• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

What a good (aka sensible) boy he is now :love: (oops sorry Maple :oops:) He's even coping with the spines on the Hawthorn OK :lol: I would have put money on you snipping them all off :lol:

OH told me something interesting about spines. I had thought that they didn't appear quite so much on new shoots. He said that they are an evolutionary reaction to browsing animals to deter the browsing. That bit I could have worked out. However, he said that the reaction is "switched on" more often , in the plant's dna the more the tree or hedge is pruned, as the plant sees this as more browsing. So theoretically if you find some Hawthorn that has never been touched, by animal or secateur, it should have fewer spines :)

This is interesting. I've found a few trees with practically no thorns. They will have next year though

What a good (aka sensible) boy he is now :love: (oops sorry Maple :oops:) He's even coping with the spines on the Hawthorn OK [emoji38] I would have put money on you snipping them all off [emoji38]

OH told me something interesting about spines. I had thought that they didn't appear quite so much on new shoots. He said that they are an evolutionary reaction to browsing animals to deter the browsing. That bit I could have worked out. However, he said that the reaction is "switched on" more often , in the plant's dna the more the tree or hedge is pruned, as the plant sees this as more browsing. So theoretically if you find some Hawthorn that has never been touched, by animal or secateur, it should have fewer spines :)
Would you believe me if I said I rinsed and inspected every single leaf. Any dodgy lookin leafs are discarded and all spikes snipped off. I was at the kitchen sink 2 and a half hours last night. Heaven forbid if Dennis ate a spider or something!

I like to get a branch of Hawthorn and spin it in front of them so they get all the leafs. We call this " The hawthorn rotisserie grill"

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Sorry about your car Loobers & you missing the march. Good you had a productive & fun foraging day

Can't believe we have sunshine today & I'm stuck at supermarket for 10 hours :( Had a little forage this morning for mine to keep them settled in my absence

Mus8ISLl.jpg
[/IMG]
I can't figure out what these noms are

We had a lovely time and the café was awesome and portions huge - although I managed to nom my way through mine. Loobers and her OH kindly paid for mine too.

We went for a walk by some lakes I didn't even know existed. Loobers had come prepared with bags and cutters and I ended up with a big bag of forage. I admired her doormat (with a bunny on), which came from the Range so I went there on the way home and I am now the proud owner of a bunny doormat too :love:

I also got to stroke the King of the Sploofs - Toby himself :love: :)

My buns were tucking into their forage noms when I came in. They had a carrot too but both went to the forage first.

Huge thanks to Loobers and her OH for sharing their Friday with me.
What was a good hit with the forage??

FAO: Omi

Please do not call me Maple. She has a big meat head and I have a willy.

Toby x
c0561203453a247e82dfd32ac028f7a3.jpg

Oi Toby don't be calling me a meat head or i will tell everybun how time and again I've knocked you out mate.
a9470c3d2ee8c5ea1c86992df1dce08f.jpg

I too snip the thorns off hawthorn partly because I impailed myself standing on some and after extracting it do not wish the same for the bunnies! (Although they weigh a little less[emoji23]) I do panic a bit if the branches do not contain thorns- they reassure me it really is hawthorn. They vary alot in leaf size and shape and thorniness.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I am such a bad bunny Mummy - I gave the buns the forage with the thorns still present. They liked the dandelion leaves and the plantain best I think, although some of the hawthorn - and spikes - have been nommed too. In my defence, I have been to work today.

FAO: Omi

Please do not call me Maple. She has a big meat head and I have a willy.

Toby x
c0561203453a247e82dfd32ac028f7a3.jpg

Oh, Toby, I didn't see this yesterday. I'm so sorry I apologised to Maple, but of course it is you I should have said sorry to :shock: I will try hard not to make the same mistake again. I hope I am forgiven :)

So weather dependent I am going on a proper forage for the first time and my husband is actually willingly coming along! :D

I've just scanned through this entire thread :lol: but any tips for a beginner?

Edit: Decided to go for an impromptu windy, rainy walk around the local area. Discovered that not only do I need new wellies :roll: but also that our local park has enormous amounts of forage around the edge of it (we've only lived here a year!)

Got some large dandelion leaves and four others.

This one I'm pretty certain is bramble leaves?! As it was near the blackberries :lol:

IMG_4045.jpg

This one I think is raspberry leaves as it was near the raspberries but I'm not 100%.

IMG_4046.jpg

Then these two I'm not sure what they are and if they are bunny safe so want to confirm:

IMG_4047.jpg

Is this an oak leaf?! That was my first thought but it wasn't growing on a tree, it was growing in a bush. I'm not good at this :lol:

IMG_4048.jpg

Last edited:
So weather dependent I am going on a proper forage for the first time and my husband is actually willingly coming along! :D

I've just scanned through this entire thread :lol: but any tips for a beginner?

Edit: Decided to go for an impromptu windy, rainy walk around the local area. Discovered that not only do I need new wellies :roll: but also that our local park has enormous amounts of forage around the edge of it (we've only lived here a year!)

Got some large dandelion leaves and four others.

This one I'm pretty certain is bramble leaves?! As it was near the blackberries :lol:

IMG_4045.jpg

This one I think is raspberry leaves as it was near the raspberries but I'm not 100%.

