• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Large lump on face

Mischief just growled at me when I went to stroke him! I'm feeling really unappreciated right now seeing as I'm wearing myself so thin running around trying to look after them!

How do those who have lots of bunnies cope?? I always wonder how Inspector Morse copes with her menagerie [emoji38] Super hooman!!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I had my girl for 8 years, there was rarely a day I wasn't worrying about her, wouldn't have swapped her for the world though :)

Mischief just growled at me when I went to stroke him! I'm feeling really unappreciated right now seeing as I'm wearing myself so thin running around trying to look after them!

How do those who have lots of bunnies cope?? I always wonder how Inspector Morse copes with her menagerie [emoji38] Super hooman!!

I expect Mischief is feeling stressed and just wants to be left alone. His chin is probably still sore too so he would want to warn you not to touch it.

Lilabelle’s growling is likely to get worse as she reaches puberty, unfortunately.

I've definitely found the girls more growly.

Primrose only growled at hubby though whu h was ridiculous because she was a big soppy Daddy's girl for him and I was the food dispenser [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Sorry not replied. I've had bad tummy upset vomiting all night. I think my falling about/falling asleep episodes were start of this tummy bug bout maybe. I've literally dragged myself out of bed, chucked hay in and changed water and filled up feed. One came out every 2 hours then swap. I didn't sleep when Lillabelle was out in case she got into trouble somehow so struggled to stay awake (just) and when Mischief got let out I crawled back to bed.

Lillabelle was jumping all over me as I lay in bed unable to move and heard her zooming around. But was lovely that she came up to me [emoji3]

Their dog crates din't look as tidy as normal this evening but they had food/water/hay and I've sorted them out tonight with help from OH.

Mischief is now drinking 30 mls of water and apple juice via syringe 3-4 times a day. One in morning before OH leaves for work plus rest in evening as he won't accept it without being held so I can't do it on my own.

I noticed tonight he had a little white gunge in a crease of the shaved fur in his neck (not on the scar itself) which I tried to clean. He really went mad when I did that. And under that the skin looks like it has slightly come off where crease has been left wet. Looks sore! [emoji22]

I have been so careful with his water but it is very difficult with it right under his mouth but I'm almost certain none dripped as I had towel on it. It could be where he had drink out of the bowl?

He has a post op check up tomorrow morning and we were considering doing a video consultation but there is no way we will be able to hold him, hold his head up to show the scar and sore bit and hold the phone. His scar looks good. I don't know whether to take him and put him through another vet visit but think we have no choice. I will ring vets tomorrow and ask them.

I have struggled through a bad 24 hours though and they look none the worse for it really except that Mischief is looking a right mess though I have to say! He has started to moult on his head and it's very extreme with big chunks of fur just falling out randomly. My OH is calling him Scar face! [emoji23]

Poor little thing [emoji175]

I've definitely found the girls more growly.

Primrose only growled at hubby though whu h was ridiculous because she was a big soppy Daddy's girl for him and I was the food dispenser [emoji1787]

Well she has growled at both of us. Tonight she was kicking and clawing at me with all fours taking chunks out of my hand and spitting and growling as I tried to pick her up. We had given up chasing her round and round into her crate and Mischief was thumping to be let out.

It's not easy at the moment. I sometimes think we must be mad. I hope it gets easier when they are bonded and both free roaming. Having them seperated us really awful and I have such guilt trips seeing one of them stuck in a crate.

Mischief does his Hannibal Lector look at us as if to say 'what have I done wrong?' and due to his scar I haven't cuddled him until today. I feel so sorry for him. He really has been through it recently xx

I expect Mischief is feeling stressed and just wants to be left alone. His chin is probably still sore too so he would want to warn you not to touch it.

Lilabelle’s growling is likely to get worse as she reaches puberty, unfortunately.
Yes I think you are right about Mischief. He was very protective of his scar and rightly so. He is definitely more chilled now snuggled up with me today.

