tasks you are unamle to perform. Hugs.

It sounds as if our couples are similar. In love like a romcom until feed time. But we have had them mobbing us more together for food since Chief is much more active. Now he is quite spritely. ALWAYS begging for food! Now they jump on the bed (as we are mostly in here now due to being comfier for me) and together start scrabbling at the bed linen and biting holes in it plus stealing any paper and trying to eat my tablet cover or trying to get in the biscuit tin! They are such rascals and it suddenly gets mad and one of us has to give in and accept that the mafia is here and get their dinner! 😂

Also we find them in the hall by the kitchen waiting together reminding us it is dinner time, usually when we are in the kitchen so they sit by the doorway watching us. As we both know Mischief used to do this every meal time when he was young, we also both know he is the instigator in this as it is also a while since he has run up that very long hallway we have to the kitchen 🤣 My old bun Bonnie used to sit by the fridge waiting 😍😍😍

Yes he is definitely a bigger rabbit. He is very long and is longer tip to toe when they are both sploofing together side by side ❤ He does seem much bigger but it is all fur tbh especially his face. He has big wedges of fur in his cheeks 😍 Yes they can both jump high on to the bed. We had a double mattress for a while and they could both easily jump that. But his binkies are more a little jump and a waggle of his ears, sometimes turning himself 90° but Lillabelle jumps high so you can see 20 cms cleared easily. She is just so graceful aswell and bounds rather than hops when she runs. She thinks she is a gazelle 😍

Phil just told me that one day Mischief flew up on the bed over Phil's legs and landed in the middle of the bed and his ears went 'wooooo!' 🤣🤣 That cracked me up! x
Sorry for the late reply! I've been so exhausted.

Yes, food comes before bunny love. 🤣 Mischief and Lillabelle sound like they have worked out quite a few good ways to tell you it's dinner time! I wouldn't want to know what happens if they don't get it in time. 🤣

That's so cute that they wait by the kichten together to remind you it's dinner time, too, and that Mischief showed Lillabelle how to do that. 😍 Bonnie waiting by the fridge sounds so cute, too. 🥰

Aww, Mischief does look like he has a lot of fluff, especially in his face. 😍 His binkies sound adorable. Lillabelle's binkies are quite high, I'm impressed! And bounding instead of hopping, like a gazelle, aww. 🥰 I wonder if bigger rabbits can jump higher than little rabbits, since they of course have longer legs, but at the same time they're a lot heavier...

Aw, I would've loved to see that! 🤣

Re blood tests, a full blood profile would give some information about liver and kidney function. It might also flag up raised infection markers. Personally I have never had blood tests run just because a Rabbit is 5. I would only have it done if there was a specific reason, such as unexplained weight loss

if a Rabbit developed head tilt or any other vestibular symptoms then a specific blood test to check EC titre levels would provide some useful information as to the likelihood of the symptoms being EC related or Middle ear infection related.

if a Rabbit was on long term medication then it is a good idea to run a full blood profile every 4-6 months. Some meds such as Meloxicam can be very harsh on the kidneys.

Rabbits requiring regular Dentals should also have regular blood profiles run.

Blood tests that need to be sent off to a Vet lab for analysis are not cheap, so spending money on them is best done when they are really needed if finances are tight. Which these days for most people they usually are.

Apologies for any typos, still got morphine induced blurred vision 🙄
Thank you for your post. That has clarified things for me.

We will leave bloods for now as Chief seems in good health right now 😊

It
Yes, my vet would sedate the bunnies for bloods and take from a neck vein, yet the bloods may not suggest a problem until the blood values are considerably out of range, so we did not do them unless we suspected a specific problem.

I had bunnies much of my adult life. I learned so much more when I joined RU.

Amber is in the first photo,I saw her while picking up supplies after losing a special bunny, and the moment I held her, I knew she was mine.
Zorro, her brother, is in the second photo. He came home with me after being terrorized and covered in bites from another bunny. He is a gentle soul, as is Amber.
Heidi is in the third photo. She is a mini rex. She is 11 now so 10 in the picture, though you are right that she looks much younger. Her fur is extremely soft and very thick.
Raven was gone too soon. He kept his good looks until the end.

