• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Are these normal stools?

Yesterday I took Icho (It was Tete, but they told me is a male so I decided to change its name) to the vet for his Myxomatosis and RHD vaccination. Of course he was very scared, but once we got home and he realized was safe he started again jumping, running, licking... all his normal stuff. But, this morning I was changing his litter and saw these two faeces... I have never seen them before, and got a bit worried. Are these normal stools?

No they aren't normal but the stress of the Vet's visit may have just upset him, so I would keep an eye on his poops and he should return to normal soon.

No they aren't normal but the stress of the Vet's visit may have just upset him, so I would keep an eye on his poops and he should return to normal soon.

I will keep an eye on him :( he is running at this moment, so I can't see anything wrong besides those faeces. Hopefully it was just a bit of stress...

Last edited:
It is normal for bunnies to produce some stools like these (they are called caecatrophs) but it's not normal for you to see them - bunnies produce two types of poos, the normal ones that you see, and these ones which they eat straight from their bums for a second time, yuk!! Sometimes they do excess ones of these, or they don't eat them for some reason, which does suggest that something isn't right either with diet, health or stress, but as yours went to the vet yesterday and you've never seen these before, I'd say it's most likely to be the stress of the visit and possibly the impact of the vaccine on his little body. So as long as he is perky and eating and drinking normally, just keep an eye out and hopefully things will return to normal very soon :D

It is normal for bunnies to produce some stools like these (they are called caecatrophs) but it's not normal for you to see them - bunnies produce two types of poos, the normal ones that you see, and these ones which they eat straight from their bums for a second time, yuk!! Sometimes they do excess ones of these, or they don't eat them for some reason, which does suggest that something isn't right either with diet, health or stress, but as yours went to the vet yesterday and you've never seen these before, I'd say it's most likely to be the stress of the visit and possibly the impact of the vaccine on his little body. So as long as he is perky and eating and drinking normally, just keep an eye out and hopefully things will return to normal very soon :D

He must be eating those as I have seen only the normal ones. On his litter there are only ordinary faeces at the moment. I haven't put hay today on his litter box as I want to see straight what is on it (Only newspaper sheets), and everything seems to be just fine :love:

He must be eating those as I have seen only the normal ones. On his litter there are only ordinary faeces at the moment. I haven't put hay today on his litter box as I want to see straight what is on it (Only newspaper sheets), and everything seems to be just fine :love:

Does he still have access to lots of hay to eat though?

Have you given him any green veg to eat? Dandelions, grasses etc, can sometimes cause darker urine

Have you given him any green veg to eat? Dandelions, grasses etc, can sometimes cause darker urine

The thing is I am worried about the white spot in the middle of both urine 'puddles'. I haven't ever seen this in Icho's wee. But I did see it in a video talking about rabbit's diseases.

And yes, yesterday I got a packet of dry grass. He has never tried it before, so I gave him just a bit to taste it.
So, after having seen this I took all the grass left and hay (just in case) and replace for new one (with no grass this time)

Do you think that white spots in the urine are common??

I have to say he's acting normally. Running, jumping to my bed and even his lovely kisses :roll:

Last edited:
Bunnies have a wide range of colours in their urine. Have you changed his diet at all or given something you don't usually?

Bunnies have a wide range of colours in their urine. Have you changed his diet at all or given something you don't usually?

I gave him grass yesterday, and as soon as I have seen this white powder in his urine I have taken it out. I am not worried about the wee's color. Is only the white stuff......

The white stains in the wee are excess calcium - every now and again is fine but if it's everyday his diet may be a bit high in calcium. Try not to panic, there's nothing wrong.

It's nothing to worry about if it is just occasionally. If he has a bottle, providing a bowl may help as rabbits with bowls find it easier to stay hydrated.

Lots of hay will help with the poos.

If you are worried about his diet, if you explain everything he eats on a typical day we can advise on it. Make sure you include the measurements of his food or some idea of how much you are feeding of each thing and also the brand of the product.

His diet should be a bit higher in calcium and protein than an adult rabbit anyway, as it helps them grow. What was the grass called?