Well we want to get her spayed fairly soon. I feel 4 months is so young but may change my mind! [emoji23] xx

I'm picking out some treats to order them online. If anyone has any they recommend please feel free. I'm still too ill to start a whole thread. I want popular ones that they would hopefully both like as want money spent wisely. And tgey need to be healthy. They can be chews, toys, little treats, shared -through-a-bar treats doesn't matter. Any good ideas would be fab please xx

I'm picking out some treats to order them online. If anyone has any they recommend please feel free. I'm still too ill to start a whole thread. I want popular ones that they would hopefully both like as want money spent wisely. And tgey need to be healthy. They can be chews, toys, little treats, shared -through-a-bar treats doesn't matter. Any good ideas would be fab please xx

I don't really have many treats, we have some carrot crunchies or something, they're not healthy though [emoji38]

I guess fenugreek crunchies would be on the slightly healthier range and the science selective sticks and loops.. I've used all these in the past too. I mean I only give a treat once a day, sometimes more if someone doesn't look right and I'm checking.. But it's such a minimal part of their diet I don't worry too much [emoji38]

I feed just a load of hay and apple and pear sticks to eat and strip (these are fresh though, mine won't eat store bought ones, not sure why) and Apricot gets some dill and I pull weeds in the garden for her (not a huge range because I suck at foraging, although I'm trying to get better [emoji38])

I wouldn't go overboard on the treats tbh, it's money you don't need to spend imo!

If lilabelle doesn’t like being picked up, maybe you could tempt her into the carrier or crate with pellets or a treat? Easier than fighting to pick her up I think. I used to feed pellet ration to my quad in a carrier every day so they would go in. Made vets visits slightly easier!

Have they tried fibafirst sticks? I steered clear of fenugreek crunchies after they were linked on here to stasis episodes and excess caecotrophes

Last edited:
I quite like the meadow loops from Science Select and then dried forage really.

It is so stressful having them separated and so much extra work.

I would work on training Lillabelle to come in by herself with a treat or her veggies. We've trained ours to respond to Bedtime plus a click of fingers.

It isn't 100% but paired with a treat when they go in has meant we don't need to pick them up as much. We do bum checks etc using a treat to get them to stand up for us although you have to be awfully quick [emoji1787]

If lilabelle doesn’t like being picked up, maybe you could tempt her into the carrier or crate with pellets or a treat? Easier than fighting to pick her up I think. I used to feed pellet ration to my quad in a carrier every day so they would go in. Made vets visits slightly easier!

Have they tried fibafirst sticks? I steered clear of fenugreek crunchies after they were linked on here to stasis episodes and excess caecotrophes
Ah I didnt know that! Don't get those then! [emoji38]

I don't really have many treats, we have some carrot crunchies or something, they're not healthy though [emoji38]

I guess fenugreek crunchies would be on the slightly healthier range and the science selective sticks and loops.. I've used all these in the past too. I mean I only give a treat once a day, sometimes more if someone doesn't look right and I'm checking.. But it's such a minimal part of their diet I don't worry too much [emoji38]

I feed just a load of hay and apple and pear sticks to eat and strip (these are fresh though, mine won't eat store bought ones, not sure why) and Apricot gets some dill and I pull weeds in the garden for her (not a huge range because I suck at foraging, although I'm trying to get better [emoji38])

I wouldn't go overboard on the treats tbh, it's money you don't need to spend imo!
By treats I'm looking at tiny training treats for Lillabelle to encourage her to trust us. She is soooo nervous we can hardly get near her. Not at all the impression the breeder gave us of a 'calm, sweet natured bunny who loves to be picked up and stroked'.

Also really chews to help with their teeth...I'm getting apple sticks and I thought about dandelion root. And then maybe herbs and flowers. I just don't know what are popular with buns.

