• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chief is breathing noisily again!

How could I have missed your photos of your two beautiful bunnies ? They are both so lovely and look very happy 😊❀️
Thank you. Yes they are always happy when we put their meadow hay with rose and plantain in twice a day. They love it. They both really love plantain so probably why πŸ˜ŠπŸ’™πŸ’œ

We should! 🀣

I'm glad he's stopped sneezing. Dried herbs can have lots of tiny bits, yes, so sieving sounds like a really great idea!

Aww, your Max was a piggy, too, like Mischief. That's so funny that Mischief goes around tipping up their food bowls to see if there's something in there. Sounds like he was rewarded with some of Lillabelle's greens! 😁 That's too bad that Lillabelle isn't liking them right now. What kind of greens are they? I think it's mostly kale and stuff that does well in winter?

Well, I did say 'maybe'. 🀣 She often chases Casper away when there's food, so I think she's probably more like Chief and Lillabelle and has food in her #1 spot. 🀣

Those photos of them are so cute! Aww, look at Chief and his hay mountain. Lillabelle does look very dainty compared to Mischief! They're both very adorable. 😍
Yes he is so funny. He also puts a paw out to pull a bowl nearer. He has really little white front paws for his size so looks very cute πŸ’™

When I say greens I mean spring greens. I thought they did well in the colder weather? My OH searches all the supermarkets for their greens but all the spring greens have small leaves at the moment. Usually they are lovely big leaves and a darker green.

Our buns have curly kale, cavolo nero and spring greens every day and also spinach (they have a few leaves once a day). Plus we cut bits off our veggies each day. I am on a really strict diet as just found out I have diabetes. So we are eating 5 veggies in a meal! The buns are loving my diet πŸ˜‚

Aw bless Casper being chased away by Sophie πŸ’™ She sounds like our two! We give them a treat again now and they go mad for their fibresticks. Lillabelle stands up begging and Chief doesn't bother begging anymore. Chief kind of scans the area moving his head left to right so his nose can sniff out a possible dropped treat πŸ˜‚ He has super sniff ability for tracking food!

Lillabelle bit my finger the other day as got over excited waiting for a treat and was an accident. But it drew blood and really hurt. Her teeth caught me a bit like paper cuts. Her teeth must be really sharp. Treat time is a bit chaotic sometimes. We try to give them seperately now but it is hard getting them to seperate once they see a treat coming.

They don't argue over food as such. They eat their dried herbs together with no problems actually. It's just a race who gets the goodies first πŸ˜‚

Aw thank you. Yes Lillabelle is not as chunky as Chief. We actually call him Chunk ☺️ His rib cage is much bigger than Lils plus he has a bigger head and back legs. He is a brute force. We Lillabelle is so sleek and athletic. She is so fast and can jump really high when does binkies πŸ’œπŸ’™

How is Mischichef today?
He is doing really well thank you. Since I have sieved their greens he has not sneezed once. And his eyes are looking better plus the fur under his eyes is starting to grow back. Thank you for asking x

How is little Cookie doing now? xx

Reactions: KCG
Yes he is so funny. He also puts a paw out to pull a bowl nearer. He has really little white front paws for his size so looks very cute πŸ’™

When I say greens I mean spring greens. I thought they did well in the colder weather? My OH searches all the supermarkets for their greens but all the spring greens have small leaves at the moment. Usually they are lovely big leaves and a darker green.

Our buns have curly kale, cavolo nero and spring greens every day and also spinach (they have a few leaves once a day). Plus we cut bits off our veggies each day. I am on a really strict diet as just found out I have diabetes. So we are eating 5 veggies in a meal! The buns are loving my diet πŸ˜‚

Aw bless Casper being chased away by Sophie πŸ’™ She sounds like our two! We give them a treat again now and they go mad for their fibresticks. Lillabelle stands up begging and Chief doesn't bother begging anymore. Chief kind of scans the area moving his head left to right so his nose can sniff out a possible dropped treat πŸ˜‚ He has super sniff ability for tracking food!

