• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pepper at vets again :(

So happy to read that Pepper is doing well.

Vet bill has frightened me though! Think I need to start saving money for future [emoji6]

Sending more vibes that Pepoer continues to get better xx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

How's Pepper today?

Sending vibes for a continued recovery x

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

How are you and Pepper getting on Mike ?

hiya,
still much of a muchness, not bad but not as good as i'd hoped. he seems ok in himself and is nibbling stuff but not eating as much as i'd like by any means. minimal poops.
he's struggling more & more at meds time. bit me last night :lol: a bit more than a warning nip but didn't draw blood. it was the Empremid and i didn't manage to get much (if anything) into him. it's Loxicon & Baytril this morning, i hope i have a bit more success.
i would feel a lot more optimistic if he was eating & pooping more, it's 5 days since the op. i'm in the office again today but that's the last day this week so i'll be able to monitor him a bit more closely after today. hoping to successfully get the meds into him this morning & i'll be able to assess his feistiness.

thank you for asking :)

hiya,
still much of a muchness, not bad but not as good as i'd hoped. he seems ok in himself and is nibbling stuff but not eating as much as i'd like by any means. minimal poops.
he's struggling more & more at meds time. bit me last night :lol: a bit more than a warning nip but didn't draw blood. it was the Empremid and i didn't manage to get much (if anything) into him. it's Loxicon & Baytril this morning, i hope i have a bit more success.
i would feel a lot more optimistic if he was eating & pooping more, it's 5 days since the op. i'm in the office again today but that's the last day this week so i'll be able to monitor him a bit more closely after today. hoping to successfully get the meds into him this morning & i'll be able to assess his feistiness.

thank you for asking :)

Good luck with meds, hope he continues to improve Mike xx

I dont know if it would help but I put meds on a quarter of brown toast. My 2 get a tiny bit of toast each morning and so dont seem to notice meds?

Sorry to read that your having meds issues with poor pepper. It might be an idea to maybe give the vet a ring when you get home tonight. Ask if perhaps you need to increase pain meds if he’s on them?
Hope pepper settles soon mike. It’s really hard when a bun has had major surgery and they don’t always understand that what you are doing is trying to make them better. Xx

I feel awful that I missed this thread until you posted Tulip going in at night without Pepper. He is one of my favorites so I am glad he is slowly improving and sending vibes he will soon make a full recovery.
I hope he is giving warning bites because he is improving .
Sending you both positive vibes.

My guys object to Emeprid terribly, I suspect the taste isn't great.

Would he take it mixed into some of the baby food to mask it, but also it's thicker which in my experience seems a bit easier to get into them.

Is he still having top ups of critical care food?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

It's a nightmare when they fight to take the meds. It's one of the times I wished I lived with someone and had another pair of hands to help.

I hope Pepper has a good day and is easier to medicate this evening.

I always think this is the hardest stage of nursing a bunny. They're still poorly enough to need supportive care but are well enough to give you a hard time about it.

I agree with Craig about checking whether his pain med dosage needs to be reviewed. More often than not I've found that adequate pain relief is the key to recovery.

Eversince Brko had 5 different meds and 2 were yucky...I was thankfull he is easy to handle bun and not Sherlock who is "Hands of me!" kind of rabbit. Best of luck to Pepper.

thank you.

not sure what to think. still minimal eating & poops. just when i think it's time to call the vet he nibbles a bit of food.
he seems fairly well 'in himself'.
i don't think he deteriorating at all, just not improving any more over the last 2 or 3 days. i think i will just monitor him closely today - unless anyone has any advice on the situation.
op was 6 days ago now.

it's meds time now and i have a feeling this is going to be a problem. i've been doing the burrito on lap method but i think i might try the 'sitting on him' method this time. it's just his mouth is so teeny, looking from above it's hard to find the right place to put the syringe into his mouth. might see if i can burrito him with him on the sofa with me crouching down in front of him.

was shocked to work out his age yesterday - he's only coming up to his 3rd birthday. around 2 years 10 months old.
as this problem seems to crop up once or twice a year I have a feeling one day he might not survive it.
i wish i knew what is going on. severe 'hard' bloated stomach each time with stasis. not sure if the stasis is a result of the bloating or if the bloating is a result of the stasis or both together at the same time.
does anyone have any advice or ideas?

Last edited:
Back