Someone very kind helped us out with Mischief's op and we have a bit of money for the buns because of it. So I wanted to treat them. It could be toys/ chews anything that buns love. Not necessarily hand treats

When you say apple and pear sticks do you mean from the trees? Sorry if a stupid question! [emoji38] We can't get those naturally so looking at buying online xx

By treats I'm looking at tiny training treats for Lillabelle to encourage her to trust us. She is soooo nervous we can hardly get near her. Not at all the impression the breeder gave us of a 'calm, sweet natured bunny who loves to be picked up and stroked'.

Also really chews to help with their teeth...I'm getting apple sticks and I thought about dandelion root. And then maybe herbs and flowers. I just don't know what are popular with buns.

Someone very kind helped us out with Mischief's op and we have a bit of money for the buns because of it. So I wanted to treat them. It could be toys/ chews anything that buns love. Not necessarily hand treats

When you say apple and pear sticks do you mean from the trees? Sorry if a stupid question! [emoji38] We can't get those naturally so looking at buying online xx

I get mine online too, there's a user on here called fluffers who sells them, if you have a look in the selling section. Only reason I mentioned it is because loads of places sell apple sticks as chews.. And mine have zero interest in them [emoji38] the proper fresh ones however they go mad for! But yes off trees [emoji38]

You've not had her very long at all, I really wouldn't expect her to be okay with that much handling so soon tbh! Some buns don't tolerate that anyway. You can use herbs and veg as treats too, and forage. I'd let her come to you tbh, and offer food and not pick her up.

I've never really found that buns play with toys, with the exception of a tunnel and things to jump on and off of and one of mine likes the natural willow balls.. But only coz he eats them [emoji38] Apricot likes Evelyns stacking cups though she chucks them about [emoji38]

The science selective loops might be a good shout though for feeding treats, there's a few flavours, mine liked them all [emoji38] some say they're for guinea pigs but on the back say they're suitable for buns too, I used to buy all the flavours xx

We are trying to train her to come to crate for a treat. Unfortunately she is so nervous and won't come to us and Mischief also needs to come out. If we could leave her out and spend 3 days on her learning to trust her I'm sure it would work.

We were swapping them every hour but it means as soon as she is let out we are trying to get her back in crate again and is no good for building trust issues. So we have changed it to 2 hourly intervals. It gives her time to get her bearings and she is starting to come over for a sprig of kale or parsley. We use her veggies as treats for now.

We can't do it longer than that as Mischief can't be in his crate longer. That's why we got puppy pen. So he could go in there and she could go in XL but he bites the puppy pen and hurts his mouth. So much for planning ahead!

On that note we also saved lounge for their bonding room but she snuck in there yesterday and ran around. If we put a large rug down with vinyl on top for the puppy pen will that solve problem of her scent do you think? Out other rooms are not practical for bonding as I can't sit in there and watch them for long periods as no space [emoji53]

I got them Fibasticks. She has had one and eaten it very slowly (over a period of a few hours) but Mischief won't touch them. She is not keen enough on them to use them as a training treat xx

Last edited:
I quite like the meadow loops from Science Select and then dried forage really.

It is so stressful having them separated and so much extra work.

I would work on training Lillabelle to come in by herself with a treat or her veggies. We've trained ours to respond to Bedtime plus a click of fingers.

It isn't 100% but paired with a treat when they go in has meant we don't need to pick them up as much. We do bum checks etc using a treat to get them to stand up for us although you have to be awfully quick [emoji1787]

Oh I use click of fingers for Mischief! [emoji3] I trained him with a click and a treat to do meercats and run to me and go in his cage. Now I also use it to tell him feed is in his cage.

I could try the click of fingers and treat with her aswell. I could take her into hallway and shut all the doors and practice training her. That could actually work! [emoji3]

I will try the Meadow loops. Are they like the sticks though? As they are not keen on them xx

Last edited:
Oh I use click of fingers for Mischief! [emoji3] I trained him with a click and a treat to do meercats and run to me and go in his cage. Now I also use it to tell him feed is in his cage.