Lillabelle bit my finger the other day as got over excited waiting for a treat and was an accident. But it drew blood and really hurt. Her teeth caught me a bit like paper cuts. Her teeth must be really sharp. Treat time is a bit chaotic sometimes. We try to give them seperately now but it is hard getting them to seperate once they see a treat coming.

They don't argue over food as such. They eat their dried herbs together with no problems actually. It's just a race who gets the goodies first πŸ˜‚

Aw thank you. Yes Lillabelle is not as chunky as Chief. We actually call him Chunk ☺️ His rib cage is much bigger than Lils plus he has a bigger head and back legs. He is a brute force. We Lillabelle is so sleek and athletic. She is so fast and can jump really high when does binkies πŸ’œπŸ’™
Aww! That does sound so cute. πŸ₯°

Ooh, spring greens! They don't actually sell those here, so I don't really know anything about them, but you'd think spring greens do best in spring...?

Gosh, 5 veggies in a meal! No wonder the bunnies are loving getting the leftovers of all those veggies! 🀣

Don't feel too bad for Casper; he chases Sophie away just as often when there's food. 😁 They love each other, but when there's food, that's suddenly the most important thing on their minds. 🀣 Sounds like Mischief and Lillabelle are the same, but without the arguing, so I'm glad they behave better than Sophie and Casper! Although it does sound like chaos arrives when it's treat time. 😁 How good of Mischief to be so great at sniffing out food. I'm sorry Lillabelle accidentally bit you, though. I know bunny bites can really hurt! They do have such sharp teeth...

Aww, Chunky Chief. πŸ₯° He does seem very solidly built compared to sleek Lillabelle! It must be awesome to see her binky so high!

He is doing really well thank you. Since I have sieved their greens he has not sneezed once. And his eyes are looking better plus the fur under his eyes is starting to grow back. Thank you for asking x

How is little Cookie doing now? xx
I'm so glad to hear that 🩷🩷 Cookie is better now, still not perfect but good, thank you so much for asking Anita😘😘

Like your couple,, my lionhead siblings, Amber and Zorro are evenly matched when it comes to sharing food. They get a few pellets in a small bowl that only fits one bunny face at a time. They usually take turns, though once in a while Zorro pulls the bowl with his paws and after he scoffs down a few extra pellets Amber will try to get it back, Sometimes she is successful though I have seen the bowl flip over scattering the last few pellets.

I am sorry you got a bite. Perhaps you are eating so many vegetables that you smell and taste like a yummy veggie! I am sure it was an accident.

I use these, OK’d by my Vet.

So we got the Beophar ones and they are an ointment like vaseline. I've found it impossible to hold his eyelid up and somehow get these in his eye. Half the time ending on his fur!!πŸ˜‚

So we have now ordered these instead x

Aww! That does sound so cute. πŸ₯°

Ooh, spring greens! They don't actually sell those here, so I don't really know anything about them, but you'd think spring greens do best in spring...?

Gosh, 5 veggies in a meal! No wonder the bunnies are loving getting the leftovers of all those veggies! 🀣

Don't feel too bad for Casper; he chases Sophie away just as often when there's food. 😁 They love each other, but when there's food, that's suddenly the most important thing on their minds. 🀣 Sounds like Mischief and Lillabelle are the same, but without the arguing, so I'm glad they behave better than Sophie and Casper! Although it does sound like chaos arrives when it's treat time. 😁 How good of Mischief to be so great at sniffing out food. I'm sorry Lillabelle accidentally bit you, though. I know bunny bites can really hurt! They do have such sharp teeth...