I am sorry you have nerve pain. It must be horrendous. It is lovely that your bunnies have your OH to do tne tasks you are unamle to perform. Hugs.
It makes sense to only do bloods when there seem to be health problems or questions needing an answer. I don't know how they take bloods at our vets yet.

I am learning so much about rabbits on RU. It does mean we are feeling much closer to them all the time as we understand them more. They are fascinating creatures ❤

Awwww the way you ended up getting Amber and Zorro is sweet. Amber picked you it does seem in a way. And Zorro needed you. So I see why you are called Bunny Momma. Mine is just the start of the email address I used to join on here. My nickname is Tigger or Tigz for short. Because before I got chronic pain I was always bouncy and full of energy 😂

Heidi's fur description is exactly how I would describe Lillabelle's fur. Extremely soft and very thick. It is like a brush rug that is very soft. Different from the french lops we have owned. Perhaps she has some Rex in her too? ❤

Raven is very handsome indeed. And very cute ❤ Little bunnies are so sweet looking.

Ours are very soft and cuddly to touch. Cuddling Chief is like a big fluffy teddy bear that moves. Unfortunately we can not cuddle Lillabelle as she gets scared if we pick her up so we pick her up gently and put her down quickly on the bed so she can feel safe. They are also very powerful rabbits and need my OH to pick them up if needs be to check her bums and I do the bunny stuff like trim nails, do bottom cleaning and anal glands etc. I get the good deal then 😂

My pain usually has 2 bad days to one good day. Today is a good day which means we are all (rabbits included) able to chill out today and the rabbits and I have all had sleep today. Yesterday was a bad day and so made the stress about Lillabelle even worse. We had to keep going to the kitchen last night to talk as stress was building and we didn't want the stress to rub off on them.

But we muddled through somehow and my OH has been brilliant today looking after Lillabelle for food and water and to keep the pads changed. I also have taken a back seat more with Lillabelle than Mischief. Mischief has always been my bunny. He never sits for cuddles with my OH for long and growls at him a lot 😂

So Lillabelle is Phil's bunny as such. He hand feeds her pellets and she is much more relaxed around him. He has a way with her that is very patient and kind. He takes things extremely slowly and she trusts him for that. But of course we both love both buns so much and Lillabelle will let me stroke and feed her aswell which is lovely 😊

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply! I've been so exhausted.

Yes, food comes before bunny love. 🤣 Mischief and Lillabelle sound like they have worked out quite a few good ways to tell you it's dinner time! I wouldn't want to know what happens if they don't get it in time. 🤣

That's so cute that they wait by the kichten together to remind you it's dinner time, too, and that Mischief showed Lillabelle how to do that. 😍 Bonnie waiting by the fridge sounds so cute, too. 🥰

Aww, Mischief does look like he has a lot of fluff, especially in his face. 😍 His binkies sound adorable. Lillabelle's binkies are quite high, I'm impressed! And bounding instead of hopping, like a gazelle, aww. 🥰 I wonder if bigger rabbits can jump higher than little rabbits, since they of course have longer legs, but at the same time they're a lot heavier...
Sorry to hear you are exhausted x
Well could your little bunnies jump up on to the middle of a bed in one leap? Or could they jump on a bed with 2 matresses on it? I guess a rabbit person who owns large and small breeds would know whether either could jump bigger jumps? 😂

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you are exhausted x
Well could your little bunnies jump up on to the middle of a bed in one leap? Or could they jump on a bed with 2 matresses on it? I guess a rabbit person who owns large and small breeds would know whether either could jump bigger jumps? 😂
Thank you.
Well, I asked that question thinking of how Sophie and Casper used to always jump on my bed when we shared a bedroom, but I later remembered that they needed a little step to get on the bed, so I think that answers my question. 🤣

Thank you.
Well, I asked that question thinking of how Sophie and Casper used to always jump on my bed when we shared a bedroom, but I later remembered that they needed a little step to get on the bed, so I think that answers my question. 🤣
Awww how cute. We did have a step there after my last bun Bonnie struggled to get up on the bed later on and the step helped her. Mischief used to jump on to the bottom step of my side table which has no back and then jump on my bed. He was very ingenious very young and also jumped so high! 😂 He jumped on my shoulder the week we got him and just sat up there! ❤

We have a big portable oil heater we can put where we need to. He jumped on top of that when he was small and that is pretty high. Luckily it was not on at the time! He jumped in my bin all the time 😂

Lillabelle however just flew up on our bed from the day we let her out in our bedroom. So about 10-11 weeks I guess. She jumps higher than my other stockier french lops I have owned. She is fast aswell but Chief is not far behind her and sometimes catches her for an instance but she can move too deftly for him.

