• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny still off food and hay, drooling and teeth chattering

My bun had her 2nd dental after just 45 days of the 1st one . After the 1st one she immediately started eating hay and grass . But this time she is refusing . She is currently on pallets and softened food 😢. Her teeth growth is really fast and now I am worried not chewing will degrade her teeth more in just a few days

My bun had her 2nd dental after just 45 days of the 1st one . After the 1st one she immediately started eating hay and grass . But this time she is refusing . She is currently on pallets and softened food 😢. Her teeth growth is really fast and now I am worried not chewing will degrade her teeth more in just a few days

Is she receiving regular analgesia ? If she had soft tissue damage to her tongue/cheeks caused by dental spurs these will take a few days to heal. So she could still have a sore mouth until the soft tissue damage heals.

Is she receiving regular analgesia ? If she had soft tissue damage to her tongue/cheeks caused by dental spurs these will take a few days to heal. So she could still have a sore mouth until the soft tissue damage heals.
Yes she is . But this is really getting scary as the teeth went in very bad shape only in 1 month . So she will have to go through regular procedure . I am suspecting she will hardly eat hay or grass if this keeps up as she isn't getting enough time to heal . And there is also the fear of stasis as is currently on pellets and pumpkin oats mixture

Yes she is . But this is really getting scary as the teeth went in very bad shape only in 1 month . So she will have to go through regular procedure . I am suspecting she will hardly eat hay or grass if this keeps up as she isn't getting enough time to heal . And there is also the fear of stasis as is currently on pellets and pumpkin oats mixture

I assume she has malocclusion ?

Is she also on prokinetic medication ?

I assume she has malocclusion ?

Is she also on prokinetic medication ?
She is on gas medicines . Poop output is still good. This time her teeth were shortened more than before so that there can be a good interval between surgeries. Even the vet was surprised to see this much growth so prescribed calcium supplements . I guess nothing to do now except waiting for her to start eating grass again 😓

She is on gas medicines . Poop output is still good. This time her teeth were shortened more than before so that there can be a good interval between surgeries. Even the vet was surprised to see this much growth so prescribed calcium supplements . I guess nothing to do now except waiting for her to start eating grass again 😓

Did the Vet take skull radiographs to assess the tooth roots ?

This link gives details about Rabbit Dentals. You might find it useful to read.

Just in case your bunny is experiencing some fear about starting to eat grass and hay again, perhaps give her some other greens to try to tempt her to eat, such as herbs. It may give her the confidence to try again with grass and hay.

Also it might be worth discussing with your vet about whether she could have a higher dose of pain relief for a short while to get her over this period.

Yes roots were fine . But none of her inside teeth were on same level and 4 spurs were there 😢. She is nibbling on greens . But not comfortable enough to chew for a long time . She doesn't seem to be on pain . Should I continue gas drops once a day for safety. Also she mainly cuts her grass into pieces . Tries to pick them up but fails . She can grab some pieces and that's all she eats . After 4 5 minutes she losses interest

She i
Just in case your bunny is experiencing some fear about starting to eat grass and hay again, perhaps give her some other greens to try to tempt her to eat, such as herbs. It may give her the confidence to try again with grass and hay.

Also it might be worth discussing with your vet about whether she could have a higher dose of pain relief for a short while to get her over this period.
She is eating some cilantro . But doesn't look comfy chewing for a long time . She was on meta cam for last 7 days and doesn't seem to be in any pain . She can't take grass inside her mouth properly after cutting that's the main issue.

Personally I would not give ‘gas drops’

So skull radiographs (X-rays) were taken?

I think that you need to speak with the Vet again as your Rabbit is obviously still experiencing discomfort.

Vet said she may need another dental in 3 months . But she is chewing hay in a little amount . She eats it only if she is hungry 😓 so I have to give her other foods to keep her weight right . I am worried little chewing will bring back her spurs soon and the date will be before 3 months are over

Vet said she may need another dental in 3 months . But she is chewing hay in a little amount . She eats it only if she is hungry 😓 so I have to give her other foods to keep her weight right . I am worried little chewing will bring back her spurs soon and the date will be before 3 months are over
Will she eat Fibafirst? As a dry food, their fibre content is a bit higher than ordinary pellets. I have used them previously to keep weight up on an elderly Doe.

It's good she's eating hay at all! Fingers crossed it continues, but if not, don't worry as some bunnies need dentals really frequently.

Update: Earl still isn’t eating by himself, but is really bright and runs around all over the house. We’re still doing critical care and I have a phone call booked with Jason Burgess on Monday (fingers crossed), which then I think we’ll go from there and make an appointment for Earl to see him. I’m so confused as to why he’s still not eating, our local vets have prescribed Baytril so he has been on that for 4 days now and there’s not been a huge difference.

Back