Aww, Chunky Chief. πŸ₯° He does seem very solidly built compared to sleek Lillabelle! It must be awesome to see her binky so

It sounds as if our couples are similar. In love like a romcom until feed time. But we have had them mobbing us more together for food since Chief is much more active. Now he is quite spritely. ALWAYS begging for food! Now they jump on the bed (as we are mostly in here now due to being comfier for me) and together start scrabbling at the bed linen and biting holes in it plus stealing any paper and trying to eat my tablet cover or trying to get in the biscuit tin! They are such rascals and it suddenly gets mad and one of us has to give in and accept that the mafia is here and get their dinner! πŸ˜‚

Also we find them in the hall by the kitchen waiting together reminding us it is dinner time, usually when we are in the kitchen so they sit by the doorway watching us. As we both know Mischief used to do this every meal time when he was young, we also both know he is the instigator in this as it is also a while since he has run up that very long hallway we have to the kitchen 🀣 My old bun Bonnie used to sit by the fridge waiting 😍😍😍

Yes he is definitely a bigger rabbit. He is very long and is longer tip to toe when they are both sploofing together side by side ❀ He does seem much bigger but it is all fur tbh especially his face. He has big wedges of fur in his cheeks 😍 Yes they can both jump high on to the bed. We had a double mattress for a while and they could both easily jump that. But his binkies are more a little jump and a waggle of his ears, sometimes turning himself 90° but Lillabelle jumps high so you can see 20 cms cleared easily. She is just so graceful aswell and bounds rather than hops when she runs. She thinks she is a gazelle 😍

Phil just told me that one day Mischief flew up on the bed over Phil's legs and landed in the middle of the bed and his ears went 'wooooo!' 🀣🀣 That cracked me up! x

Like your couple,, my lionhead siblings, Amber and Zorro are evenly matched when it comes to sharing food. They get a few pellets in a small bowl that only fits one bunny face at a time. They usually take turns, though once in a while Zorro pulls the bowl with his paws and after he scoffs down a few extra pellets Amber will try to get it back, Sometimes she is successful though I have seen the bowl flip over scattering the last few pellets.

I am sorry you got a bite. Perhaps you are eating so many vegetables that you smell and taste like a yummy veggie! I am sure it was an accident.
Awwww that's adorable. I love that the bowl is only big enough for one at a time 😍 That wouldn't happen with my two though. Mischief would take over the bowl (greedily stuffing a few Science Selective pellets in his mouth) and hoarding it from Lillabelle deftly flipping it around away from her.

He was trying to drag his veggie heavy casserole pyrex bowl through between the cage door and my bedside table the other day. We keep half the cage there all the time so we can attach the bottom half when needed. He was spinning it aswell bashing and crashing it into metal and metal. The noise he makes sometimes!

He is always trying to drag it to where he feels like sleeping afterwards I think. He eats and sleeps all the time! I have never heard anything until hearing him constantly snoring and making little whiney noises like Sweep the puppet. Phil is like 'is he sleeping again? What a lazy git!' πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ He has made these noises since a kit so we guess he is fine?x

Yes she probably thought I was a carrot! πŸ˜‚ Yes my OH is feeding me up on healthy foods! ❀

Last edited:
Awwww that's adorable. I love that the bowl is only big enough for one at a time 😍 That wouldn't happen with my two though. Mischief would take over the bowl (greedily stuffing a few Science Selective pellets in his mouth) and hoarding it from Lillabelle deftly flipping it around away from her.

He was trying to drag his veggie heavy casserole pyrex bowl through between the cage door and my bedside table the other day. We keep half the cage there all the time so we can attach the bottom half when needed. He was spinning it aswell bashing and crashing it into metal and metal. The noise he makes sometimes!

He is always trying to drag it to where he feels like sleeping afterwards I think. He eats and sleeps all the time! I have never heard anything until hearing him constantly snoring and making little whiney noises like Sweep the puppet. Phil is like 'is he sleeping again? What a lazy git!' πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ He has made these noises since a kit so we guess he is fine?x

Yes she probably thought I was a carrot! πŸ˜‚ Yes my OH is feeding me up on healthy foods! ❀
Mischief trying to move his big heavy bowl through a small opening near metal must have been fun to watch; though I can imagine the noise level was deafening!