The white stains in the wee are excess calcium - every now and again is fine but if it's everyday his diet may be a bit high in calcium. Try not to panic, there's nothing wrong.

It's nothing to worry about if it is just occasionally. If he has a bottle, providing a bowl may help as rabbits with bowls find it easier to stay hydrated.

Lots of hay will help with the poos.

If you are worried about his diet, if you explain everything he eats on a typical day we can advise on it. Make sure you include the measurements of his food or some idea of how much you are feeding of each thing and also the brand of the product.

His diet should be a bit higher in calcium and protein than an adult rabbit anyway, as it helps them grow. What was the grass called?

He has always Woodlands hay available. I give him a hand full of Camomile Harvest every 2 days. A spoon and a half of Mr Johnson's Advance Rabbit food in the morning and another in the evening. And because I have read is better not to give new vegetables to baby rabbits I just give him rocket and mint (morning and evening), as the person I got Icho from told me she was feeding them with this herbs.

Hopefully is fine, if not would be good to know!! as he is my first rabbit and miss experience. Thanks!!! ;)

He has always Woodlands hay available. I give him a hand full of Camomile Harvest every 2 days. A spoon and a half of Mr Johnson's Advance Rabbit food in the morning and another in the evening. And because I have read is better not to give new vegetables to baby rabbits I just give him rocket and mint (morning and evening), as the person I got Icho from told me she was feeding them with this herbs.

Hopefully is fine, if not would be good to know!! as he is my first rabbit and miss experience. Thanks!!! ;)

What was the grass called?

The things that he is eating are okay but he isn't eating enough hay, he should be eating a pile the size of himself every day. It may be that his hay needs refreshing more often (rabbits prefer fresh hay) or that he isn't that fond of the type you are buying. He may like other types better.

From what you've said, I think a lack of fibre in his diet has caused the uneaten caecotrophs/abnormal poos. The pellets you are feeding are okay but they aren't that high in fibre (17%) and he is not eating enough hay to compensate for this. I'm not suggesting you change the pellets (changes in food have to be done gradually and is best to be left till he is a little older) but he should eat more hay. Hay should make up about 80-90% of his diet.

What size spoon are you using for his pellets? How much rocket and mint do you give him? The quantities of what you feed are just as important as the food itself.

What was the grass called?

The things that he is eating are okay but he isn't eating enough hay, he should be eating a pile the size of himself every day. It may be that his hay needs refreshing more often (rabbits prefer fresh hay) or that he isn't that fond of the type you are buying. He may like other types better.

From what you've said, I think a lack of fibre in his diet has caused the uneaten caecotrophs/abnormal poos. The pellets you are feeding are okay but they aren't that high in fibre (17%) and he is not eating enough hay to compensate for this. I'm not suggesting you change the pellets (changes in food have to be done gradually and is best to be left till he is a little older) but he should eat more hay. Hay should make up about 80-90% of his diet.

What size spoon are you using for his pellets? How much rocket and mint do you give him? The quantities of what you feed are just as important as the food itself.

I am using a soup spoon for his pellets. And rocket/mint a handful. But in any case this Monday I am going to pop to the vet just in case... :(
(He has made again wee with these white stains... :cry: )

And the harvest is Woodlands as well, which he loves.

Last edited:
I am using a soup spoon for his pellets. And rocket/mint a handful. But in any case this Monday I am going to pop to the vet just in case... :(
(He has made again wee with these white stains... :cry: )

And the harvest is Woodlands as well, which he loves.

What was the dried grass you mentioned earlier called though? The one you said may have caused the problem. Can you tell me the type of grass or the brand name or anything it says on the packet?

The calcium in his wee is unlikely to be a health problem in a rabbit so young, it is likely a dietary problem, and nothing to panic about.

So if I read that correctly he is getting 2 handfuls of rocket and 2 handfuls of mint a day? I would say that's where your calcium is coming from.

His pellets are low in calcium (0.6%) and he's not getting very many so I doubt they are the issue.

Last edited:
What was the grass called though?

The calcium in his wee is unlikely to be a health problem in a rabbit so young, it is likely a dietary problem, and nothing to panic about.

So if I read that correctly he is getting 2 handfuls of rocket and 2 handfuls of mint a day? I would say that's where your calcium is coming from.

