• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD in Kidderminster!!!

Sorry for being totally stupid, but how does VHD actually spread? Is it likely to spread to places an hour or more away?
I'm sorry or all you bunny owners now worrying, must be awful :cry:

Sorry for being totally stupid, but how does VHD actually spread? Is it likely to spread to places an hour or more away?
I'm sorry or all you bunny owners now worrying, must be awful :cry:

If you read through the first post it tells you a little about how it can be spread :wave:

A human with OCD is more important than possible rabbits dying??
Yes I know rachy has issues but not as serious as a horrible death!
A LOT of rabbits dying!

Yes I know she is a human being, what about all the rabbits that would've died had this post not been made.
I would certainly rather have 1 upset person and a load of peoples much loved pets saved than keep quiet for the sake of one person and all those bunnies die.

What about the people with rabbits who suffer with severe depression and rabbits are their way of escaping? If there rabbits die because a post like this ISN'T made, what if that pushes them over the edge of depression and they commit suicide? For those people this could be life threatening to them as well as the rabbits.
Like I said I know how awful OCD can be but its not life threatening to her as this is to a LOT of rabbits. I didn't mean it in a hurtful way, its the truth! :|

Last edited:
I have never been to Kidderminster, but bit isn't far. So if I ever find myself in or around there, or have someone round who's been there, what extra precautions are needed? The bunnies are vaccinated already. People were mentioning special disinfectants? Are these special because they kill VHD, or special because people have allergies or other reasons? Can I just use normal disinfectants? Finally do I just wash clothes that may have been in contact normally or is there a special way to do that?

Lots of questions sorry! Especially as this is all "what if"! But Kidderminster is only an hour from me, so it's not impossible that I could end up being there or that the VHD could spread over here.

Good questions...its an hour and 20 from me...didnt realise it was so close untill i checked it :? mine are all vaccinated but the two little foster boys were only done thursday.

If your rabbits are up to date with their vaccinations then there is no need from concern :)

That's good :D they had their vaccines this week, so 3 weeks until that's active, but last years one shouldn't run out for another 6-7 weeks :thumb: I'm so glad I had them done early, I would've been worrying now very badly!

Please can we not turn this into a humans vs animals debate and keep it to advice on prevention and awareness of vhd

Liz, did you get any further with your query about avisafe? I've tried a quick google search but so far have only found info that states it's a broad spectrum disinfectant which kills bacteria, viruses, fungi and yeasts, but can't find any more specific info re. VHD.

Liz, did you get any further with your query about avisafe? I've tried a quick google search but so far have only found info that states it's a broad spectrum disinfectant which kills bacteria, viruses, fungi and yeasts, but can't find any more specific info re. VHD.

The best people to contact would be the manufacturer :)

How close is it to hopper haven? I'm fairly sure holly hasn't been jabbed in over a year because she's been too poorly. Would be really gutted if after all the life saving treatment she has received she gets ended by this awful illness..

Keeping everything crossed no more bunnies are killed by it :(

No not yet. I have been busy digging out vaccination cards to find out when every one is due!

How close is it to hopper haven? I'm fairly sure holly hasn't been jabbed in over a year because she's been too poorly. Would be really gutted if after all the life saving treatment she has received she gets ended by this awful illness..

I think it is, where are they as I'm not sure if I remember right?

Is it Redditch? if so its only afew minutes away :(

Where is hopper haven based? Can't find a location to check for you

eta: Redditch? Its half an hour away

Yes its Redditch/worcestershire :( please everyone keep some spare vibes for the hopper buns that are too poorly for vaccination and poor Lou who will have to deal with the fallout if it finds its way to her doors :cry:

Yes its Redditch/worcestershire :( please everyone keep some spare vibes for the hopper buns that are too poorly for vaccination and poor Lou who will have to deal with the fallout if it finds its way to her doors :cry:

It's awful when they are too ill for vaccs :(

Will be thinking of them and hoping they can stay clear of the infection x

Couldn't get through to the vet yesterday to ask for you :(

When does the combi vac become effective I'm worried as they were vaccd wed....

Couldn't get through to the vet yesterday to ask for you :(

When does the combi vac become effective I'm worried as they were vaccd wed....

3 weeks but if your buns have been vacc in the past they'll still have some protection, it doesn't just stop working after 6 months :)

Please can people not attack me, I had a seriously bad night last night, I wont go into detail as I am not looking for sympathy, I just dont want an argument for posting.
I know my illness does not come before the safety of peoples pets, Jimby and Cookie are my family so for me to loose them would kill me and I am sure a lot of people on here feel the same.
I know I am no longer welcome on this thread and probably the forum itself but would someone be kind enough to clarify something for me please?
This is 2.5hrs away from me, Jims had Anivac in Feb I think, Cookie is due in June so I will get her done in May.
The vaccine used for Jims had a use before June date- will this still protect for a year?
Are there any extra precautions I should be taking?
I.e- if I go out to say Guildford where other people are do I NEED to strip off as soon as I walk through the door incase they have been near that area?
Do I NEED to wipe anything that I have purchased incase someone with connections to the outbreak touched it before me?
Are Jimby and Cookie at risk?
Does anyone know how many bunnies have been killed so far? :cry:

Last edited:
Back