IMG_4046.jpg

Then these two I'm not sure what they are and if they are bunny safe so want to confirm:

IMG_4047.jpg

Is this an oak leaf?! That was my first thought but it wasn't growing on a tree, it was growing in a bush. I'm not good at this :lol:

IMG_4048.jpg

Well the only one I'm 100% sure about is No 3, which is Ribwort Plantain and is definitely safe for rabbits.

No 1, might be Bramble, but I'm not sure. There should be a stalk coming out from the stem with 3 leaves. Above all it should be very prickly and I can't see prickles from your pic. Is it prickly?

No2 I don't *think* is Raspberry. Raspberry leaves are very similar to Bramble.

No 4 I would have said it looks like Oak leaves (not safe for rabbits), but that doesn't look like an acorn.

For the first few times you go out I would do pretty much what you've done today i.e. pick plants that you are sure of and also a couple that are new to you. Yes, parks generally have a weedy area around the edges that's good for forage.

The Plantain is definitely worth getting to know, as it's usually very popular and is also full of fibre for rabbits' tummies:)

Let us know whether Phillip approves.

Well the only one I'm 100% sure about is No 3, which is Ribwort Plantain and is definitely safe for rabbits.

No 1, might be Bramble, but I'm not sure. There should be a stalk coming out from the stem with 3 leaves. Above all it should be very prickly and I can't see prickles from your pic. Is it prickly?

No2 I don't *think* is Raspberry. Raspberry leaves are very similar to Bramble.

No 4 I would have said it looks like Oak leaves (not safe for rabbits), but that doesn't look like an acorn.

For the first few times you go out I would do pretty much what you've done today i.e. pick plants that you are sure of and also a couple that are new to you. Yes, parks generally have a weedy area around the edges that's good for forage.

The Plantain is definitely worth getting to know, as it's usually very popular and is also full of fibre for rabbits' tummies:)

Let us know whether Phillip approves.

Oh I'm so glad that's plantain!! My rabbits love the dried plantain from The Hay Experts so that will save me loads of money if they enjoy this one.

No 4 I'm just going to bin, I only got a bit to check on here if it was anything edible.

No. 1 was very prickly and I stabbed myself multiples times and it was on the same bush as the blackberries...hmm.

I'm glad I went though...felt good to actually have a go! Thanks for your help, Omi :D

I find ID super difficult by photo but I agree with Omi about the plantain & I'd thought acorn too. If I had to guess I'd say the 1st was Raspberry & the second blackthorn but it is a stab in the dark. Raspberry underleaf are silvery white.

Look up some images online for Rowan - really easy to ID right now & my bunnies love it. Herb robert is quite easy too & about right now. I'd steer away from cow parsley until you're confident (I'm still not going there) as its similar to hemloc (poisonous). Look for fruits as a failsafe guide. If you see apples you have an apple tree, if you see blackberries you have brambles. Its a massive advantage in learning to forage at this time of year. Enjoy!

I find ID super difficult by photo but I agree with Omi about the plantain & I'd thought acorn too. If I had to guess I'd say the 1st was Raspberry & the second blackthorn but it is a stab in the dark. Raspberry underleaf are silvery white.

Look up some images online for Rowan - really easy to ID right now & my bunnies love it. Herb robert is quite easy too & about right now. I'd steer away from cow parsley until you're confident (I'm still not going there) as its similar to hemloc (poisonous). Look for fruits as a failsafe guide. If you see apples you have an apple tree, if you see blackberries you have brambles. Its a massive advantage in learning to forage at this time of year. Enjoy!

Brilliant thank you, that is helpful advice. Think I'm going to go out again later, it's quite addictive :lol:

I just tried the rabbits on the plantain and they loved it! Phillip was so excited he did a binky straight afterwards :love:

IMG_4049.jpg

IMG_4054.jpg

What about this one? Just found this in my bag too. It is very spiky and it definitely was on the blackberry bush - is this the bramble?

IMG_4051.jpg

Brilliant thank you, that is helpful advice. Think I'm going to go out again later, it's quite addictive :lol:

I just tried the rabbits on the plantain and they loved it! Phillip was so excited he did a binky straight afterwards :love:

IMG_4049.jpg

IMG_4054.jpg

What about this one? Just found this in my bag too. It is very spiky and it definitely was on the blackberry bush - is this the bramble?

IMG_4051.jpg

it must be bramble if it had blackberries. sounds and looks about right

it must be bramble if it had blackberries. sounds and looks about right

I agree. I would also say that the prickles are a pretty important clue as well.

I love the pics :love: It's so worthwhile when they enjoy it so much. And yes, the cost element is to be considered as well.

I agree. I would also say that the prickles are a pretty important clue as well.

I love the pics :love: It's so worthwhile when they enjoy it so much. And yes, the cost element is to be considered as well.

Well they both nommed it straight away so think it must have been brambles!

It really is. I love seeing them so happy. Plus I’ve just worked out if I can regularly forage and dry it out for winter too, I could save myself £20 a month as they are predominantly on a hay and forage diet at the moment.

How does everyone on here dry their forage out?

Last edited:
Brilliant thank you, that is helpful advice. Think I'm going to go out again later, it's quite addictive [emoji38]

IMG_4049.jpg

IMG_4054.jpg

IMG_4051.jpg
Yay nom noms! Fresh plantain is very nommy

Back