Now that I lost Raven who lived in our bedroom, I no longer have the shredding and rearranging of the litterbox newspapers to keep me awake; though I also do not have the soothing sounds of him eating and drinking to help me fall sleep. I could tell if he was eating his favorite dandelion greens, hay, or pellets by the sound of the chewing and crunching, and hearing him eat told me he was feeling well.

Heidi lives in the next room, yet she has always been a very quiet bunny. If she stomps it is because my other bunnies started it.
Now that she is in palliative care for aggressive cancer, she gets as many pellets and treats as she wants. We recently gave her berry loop treats she inherited from Raven and she will eat one from our hand, no hesitation. She also started to lick the small throw pillow I used to cushion my leg after my knee surgery, so it is now her pillow. Sometimes she leans her head on it as she sleeps. She does not chew it like she chews her towel.

Last week my lionheads pulled a small hand towel into their pen, then Amber hid under it and the towel was moving around when spouse went downstairs to give them breakfast and do the morning cleaning of their litterbox. I missed the show because I was sleeping.

Sorry I talked so much about my bunnies on your thread.

I hope the new eye drops will be easier to get in Mischief's eye and they will give him some relief.
It is good to read that he is much more active. They both sound like they are quite entertaining waiting for their dinner near the kitchen!
Bunnies can be very entertaining.
Sending vibes yours will continue to feel well for a long, long time.

Last edited:
Awwww so sweet how Raven has given his treats to Heidi in a way ❀

I understand what you mean about hearing Raven eat. I often sit here watching them and listening to them chewing away. I find it facinating. Mischief will eat through a huge leaf of greens like an electric saw whereas Lillabelle is so dainty nibbling on hers slowly and yet seems to eat nearly as quick as Mr Chief πŸ˜‚

It must be hard for you right now after living so closely with Raven. I'm so sorry for your loss. And poor Heidi aswell πŸ˜”These bunnies get into your heart don't they? ❀🌈
It's so sweet that Heidi loves her pillow and I bet she looks adorable lying on it asleep ❀

Zorro and Amber (is that right?) They sound so funny together. Our buns are always making us laugh and I'm always saying to my OH to look when one of them flops over asleep 😍

Have you got any photos of your buns? I would love to see them. I honestly am so useless these days trying to keep my attention on something and I often forget stuff completely. And I get words around the wrong way and confused and I have to go through my posts checking I haven't written gobble de Gook πŸ™„

Thank you and I wish the same for all of yours aswell. We are looking into getting Mischief's bloods tested. He is getting into old age as 5 and a half now. I want his bloods checked to make sure he is healthy and if he has any health issues we can treat accordingly. Do you think that is a good idea? Do you know what blood tests we should ask for? Sorry anyone is welcome to reply on here. That

And I don't know how to use this forum very well so I would probably struggle to find these photos myself. If I ever forget to reply for ages then I apologise in advance.

Honestly don't ever apologise or feel that you can't talk about your buns on my posts. I love hearing about them and would love to see photos of them aswell x

Last edited:
Sorry I cannot help with bloods because vet required GA for most of my tiny bunnies.

I never realized that larger bunnies aged faster than the smaller varieties until I read your posts. Most of mine never looked their age, so I did not think of them as old.

I know how difficult things are when you are disabled or ill, so I hope you can find a way to feel better.

I recently posted photos of mine, so as you requested I will add some here so you do not have to search. Attached are recent photos of Amber and Zorro, and 2023 photos of Heidi and Raven.

Attachments

• koepaiH.jpeg
    koepaiH.jpeg
    277.8 KB · Views: 4
  • rke0fKE.jpeg
    rke0fKE.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 4
  • jGaXeeI.jpeg
    jGaXeeI.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 5
  • ppCUrAh.jpeg
    ppCUrAh.jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Sorry I cannot help with bloods because vet required GA for most of my tiny bunnies.