His pellets are low in calcium (0.6%) so I doubt they are the issue.

I didn't explain myself. I feed him 1 mixed handful of rocket/mint in the morning and another in the evening. And yes, sorry, the grass is called Readigrass. I think has been the grass because this has been right after he ate it...
Should I stop with greens or less pellets to increase his eaten hay? Although he is only 9-10 weeks...

Last edited:
I don't think the white in your rabbit's urine is anything to worry about. It is their way of excreting excess calcium which they can't use. At his age it won't be bladder sludge I wouldn't have thought. You could cut down on his veg a little, rabbits digest their food twice so can make use of small amounts.

I didn't explain myself. I feed him 1 mixed handful of rocket/mint in the morning and another in the evening. And yes, sorry, the grass is called Readigrass. I think has been the grass because this has been right after he ate it...
Should I stop with greens or less pellets to increase his eaten hay? Although he is only 9-10 weeks...

Readigrass is richer than normal hay, so should be introduced slowly, like you would greens/veggies. It is slightly higher in calcium than normal hay but generally lower than pellets or green leafy veg. It is high in fibre just like hay.

I would reduce the amount of rocket/mint to just one handful a day and see if that works. I wouldn't reduce the pellets, if anything at his age he should be having a few more - adult rabbits need about a tablespoon per kg of their body weight, but baby rabbits need more to grow. If you increase his pellets, make sure you do it slowly.

Also make sure he is drinking plenty of water, as that will help dilute his wee. If he has a bottle, give him a bowl instead and make sure to change the water at least once a day, preferably twice.

If you give him fresh hay more often he may eat more (minimum twice a day for a reluctant hay eater). Getting him into the habit of eating lots of hay from a baby will help prevent health problems later on.

I would try other hay brands to see if he eats more of those. The best hay that Pets at Home sell is Alfalfa King Timothy hay. Most people buy hay online as there is a lot more choice of better quality hay. Buying in bulk can also be a lot cheaper. I get my hay from these websites:
www.thehayexperts.co.uk
www.hayforpets.co.uk
www.timothyhay.co.uk

Calcium in the wee occasionally is nothing to worry about, it is natural. It would only cause health problems if it was long-term or if the rabbit was predisposed to things like kidney stones.

Last edited:
Readigrass is richer than normal hay, so should be introduced slowly, like you would greens/veggies. It is slightly higher in calcium than normal hay but generally lower than pellets or green leafy veg. It is high in fibre just like hay.

I would reduce the amount of rocket/mint to just one handful a day and see if that works. I wouldn't reduce the pellets, if anything at his age he should be having a few more - adult rabbits need about a tablespoon per kg of their body weight, but baby rabbits need more to grow. If you increase his pellets, make sure you do it slowly.

Also make sure he is drinking plenty of water, as that will help dilute his wee. If he has a bottle, give him a bowl instead and make sure to change the water at least once a day, preferably twice.

If you give him fresh hay more often he may eat more (minimum twice a day for a reluctant hay eater). Getting him into the habit of eating lots of hay from a baby will help prevent health problems later on.

I would try other hay brands to see if he eats more of those. The best hay that Pets at Home sell is Alfalfa King Timothy hay. Most people buy hay online as there is a lot more choice of better quality hay. Buying in bulk can also be a lot cheaper. I get my hay from these websites:
www.thehayexperts.co.uk
www.hayforpets.co.uk
www.timothyhay.co.uk

Calcium in the wee occasionally is nothing to worry about, it is natural. It would only cause health problems if it was long-term or if the rabbit was predisposed to things like kidney stones.

First of all, thanks so much indeed for that complete answer :thumb:

About the grass, I will introduce it very, very slowly ;) and regarding what you've said about pellets and greens sounds very sensible to me.
He is having water from a bowl. The very first day he came home I tried a bottle but he didn't like it. So I am keeping only his bowl so far.

To be honest he seems to be eating hay quite well, so I do not think there's a problem with this brand. But I will listen to you and start buying hay online. Probably I will get different types of hay to stimulate him :)

Thanks again for all your help :D:D

Back