I bet your buns look really cute hopping about though too. I love buns of all shapes and sizes. And I bet they could have both given my buns a run for their money too when young and much faster and harder to catch than mine. As they get older buns do slow down though ❤

Aw, young Mischief must've been very athletic! He must've looked like a parrot sitting on your shoulder! 😍 I'm glad the oil heater wasn't on when he jumped on it! That's so funny that he'd jump in the bin all the time. 🤣

Aww, but Lillabelle is even more athletic. It must be so fun seeing such a big bunny speeding and jumping around. 🥰

Casper used to be really fast, but Sophie not so much. She's not really built for speed. 😁 Casper is still pretty fast when he gets the zoomies these days, but not compared to when he was younger. You're right that they've slowed down. ❤️

Lillabelle must have looked like a missile going toward you at top speed when she flew onto the bed at warp speed! Mischief chasing her must have been cute. Did they ever collide? With furry feet, hopping on some flooring is like driving on ice.
😊

Aw, young Mischief must've been very athletic! He must've looked like a parrot sitting on your shoulder! 😍 I'm glad the oil heater wasn't on when he jumped on it! That's so funny that he'd jump in the bin all the time. 🤣

Aww, but Lillabelle is even more athletic. It must be so fun seeing such a big bunny speeding and jumping around. 🥰

Casper used to be really fast, but Sophie not so much. She's not really built for speed. 😁 Casper is still pretty fast when he gets the zoomies these days, but not compared to when he was younger. You're right that they've slowed down. ❤️
He was athletic then but not so much now although he does have some speedy moments where he runs and does a half binky 😍

Yes it is amazing to watch her. She almost bounds around rather than hops. She is a powerful bunny.

I get that. Mischief is the same. He is a big bunny now but I think he may get quicker as he loses weight. Doesn't Sophie have arthritis now or have I got that wrong? My memory is atrocious now. If she has arthritis it would hurt her to run surely? ❤

Yes Mischief wss fast as a young bunny but he has slowed down. He used to be so fast running under the bed he would shock us. Lillabelle still shocks us with her speed. But I think little bunnies could still be quicker when they do their zoomies and change angles quicker too. I think Lillabelle may struggle if she chased them as would be too big to dart about like they do. I think Casper could have been faster when he was young.

They are all so entertaining to watch. I would love to see little bunnies running about together. It would be so adorable to watch 🥰

Lillabelle must have looked like a missile going toward you at top speed when she flew onto the bed at warp speed! Mischief chasing her must have been cute. Did they ever collide? With furry feet, hopping on some flooring is like driving on ice.
😊
Yes sometimes she lands like a mini tornado slipping onto the bed 😂

Yes it is funny to watch Chief chasing her as she is so much faster than him usually and can easily out run him but if he cuts a corner off the room he nearly catches her but she deftly still moves out the way. Chief is more like a tank when he runs 🥰

Our bedroom is carpet but we have sheets around and they slip around on them sometimes 😂

Mischief won't go on slippery floors so Lillabelle would run into the lounge or kitchen which have slippery floors to out run him. When Mischief goes onto slippery floors his feet as so furry that he slips about losing his balance as his feet slide everywhere until he gets to a side of the floor and kind of grips to the wall until I rescue him and take him back on to carpet again. He hates that and I can see why. But it is kind of funny to watch 😂

Lillabelle and my other bunnies hop about without any problems. I used to love my past bun Bonnie when she hopped around on my lounge floor as a kit. She used to make this really cute sound hopping about on the wooden floor ❤

It is so cute that Chief will chase Lillabelle onto the slippery floor and then he becomes stranded until you rescued him! He must have very fuzzy feet! Lillabelle skidding on the bed as she landed must make your heart skip a beat!

When I had ceramic tile in my kitchen, my bunnies never walked more than a few steps on the tile. My bridge bunny, Amigo, was very old when he decided to venture on the tile to meet the new girl, Maddie, my late lionhead who at the time lived in a large pen in my kitchen. He visited her until his final day.

Back