I never realized that larger bunnies aged faster than the smaller varieties until I read your posts. Most of mine never looked their age, so I did not think of them as old.

I know how difficult things are when you are disabled or ill, so I hope you can find a way to feel better.

I recently posted photos of mine, so as you requested I will add some here so you do not have to search. Attached are recent photos of Amber and Zorro, and 2023 photos of Heidi and Raven.
They are soo pretty ❀️ which one of the black ones is raven ? U told me about him in my thread

Sorry do you mean a general anaesthetic? Sorry I am learning as I go on here πŸ˜„ Do your vets require bloods for that then? I'm a bit confused sorry. Chief has not had his bloods done even though he has had 3 GAs. Lillabelle has not had one yet although that changes on Thursday as she is finally going to be spayed! We have had one thing and another happen meaning we had to cancel her op so many times! (my health usually or money). I am going to start a thread for her this evening (hopefully!).

Yes unfortunately they don't live as long. But my Mum insists my old rabbit Hutch was a giant and he lived to 11 or 12. I am mindful that Chief is getting older now and want to get his bloods checked to see if he has any issues we need to deal with. Another thread I think needed. I am trying to keep his weight down now but think blood tests would be a good idea.

Thank you. Yes just briefly I suffer from nerve pain in my head and body. But it's mostly face pain which is unbearable and I struggle to do anything else when it is bad. And so I can't do much with the buns. My OH does most of it now but I do their feeds including hay (which is the best bit) when I am well enough. I have other health issues but mostly they are problems caused by the amount of different pain meds I need to take. I feel very guilty Lillabelle has not been done yet.

Oh your bunnies are adorable! I showed my OH and the first bun pix made us chuckle. Is that Amber or Zorro? Just to be sure lol. And the next bun looks like they have eye liner on. I love them ❀
I so want lionheads but my OH just says an emphatic 'No!' if I ask πŸ˜‚ We do have enough to contend with as Chief and Mrs Chief do give us enough to think about.

Is Heidi a Rex? She does not look 13! She is beautiful. Her fur is so shiny and looks so lovely that you want to stroke it. I can't tell by the photo if her fur is plush? Is that the word? I am sorry I don't know a lot about Rex rabbits. I haven't even felt their fur to know the difference. I have always had French Lops as house bunnies although I have had normal size/type bunnies aswell when my kids were little. Plus an albino when I was young that I looked after. My mum says he was a giant bun aswell so possibly a New Zealand?

Oh I can see how Raven got into your heart. He is so cute and yet also so handsome! His eyes are beautiful and he again has such a shiny coat ❀🌈

You can tell they are all looked after so well. Have you had bunnies for a long time? x

Last edited:
They are soo pretty ❀️ which one of the black ones is raven ? U told me about him in my thread
Hi πŸ‘‹ Mischief and Lillabelle send nose bumps. I'm sorry I have not read your posts yet. I am slow writing and only ever seem to look after my own threads and not much reading on other people's threads. What is your bunny called? Or bunnies?

Hi πŸ‘‹ Mischief and Lillabelle send nose bumps. I'm sorry I have not read your posts yet. I am slow writing and only ever seem to look after my own threads and not much reading on other people's threads. What is your bunny called? Or bunnies?
I just have one NZ white female 3.5 years old . She is named huchi. Currently undergoing dental issues . Joined this forum just a few days ago and got lots of courage and advices ❀️ huchi sent boops too 🀌🏻

Yes I saw your post. Oh I had a NZ white albino called Hutch when I was a child. He was lovely and lived until 11 or 12 which is good for NZs I believe 😊

Yes everybun here is very helpful and they have a lot of expert advice. I always come on here if I have a question or info needed πŸ˜‰

Back