I could try the click of fingers and treat with her aswell. I could take her into hallway and shut all the doors and practice training her. That could actually work! [emoji3]

I will try the Meadow loops. Are they like the sticks though? As they are not keen on them xx

Most buns don't like fibrefirst ime, they can learn to eat them tho [emoji38] the loops and sticks in the other range aren't the same and all mine like them if that helps [emoji38]

I get mine online too, there's a user on here called fluffers who sells them, if you have a look in the selling section. Only reason I mentioned it is because loads of places sell apple sticks as chews.. And mine have zero interest in them [emoji38] the proper fresh ones however they go mad for! But yes off trees [emoji38]

You've not had her very long at all, I really wouldn't expect her to be okay with that much handling so soon tbh! Some buns don't tolerate that anyway. You can use herbs and veg as treats too, and forage. I'd let her come to you tbh, and offer food and not pick her up.

I've never really found that buns play with toys, with the exception of a tunnel and things to jump on and off of and one of mine likes the natural willow balls.. But only coz he eats them [emoji38] Apricot likes Evelyns stacking cups though she chucks them about [emoji38]

The science selective loops might be a good shout though for feeding treats, there's a few flavours, mine liked them all [emoji38] some say they're for guinea pigs but on the back say they're suitable for buns too, I used to buy all the flavours xx
I will defo check out Fluffers then and get some Science Selective loops.

I will also try bits of apple/pear etc but I don't want to mess her diet up too much too soon.

You are right. We have only had her a week bless her. Mischief was so different from her and loved cuddles from the start but all buns are different.

I'm hoping it will be easier when they are able to free roam together but I'm also worried she will bond so close to Mischief that we can't get close to her. It worries me if she can't be handled.

They are big buns and if they don't want to be handled you don't stand a chance! Mischief being so trusting has taken time. We have had some fights with him in past trying to get meds in or clean his butt. When he was ill though it really helped.

Will we still be able to work on bonding with her when she is bonded to Mr C? I'm thinking she won't want to leave him. Scuse my ignorance but I've not had bonded buns before and have no idea what it will be like. I have visions of her always being wild with us [emoji22]

I just want to train her without upsetting her or Mischief being stuck in his cage. Actually maybe I could take her in another room when he is out free roaming and spend time with her! Doh Lightbulb! [emoji38] xx

Most buns don't like fibrefirst ime, they can learn to eat them tho [emoji38] the loops and sticks in the other range aren't the same and all mine like them if that helps [emoji38]
Oh great I will order some then of different flavours. Hopefully one of them will eat them at least xx

We are trying to train her to come to crate for a treat. Unfortunately she is so nervous and won't come to us and Mischief also needs to come out. If we could leave her out and spend 3 days on her learning to trust her I'm sure it would work.

We were swapping them every hour but it means as soon as she is let out we are trying to get her back in crate again and is no good for building trust issues. So we have changed it to 2 hourly intervals. It gives her time to get her bearings and she is starting to come over for a sprig of kale or parsley. We use her veggies as treats for now.

We can't do it longer than that as Mischief can't be in his crate longer. That's why we got puppy pen. So he could go in there and she could go in XL but he bites the puppy pen and hurts his mouth. So much for planning ahead!

On that note we also saved lounge for their bonding room but she snuck in there yesterday and ran around. If we put a large rug down with vinyl on top for the puppy pen will that solve problem of her scent do you think? Out other rooms are not practical for bonding as I can't sit in there and watch them for long periods as no space [emoji53]

I got them Fibasticks. She has had one and eaten it very slowly (over a period of a few hours) but Mischief won't touch them. She is not keen enough on them to use them as a training treat xx

It takes a lot of time to establish trust with rabbits for the first time. It took 1 month for Cookie to get used to and trust me with. I played with him only in his room for 1 month. And he just learned not to be afraid of me. But it took months for Cookie to totally love me, lick me, sleep with me. Really patience, treats, slow motion and touches are very important. It is also very important to communicate with her by constantly sitting on the floor. And don't always take care of her while she's sitting on the floor, after a while she will wonder and come to you herself. You can keep small prizes with you at those moments. And never hold her unless you have to, it scares her even more.

Back