• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boo's dental thread

I've no idea how long but she is back for a check up on monday. I've never injected her before but I've never seen a bunny fuss having an injection - there's me to do that. May get OH to do it

I expect your Vet already gave you a practice session using saline, but this video may be useful to watch. It's the first bit that is relevent for Boo- 'giving a subcutaneous injection'. It is helpful to massage the injection site for a couple of minutes after administering the dose. Also, using a new needle to give the dose than the needle used to draw it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X0Ltpi66a4

Also, I expect the Vet warned you of the importance of cleaning off any leakage of Penicillin from the injection site/Boos fur and to keep her away from her friends for about 10 minutes after giving the injection. It's essential noBun ingests any penicillin that may leak out of the site

I am sure I am telling you things you already know, so feel free to tell me to do one ! :lol:

Thanks JJ. That burgess one I googled last night. I didn't know to keep them apart for 10 mins though so will do that. A bit did leak out, it didn't seem like when I got Noodleys wrong & it was the whole dose. Is this a technique issue, the leaking? I know its really toxic if ingested orally, I gave her a very thorough clean up . I only have 7 needles so can't use different one for drawing up

Thanks JJ. That burgess one I googled last night. I didn't know to keep them apart for 10 mins though so will do that. A bit did leak out, it didn't seem like when I got Noodleys wrong & it was the whole dose. Is this a technique issue, the leaking? I know its really toxic if ingested orally, I gave her a very thorough clean up . I only have 7 needles so can't use different one for drawing up

I'd ask the Vet for more needles. Once the needle has been used to draw up the dose it'll be somewhat blunted. So not only will this make it harder to give the injection it'll also make a bigger hole in the skin, giving more potential for leakage.

I'd ask the Vet for more needles. Once the needle has been used to draw up the dose it'll be somewhat blunted. So not only will this make it harder to give the injection it'll also make a bigger hole in the skin, giving more potential for leakage.

it takes me ages to get to that vet by bus - its 90 mins round trip by car (OH at work til Sunday now. He had to go there yesterday as had no penicillin on Monday) & my parents are due for visit anytime now ...we'll have to make do but I'll ask for more on Monday

Have they been pre-drawn? ie the syringes? If you're only expected to give seven doses I'm guessing you don't have a whole bottle?

Pre-drawn don't make it easier for you, as Penicillin can sometimes clog up.
Warming the penicillin by rolling it between my hands usually makes it go in easier.

If it's from a bottle, I always use a fresh needle to the one I drew the pen out with. It gets blunted going through the bung!

it takes me ages to get to that vet by bus - its 90 mins round trip by car (OH at work til Sunday now. He had to go there yesterday as had no penicillin on Monday) & my parents are due for visit anytime now ...we'll have to make do but I'll ask for more on Monday

Could they post them? CLV have posted Metacam to me in the past and charged postage at cost.

She has a 100 ml bottle & 7 syringes (or did) MM- I assume only 7 as she is back for a check up on Monday. Crab Lane always ave pre drawn. This way there is no clogging so far

BB- yep - Cl & A have both sent me bunny drugs in the post before though not syringes

injecting bunnies is like bunny pedicures but worse. I don't even like anybody else doing these things - though would choose a vets nurse or vet for the injecting. Boo is due a pedicure but my vet forgot whilst she was under GA & didn't want to bother her when dozy after her GA so said will do them Monday. I even feel anxious about that. Problem with Boo's neck / scruff is it is so damn hairy. I may have to give her a haircut. I used a fresh needle to draw & another to inject today & still got some oozing . If I don't get it perfect tomorrow I'll have to find a VN who does home visits - anyone does this? If so how can I track them down

injecting bunnies is like bunny pedicures but worse. I don't even like anybody else doing these things - though would choose a vets nurse or vet for the injecting. Boo is due a pedicure but my vet forgot whilst she was under GA & didn't want to bother her when dozy after her GA so said will do them Monday. I even feel anxious about that. Problem with Boo's neck / scruff is it is so damn hairy. I may have to give her a haircut. I used a fresh needle to draw & another to inject today & still got some oozing . If I don't get it perfect tomorrow I'll have to find a VN who does home visits - anyone does this? If so how can I track them down

You might find a pet sitter that's experienced/qualified .. one of the nurses might live out your way. Asking at the vets would be my first port of call. I was really stuck when Artie may have benefited from fluid injections but the stress of taking him to the vets would have outweighed it. I'm so lucky to be only 5 minutes from the local branch, it would be feasible to transport every day as I really would struggle to inject too. I hope you manage to find a solution. I'm wondering if the receptionist with 9 rabbits (and counting) lives out your way, I bet she's hands on as she takes on the battered and broken of this world.

You might find a pet sitter that's experienced/qualified .. one of the nurses might live out your way. Asking at the vets would be my first port of call. I was really stuck when Artie may have benefited from fluid injections but the stress of taking him to the vets would have outweighed it. I'm so lucky to be only 5 minutes from the local branch, it would be feasible to transport every day as I really would struggle to inject too. I hope you manage to find a solution. I'm wondering if the receptionist with 9 rabbits (and counting) lives out your way, I bet she's hands on as she takes on the battered and broken of this world.

