• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

****EMERGENCY, Cookie is making weird noises

Maybe you could google the antibiotic name & see what recommended length of treatments could be. How long was Cookie on the syrup?

My Vet recommends a minimum of a 10 day course of antibiotics for. RTIs. My Bunny Roisin recently had that for her RTI which has now resolved. It is usually best to continue treatment for a couple of days after all clinical symptoms resolve. This is to try to ensure no rogue bacteria remain and have a chance to replicate when the antibiotic is stopped.

Today is the 9th day, I plan to use it tomorrow. Best to complete on Day 10.

Syrup name: Bactrim
I share Bactrim picture

https://images.app.goo.gl/EFp8HgmiT8RsvUBJ6

I want to ask one last question. Normally we want to travel, we will take Cookie with us. Do you think Cookie is ready to travel after illness, how long would you wait?

I want to ask one last question. Normally we want to travel, we will take Cookie with us. Do you think Cookie is ready to travel after illness, how long would you wait?

Personally at least a week. Stress can trigger illness and Rabbits find travel stressful.

I would give antibiotic for a few more days unless they are what was causing his gut discomfort. Ten days is minimum as Jane said.

I would give antibiotic for a few more days unless they are what was causing his gut discomfort. Ten days is minimum as Jane said.

Obviously Cookie's x-rays are clear now, normally no symptoms. But while Cookie is sleeping, I sometimes notice small, very small sneezes as if he swallowed air.But he only does it while he sleeps. I'm worried it's related to a lung infection :(

Same as in this video
https://youtube.com/shorts/1pfJ6w1uQeY?feature=share

Last edited:
I hope this gives you peace now. I am so happy for Cookie's recovery and I celebrate with a cup of camomile tea [emoji3] xx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

We finished Cookie's meds yesterday, Day 10. But today morning, when cookie licks me, sometimes I hear a snorting sound like it's stuffy. Could it be that Cookie's nose is stuffy, am I still worried? :|

Sending vibes. If you think he is not fully recovered, if he tolerated antibiotics well, you may want to continue the antibiotics and check with your vet.

Sending vibes. If you think he is not fully recovered, if he tolerated antibiotics well, you may want to continue the antibiotics and check with your vet.

Actually, Jane said it's normal to have a period of sneezing after the illness. I'm so worried, I'll wait a little longer. :roll:
Off I act like a maniac when it comes to cookies :|

I think you are right to watch him very closely after they have been ill. I am the same. Sometimes you may think you are over-worrying but only you know Cookie and can feel when he is not 100%.

I do think it takes a long time though for them to totally recover from a lung infection though. Saying that if you still hear him making noises from his nose then you could always talk to your vet about continuing the antibiotics a little while longer. If nothing else it may give you peace of mind to discuss this with your vet.

I hope he continues to recover well. Sending more vibes for little Cookie! [emoji173][emoji173]

I think you are right to watch him very closely after they have been ill. I am the same. Sometimes you may think you are over-worrying but only you know Cookie and can feel when he is not 100%.

I do think it takes a long time though for them to totally recover from a lung infection though. Saying that if you still hear him making noises from his nose then you could always talk to your vet about continuing the antibiotics a little while longer. If nothing else it may give you peace of mind to discuss this with your vet.

I hope he continues to recover well. Sending more vibes for little Cookie! [emoji173][emoji173]

Oh Anita, frankly the vet is a complete idiot. But I'm going to her because I don't have a chance other than her in Turkey. According to the vet, we should have used the drugs for 7 days. I didn't listen to it and used it for 10 days. But I'm still not comfortable, frankly I thought the treatment would take at least 15 days. But the vet said on the chest x-ray the cookie was fine. But the problem is that the vet didn't understand Cookie's disease the first 2 times I noticed and took it away. The reason why Cookie's upper respiratory tract infection descended to his lungs is again the vet herself. That's why I have zero trust in the vet. Also, they tell me I'm weird because I pay too much attention to the rabbit, they think I'm exaggerating. I also told the vet that Cookie was sneezing, she still says "nothing" like before. Cookie got sick because the vet said that twice in the past. What else can I do, I feel so helpless. Now I'm really thinking of moving to Europe mostly for Cookie. At least my son will get better and proper veterinary care there, even his feeding and toys will be better. I can't even get him a timothy hay here because it's not for sale. :|

Oh Anita, frankly the vet is a complete idiot. But I'm going to her because I don't have a chance other than her in Turkey. According to the vet, we should have used the drugs for 7 days. I didn't listen to it and used it for 10 days. But I'm still not comfortable, frankly I thought the treatment would take at least 15 days. But the vet said on the chest x-ray the cookie was fine. But the problem is that the vet didn't understand Cookie's disease the first 2 times I noticed and took it away. The reason why Cookie's upper respiratory tract infection descended to his lungs is again the vet herself. That's why I have zero trust in the vet. Also, they tell me I'm weird because I pay too much attention to the rabbit, they think I'm exaggerating. I also told the vet that Cookie was sneezing, she still says "nothing" like before. Cookie got sick because the vet said that twice in the past. What else can I do, I feel so helpless. Now I'm really thinking of moving to Europe mostly for Cookie. At least my son will get better and proper veterinary care there, even his feeding and toys will be better. I can't even get him a timothy hay here because it's not for sale. :|
I really feel for you not having acsess to a decent vets. I think you need to obviously still listen to their advice and use them for medicines, tests and scans for Cookie. However you can also use RU for advice aswell and then make decisions in Cookie's best interests.

You obviously care so much for Cookie. I get that about how the vet does not understand why you worry. Frequently I come across people who laugh at my love for my bunnies and call me the 'rabbit woman' and stuff like that.

My step mum said the other day that I have spent over £1000 on vet fees this year so far (with help from kind donations luckily) and that I should consider whether it is financially viable! I lost my **** to be honest. They are worth every penny I own and I would go without until I was hungry if it would save my buns. My step mum has a dog she loves aswell. She just can't understand how I could love my buns as she loves her dog!!

I understand your reasons for wanting to move to Europe. Only you can know what is right for you. But I totally get that you would do all you could for Cookie. I would do the same for mine.

However I also say you are a brilliant mum to him and he has more of everything than most bunnies in the world would ever know. Another bunny would think Cookie lives as a king [emoji178]

Back