Aw, that receptionist is fab. I'm so annoyed with myself because if it was that difficult they wouldn't let owners do it. Given the nature of Boo's predicament (& the size of the bottle) I really need to learn to do this well. Being able to see would make me feel more confident. going to have to give her a wee haircut then assess it from there

What I would do is to definitely cut the hair, so you can see what you're doing. Then when you go back on Monday, assuming Boo will still have to have them, I would ask one of the vet nurses to watch you do it (several times with saline if necessary), so she can see if you are doing anything wrong. I promise you, you will feel so pleased with yourself once you've mastered it :) But if you're like me, even then there will be times when It doesn't go perfectly.

What I would do is to definitely cut the hair, so you can see what you're doing. Then when you go back on Monday, assuming Boo will still have to have them, I would ask one of the vet nurses to watch you do it (several times with saline if necessary), so she can see if you are doing anything wrong. I promise you, you will feel so pleased with yourself once you've mastered it :) But if you're like me, even then there will be times when It doesn't go perfectly.

good advice though the idea of being watched gives me the willies. Boo is not so keen on your ideas - multiple stabbings & losing her beautiful fur:shock:

I'm going to stop domperidone after this evenings dose. I'll keep her on metacam til we see the vet. Her poo is great now & she is eating hay well

Another little story about injecting bunnies, I laugh about it now.

To set the scene

Noodley had been to see FHB & put on penicillin injections. All ok as OH had injected her before & was happy to do it. I hated injecting Noodle as I always seemed to shoot it right through her skin.

It was July 2012 & roasting hot. For the 1st time before & since OH had to work away. We had just moved in to the village in to a tiny renovated cottage that had huge glass doors front & back . The front entrance had a walled off courtyard thing so only our direct neighbour could see in to our house as they were approaching their own front door. I worked in an Alcohol & Drug Service at the time & had a horrible day, learning one of my favourite clients had fatally overdosed. So I already looked deranged with swollen eyes. Got home & changed in to short cotton PJS. Sat on floor with Noodle between my legs & messed up her injection & got it all over her fur. I was already prepared with a huge bowl of water & sponge so dowsed her with that. By then I was crying my eyes out, had syringe hanging out of my mouth, pyjamas so wet down my thighs that it looked liked I'd wet myself...staggered towards kitchen for fresh water or towels (I forget) only to see my neighbour coming home. She must have seen me & I can only imagine what she thought :lol:

To set the scene

Noodley had been to see FHB & put on penicillin injections. All ok as OH had injected her before & was happy to do it. I hated injecting Noodle as I always seemed to shoot it right through her skin.

It was July 2012 & roasting hot. For the 1st time before & since OH had to work away. We had just moved in to the village in to a tiny renovated cottage that had huge glass doors front & back . The front entrance had a walled off courtyard thing so only our direct neighbour could see in to our house as they were approaching their own front door. I worked in an Alcohol & Drug Service at the time & had a horrible day, learning one of my favourite clients had fatally overdosed. So I already looked deranged with swollen eyes. Got home & changed in to short cotton PJS. Sat on floor with Noodle between my legs & messed up her injection & got it all over her fur. I was already prepared with a huge bowl of water & sponge so dowsed her with that. By then I was crying my eyes out, had syringe hanging out of my mouth, pyjamas so wet down my thighs that it looked liked I'd wet myself...staggered towards kitchen for fresh water or towels (I forget) only to see my neighbour coming home. She must have seen me & I can only imagine what she thought :lol:

Oh no, what a tale :lol:

Can OH not do the injections for you?

I do know exactly what you mean about it seeping out. I think getting the angle straight as you inject should help with that. I find that I must NOT massage the area after the injection or it will also seep out! However, giving treats straight after will occupy bunny so that the meds has time to absorb :thumb:

I prefer to give injections rather than oral meds as mine struggle more and make a fuss when I try to put a syringe in their mouth but seem to take being stabbed with a needle in their stride. I don't like needles so it took a lot for me to be able to do it. I never did get the hang of administering sub cut fluids though:( I was mostly given meds already drawn up and think I was only given the bottle once.

Good luck with it all xxx

Oh no, what a tale :lol:

Can OH not do the injections for you?

I do know exactly what you mean about it seeping out. I think getting the angle straight as you inject should help with that. I find that I must NOT massage the area after the injection or it will also seep out! However, giving treats straight after will occupy bunny so that the meds has time to absorb :thumb:

I'm going to do a check list now. I'll check my angles again - top tip, thanks. OH isn't any more skilled than me it seems & I'm not sure I trust him anymore than I trust me. Plus I need to keep the time consistent - I do it when he's at work (better daylight)

I prefer to give injections rather than oral meds as mine struggle more and make a fuss when I try to put a syringe in their mouth but seem to take being stabbed with a needle in their stride. I don't like needles so it took a lot for me to be able to do it. I never did get the hang of administering sub cut fluids though:( I was mostly given meds already drawn up and think I was only given the bottle once.

Good luck with it all xxx

Thanks K. To be fair Boo doesn't seem to notice. She does hate oral meds though

To set the scene

Hilarious :lol: Tbh I would think your neighbour would not have noted any detail in what she had seen. It's the sort of situation where you quickly avert your eyes and keep looking the other way :lol:

Back